Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a great thread, thanks to the hive mind, has answered a lot of questions.

As I understand it the HMRC has different requirements meaning there is a "best of both worlds" possible, with the 1 tonne plus payload that they are interested in and the sub 2040KG weight for the full speed allowance.

I'm really hoping my new order falls into the "best of both worlds" category. Would really love to maintain full speed possibilities, more than the payload really, as I'm charging mileage rather than going the BIK route, but I think the 1 tonne payload would be good for resale value possibly.

I don't know if I'm sailing dangerously close to the wind with a T32 102PS highline coming in at (2046-130=) 1916 actual unladen; with extras of a dual passenger seat, additional drivers side sliding door and a second battery, don't know if there's any way to find out.

This is a great thread, thanks to the hive mind, has answered a lot of questions.

As I understand it the HMRC has different requirements meaning there is a "best of both worlds" possible, with the 1 tonne plus payload that they are interested in and the sub 2040KG weight for the full speed allowance.

I'm really hoping my new order falls into the "best of both worlds" category. Would really love to maintain full speed possibilities, more than the payload really, as I'm charging mileage rather than going the BIK route, but I think the 1 tonne payload would be good for resale value possibly.

I don't know if I'm sailing dangerously close to the wind with a T32 102PS highline coming in at (2046-130=) 1916 actual unladen; with extras of a dual passenger seat, additional drivers side sliding door and a second battery, don't know if there's any way to find out.
The only definitive way to find out Matt is to visit a weighstation and put your unladen vehicle on it. Should only cost about £7 - £10 and you can keep the printout as evidence of the vehicle weight.

Ahhh.... I don't have the definitive answer on that I'm afraid.. I'd be surprised if the sliding door, seat and battery came to 124kg but I just don't know..
I would say this... you will have had to REALLY annoyed the officer dealing with you to get them that interested in the extra items vs the specification from VW!!

I haven't read all this thread yet, but it is interesting and I will do. But just to write that my understanding is that a motorhome can do the same as a car because it is a pleasure vehicle, and so is not expected to carry heavy loads. So I presume that once the vehicle is registered as a motorhome with dvla then you can then do the car limits. I was also told that speed cameras now read the number plate as they clock it, so it automatically knows the speed your vehicle is allowed. It is tough when I am in a swb low roof 84 power t6 with windows all round and sun roof etc and only ever have 2 airbeds in the back. Also, other road users think I am going deliberately slow and then drive dangerously.

Just to through my 2p in the discussion I rang DVLA on Wednesday and said that mine started out as a panel van and now has been converted professionally into a Kombi. Therefore now classes as a " multi purpose vehicle " and thus meaning higher speed limit. The nice chap on phone advised me to send V5 in with covering letter explaining mods Inc pictures of rear seat and at least one showing number plate and they would change the classification and send new V5 to me.

Mine is a t6 kombi 150 lwb t32 and is Delaware vehicle category N1 meaning a van not more than 3500 kg

Just to through my 2p in the discussion I rang DVLA on Wednesday and said that mine started out as a panel van and now has been converted professionally into a Kombi. Therefore now classes as a " multi purpose vehicle " and thus meaning higher speed limit. The nice chap on phone advised me to send V5 in with covering letter explaining mods Inc pictures of rear seat and at least one showing number plate and they would change the classification and send new V5 to me.
Good skills. I would suggest also going a bit above and beyond in the covering letter and ensuring you mention window areas etc... basically ensure that all parts of the definition are covered. Then keep all the correspondence handy so if you ever get stopped (rather than pinged by a camera) and there is any dispute, you are able to show that you are knowledgeable on the subject and can back up your claims. Never rely totally on the systems being right. They are only as good as the person that enters the data. Personally, when I stop someone and they know their stuff and have docs to back it up, it makes life a lot easier for everyone.

This is all sooooo complicated. Personally, in my 180 manual Kombi T32 I'll be sticking to the lower limits, my licence is far to valuable to me, and knowing my luck I'd loose the argument.
Besides I like chillin as I drive my big ole fun bus, so why make the journey end quicker? In the grand scheme of things it only ever costs you a few more minutes by going a bit slower.

This is all sooooo complicated. Personally, in my 180 manual Kombi T32 I'll be sticking to the lower limits, my licence is far to valuable to me, and knowing my luck I'd loose the argument.
Besides I like chillin as I drive my big ole fun bus, so why make the journey end quicker? In the grand scheme of things it only ever costs you a few more minutes by going a bit slower.
Can't argue with that..

Good thread. My lwb T32 Kombi has an in service mass of 2156kg according to V5, which I think is the same as kerb weight and with full tank of fuel etc. This weight is still greater than those mentioned so I think lower limits apply. Bit of a pain as I can't legally pass a HGV on single carriageway road as their limit was increased from 40 to 50. Never mind, life goes to quick to rush. Just enjoy your T6

So...if I'm getting this right, my T32 swb 150dsg Kombi Highline shows as 2088 kg unladen on VW's spec. If I subtract 130kg for driver and fuel it comes down to 1958kg unladen... so I'm under the magic 2040kg?? So can I drive at 70mph not 60mph on a dual carriageway??...confused dot com!

So...if I'm getting this right, my T32 swb 150dsg Kombi Highline shows as 2088 kg unladen on VW's spec. If I subtract 130kg for driver and fuel it comes down to 1958kg unladen... so I'm under the magic 2040kg?? So can I drive at 70mph not 60mph on a dual carriageway??...confused dot com!
Hi @Mojo,
The 130 kg I posted is a best guess with the 75kg included by VW for the driver and a 90% full tank of fuel. Either way you should be under the 2040 and therefore meet the definition of dual use and be subject to the car speed limit regulations. You did good sums! ;-)

Hi @Mojo,
The 130 kg I posted is a best guess with the 75kg included by VW for the driver and a 90% full tank of fuel. Either way you should be under the 2040 and therefore meet the definition of dual use and be subject to the car speed limit regulations. You did good sums! ;-)
What about if you have added permanently fitted extras, e.g. tow bars, leisure batteries, etc.??

A fairly unladen 204 Transporter would be properly nippy. How annoying if it has to stick to lower limits - that would drive me potty.
Very easy for the speed to creep up with the 204 - it's so quiet yet powerful.

One thing I have noticed though - it just doesn't sound powerful at all! No deep rumble, exhaust noise or anything. It's like being propelled at speed by a Magimix engine.

What about if you have added permanently fitted extras, e.g. tow bars, leisure batteries, etc.??
Hi Dave,
If they are permanently fitted then they contribute to the unladen weight.... However... as I mentioned earlier.. you will have needed to seriously upset the officer dealing with you for them to start factoring this in rather than taking the VW posted weights. hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back