Electrical Damage Caused By Water in Tailgate

Ricky Singh

Hi All,

I purchased VW Tiguan from a Main Dealer a couple of years ago.

Fast forward to today, last week the Electric Tailgate Button (the button to close the boot) stopped working. I sent the car to my local VW for inspection and they found a build up of water in the Tailgate which has cause significant damage/rust to the electric wiring/connections - and hence why that button no longer works.

The water had built up because the drain pipe that guides the water out of the tailgate had come off (or perhaps had always been off) and we started to discuss how this drain pipe could have come loose. I explained to the Technician that before the car was delivered to me I asked for a reversing camera to be installed, and he said in this case it is most likely that the engineer who fitted the reversing camera forgot to reconnect the drain pipe after fitting in the camera (which sounds plausible to me).

As the car has always had an electric tailgate it's unlikely it would have come loose during normal use of the boot as it opens and closes very gently rather than being slammed shut, and it's not a part of the car that an average user would have access to.

I now have a bill of £2k+ to rectify this issue and the original dealer is not claiming responsibility for this (apparently they outsource camera installations to another company). In addition the car is under warranty but it is not covered for water ingress - however my view is there wouldn't be water ingress if the drain pipe had been connected in the first place.

Can anyone advise what I should do please?

Appreciate anyones help/advice. Thank you.

Martin Lewis has some good guides on both consumer rights and how to effectively complain, all the way up to small claims courts. I'd start there.

In general outsourcing isn't your issue if your contract was with the dealer, that's the dealers problem. Unless they simply recommend the service and you paid separately.

As others have pointed out the knowledge around here is mostly to do with VW Transporters rather than VW in general. Good luck.

Back