Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Mojo,
The 130 kg I posted is a best guess with the 75kg included by VW for the driver and a 90% full tank of fuel. Either way you should be under the 2040 and therefore meet the definition of dual use and be subject to the car speed limit regulations. You did good sums! ;-)
Cheers mate! @Thogg I suppose the best thing to do is as you suggested and get it weighed empty and keep the certificate as proof...

Just been to the local tip with three bin bags of garden waste and they wouldn't let me in....WTF!!! The gate Gestapo said it was a van so not allowed...I argued it had seats in the back and windows etc. so MPV but they weren't having any of it and told me I'd have to take some forms and go and apply to Leeds City Council for a permit...JEEZUS!!!!!

Just been to the local tip with three bin bags of garden waste and they wouldn't let me in....WTF!!! The gate Gestapo said it was a van so not allowed...I argued it had seats in the back and windows etc. so MPV but they weren't having any of it and told me I'd have to take some forms and go and apply to Leeds City Council for a permit...JEEZUS!!!!!
....and people wonder why fly tipping is on the increase!!

My wife's granddad has a 90 Defender and a much bigger LC Amazon.
Guess which one isn't allowed to the tip?!!

Last edited:
My wife has a 90 Defender and a much bigger LC Amazon.
Guess which one isn't allowed to the tip?!!
My 110 is classed as a commercial but (so far at least) I've had no problems taking stuff to the local tip in it.

Same issue with the tips here that are operated by Oxfordshire County Council. No vans, and no other vehicle where the load bed is separate from the passenger cabin, such as L200's (i.e. 4x4 with 'pick-up') , as they are perceived by the council as predominantly used by builders, and therefore no-one else in their right mind would have one, so must be tipping commercial waste! This could be why the Defender is not allowed, whereas the LC Amazon is - there is no bulkhead in the Amazon separating the load bed. If however the defender you have is not a 'pick-up' then there should be no reason for not allowing it in.

I am currently renovating my own house, at weekends and days-off. I am not a builder, therefore I do not have trade waste. I went on-line to get a free pass from OxCC that would allow me to make 12 visits per year, however, when I put in my postcode I couldn't proceed any further as technically I live in south northants, but have an Ox postcode, and the nearest tip is an OCC one. I then phoned up South Northants to ask whether I needed a pass, and they said so long as the van is under 3.5 tonnes they didn't care. Therefore I had to travel further to recycle my rubbish - how's that better for the environment? Ironic!!!!!!!

Leeds City council won't allow my T32 in, and only allow vans/Kombis up to 3 tonne, so a T30. If its something thats not too big, I make a point of parking by the gates and walking in with it. I've told them its this or fly tipping, they didn't argue.

I go to the tip so rarely I'm just going to get a free pass from the council. 12 visits in 12 months. I'm lucky if I do 2!

Hull city council are cool cats.i just go and if they do ask I show them rear seat and they let me straight in

Leeds City council won't allow my T32 in, and only allow vans/Kombis up to 3 tonne, so a T30. If its something thats not too big, I make a point of parking by the gates and walking in with it. I've told them its this or fly tipping, they didn't argue.
I said I was going to do that while trying to argue my case today and he smugly pointed to a 'No Pedestrians" sign...

The guys near me are alright about it, and told me they think it's stupid and how most of the Chelsea tractors that use the place could weigh over 3 tonnes.

This is a great thread, thanks to the hive mind, has answered a lot of questions.

As I understand it the HMRC has different requirements meaning there is a "best of both worlds" possible, with the 1 tonne plus payload that they are interested in and the sub 2040KG weight for the full speed allowance.

I'm really hoping my new order falls into the "best of both worlds" category. Would really love to maintain full speed possibilities, more than the payload really, as I'm charging mileage rather than going the BIK route, but I think the 1 tonne payload would be good for resale value possibly.

I don't know if I'm sailing dangerously close to the wind with a T32 102PS highline coming in at (2046-130=) 1916 actual unladen; with extras of a dual passenger seat, additional drivers side sliding door and a second battery, don't know if there's any way to find out.

Spoke to the dealer last week, he said VW have very recently stopped producing T30s with a front dual passenger seat for UK market, as HMRC were getting a bit upset with the fact that this puts the payload under a tonne but they were still being classed as goods vehicles. So as I definitely want a dual passenger seat, a T32 it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back