Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, I was waiting at a bus stop in Manchester a while ago (due to enforced 56 day break from driving) and counted on average 1 in 8 drivers were texting/ facebooking/ instagramming etc on their phones whilst driving. Static cameras wont catch them.
#notbitter :)

Version 1.2- a simple statement that the kombi is a dual purpose vehicle.
HMRC certainly view the VW Kombi as a dual purpose vehicle (or "multi-purpose vehicle" to be exact). Just search for "HMRC v Coa Cola"!

A friend has just bought a t6 t30 combi and the dealers have got him a letter from the dvla stating that he is classed as a car for speed limits, apparently t32 aren't due to weight, admit I haven't seen letter as yet, am aiming to next time I see him

Agreed, I was waiting at a bus stop in Manchester a while ago (due to enforced 56 day break from driving) and counted on average 1 in 8 drivers were texting/ facebooking/ instagramming etc on their phones whilst driving. Static cameras wont catch them.

Only 1 in 8. That sounds low given what I see every day

Has anyone got the time in their life to read that? And if they have can you tell me what it says in a few words! :thumbsup:

Has anyone got the time in their life to read that? And if they have can you tell me what it says in a few words! :thumbsup:
Sure!

It is a VAT case about whether or not VW Kombi vans are cars, commercial vehicles or something else. Answer- they are not commercial vehicles for VAT purposes. There have no primary function- therefore they are not commercial vehicles. Just because they look like vans is not important.

"So what" you might say- we are bothered about speed limits, and so the speed limit regulations about cars, dual purpose vehicles and vans / commercial vehicles must apply.

Yes that's true.

But the lawyers / courts will want to know if Parliament can really have intended for the same vehicle (a VW Kombi) to be both:

1. not a commercial vehicle for VAT purposes

AND

2. A commercial vehicle for speed limit purposes. (or any other purpose for that matter).

I'd sat "NO-Because that would be ridiculous."

Ed

I've had an interesting read on here this morning and I dug out my log book.
It reads
Mass In Service as 2004.
Van/Side Windows
So if I went to court with a speeding ticket for a van...I could fight it and win....as I'm governed by the car speed limit.
Or have I misread and got it all wrong.
15673239560415741753864876383765.jpg

I believe that you would have to satisfy them that it is a dual purpose vehicle for car speed limits to apply- side windows, rear window and permanently fitted rear seats.

I've had an interesting read on here this morning and I dug out my log book.
It reads
Mass In Service as 2004.
Van/Side Windows
So if I went to court with a speeding ticket for a van...I could fight it and win....as I'm governed by the car speed limit.
Or have I misread and got it all wrong.
View attachment 49957
It's based on the cat N1 or M1. Unfortunately your n1 so your in the lower limit category am afraid

Hmm, just read through this whole thread with a bit of dread as i pick up my new van in a couple of weeks.... will have to weigh it and see where i get to.

Totally follow the dual purpose argument, makes perfect sense. But what i don't get is the concept of a double offence, of exceeding both the national speed limit and the speed limit for a vehicle (see post 69 above, for example). Surely exceeding the speed limit is one offence, and that limit can be lower (on dual or single carriageway) if it's a not with the dual purpose classification? How do you get to two separate offences?

It's based on the cat N1 or M1. Unfortunately your n1 so your in the lower limit category am afraid

I dont think that is correct, a Kombi can be N1, and car speed limits apply- providing the dual purpose criteria it met.

Hmm, just read through this whole thread with a bit of dread as i pick up my new van in a couple of weeks.... will have to weigh it and see where i get to.

Totally follow the dual purpose argument, makes perfect sense. But what i don't get is the concept of a double offence, of exceeding both the national speed limit and the speed limit for a vehicle (see post 69 above, for example). Surely exceeding the speed limit is one offence, and that limit can be lower (on dual or single carriageway) if it's a not with the dual purpose classification? How do you get to two separate offences?

I believe the lower of the 2 speed limits will apply and it’s one offence, so if you were in a van on an A road with national speed limit (60mph) and your van was limited to 50mph (as a commercial vehicle) and you were caught doing 80 mph then you would be 30 over your limit and in licence losing territory ( as a opposed to being 20 over and facing points and a fine if you were driving a car or Motorhome)

Thanks, that's what i would have expected, but there seems to be some suggestion above of there being two offences. Perhaps I've misunderstood, but see post 79 above

Thanks, that's what i would have expected, but there seems to be some suggestion above of there being two offences. Perhaps I've misunderstood, but see post 79 above

Hmm, I not sure either now as the op of post 79 speaks from experience but I have never heard of that before and my whole working life has been spent around commercial vehicles.

I am aware for a friend of a friend who a fighting to keep his licence after being caught doing 80 something on an A road, is argument was that his van was a Motorhome and as such he was still speeding but at a lesser amount than the paperwork said, his van was not registered as a Motorhome (it was a T32 also)

Speeding is an absolute offence so I would be surprised if you can be prosecuted for 2 different offences for the same speed, however if the previous poster has experience then...

More research needed I think.

@Gadgets, any chance you can shed a bit more light on your experience of the double offence, as set out in post 79?

@Thogg, you seem extremely knowledgeable on this, any further insight?

Thanks guys

Thogg is a traffic cop so that’s the direction where his info was coming from but he has left the forum now unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back