Uncomfortable drivers seat

We went down to Cornwall earlier this year, got about half way after around 3 hours and the bottom of my back/top of my backside was sore. Stopped for a while and it eased but it was sore again after the next run. It was the first time since getting the van that I drove any real distance, the van had done around 53k miles when I got it. If nobody else has had a similar experience then I guess it could be the seat position but it feels more like there’s not enough cushion for my 14st backside! I don’t really want to change the seat cushion and find it doesn’t solve the problem.

I can struggle at the end of a long journey. Lower back in particular, like it needs more lumbar support but it's on the max.

There are so many variables at play here - weight, height, body proportions, core strength, medical history, seat position etc.

I drove 1,000 km in a day in our T6 last year up through Spain and France - absolutely no pains whatsoever.

Pete

@Pete C we had the same trip planned for this year but had to cancel ‘cos of COVID. Can I ask how many miles your van (seat) has done?

24,000 miles
2016 Trendline - standard cloth drivers seat.

My wife was sat beside me on the 2 person bench seat, which is less comfortable, and she was fine too.

Pete

Having done a few long trips , I found I got a sore shoulder at first but my body (muscles) adapted after a while then it was fine. Have had to do a few 1000km days and then a few things start to hurt but it does in most vehicles. I found having the armrest down a great help and trying multiple seat positions good as it relieves different muscles in your trunk.

I drove for 8 hours with two 5 minute piss stops yesterday. I find the Captains chair very comfortable, I have it at max height, fairly upright back and make use of the arm rests. I’m average height and not overweight.
It’s a very subjective matter as most of us carry varying degrees of accumulated back injury and we’re all different shapes and sizes. I find having the seat height high much more comfortable that a lower, laid back relaxed position.
Agreed, I find having the seat high and the back quite upright makes it very comfortable for long journeys, as well as helping me stay alert.
Slightly off topic, but my first thought on reading your post was that an EV Transporter won't suit you, 8 hours driving with two five minute breaks? Not in an electric one!!!

Reactions: DXX
I have this problem ahead of me. Can someone point me at a thread that explains which seats are a straight fit?

I'm trying to work out Amarok seats, but not got very far

I'm another one who finds the drivers seat (T6) comfortable enough over a long trip but I've also got to say that at just over 6' (1.85M) tall, I'm right at the limit of how far it can go back with the slight recline that I prefer. That's in a camper conversion and I can't help thinking that I just wouldn't have enough room if the bulkhead was still in place.

Having upgraded from a T5 3 weeks ago I'm struggling to get comfortable in my T6, In fact its unbearable after 20mins driving. I'm suffering from pain in the back of my right thigh, something I never felt in the T5 so much so I spent the day on the road in my old T5 yesterdayo_O

I've adjusted the seat every which way even getting a bit geeky and counting the number of clicks back and up on the T5 and adjusting the T6 to suit. It feels as if the pedals are higher in the T6 with my heel on the floor my toe is just touching the bottom edge of the throttle and I have to lift my foot onto the brake.

Im 6'2 and size 12 feet and the difference between vans is T5 manual & T6 Dsg
Has anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts on what I could try to alleviate the problem?

Its that bad I may have to consider chopping it in for something else or maybe trying a manual:(
Hi.... I just came across this forum.. and see you are not feeling comfy with the pedals, seat of T6 and it sounded so familiar :). I tried to find stuff on the internet and didn´t find anything else than this forum. I live in spain.. and have a Caravelle. From day 1 (have had it for 2 years) i´ve felt uncomfortable. You are either too close to the pedals (when being ok with steering wheel) so that your legs have to lift up all the time when clutching, accelerating etc.. or you are too far away from the steering wheel when your legs are feeling ok as opposed to the pedals. And now the funny thing :)..and I have discovered it only after 2 years (so stupid, but I guess you all know this feature I will refer to now). As you know you have this handle to adjust the steering wheel... and I used it more than a thousand time until someone ( a transporter owner to whom I told my story about not being comfy) he said the steering wheel can be pulled towards yourself. ..i.e. not just up and down but also in and outwards. Mine was completely in. So now, with the steering wheel pulled out at the max.. my legs are finally ok proportion wise with pedals and steering wheel and seat and it makes such a huge difference. Another tip,, put a piece of wood below the carpet. This way your foot is higher vis a vis the pedals and you can leave the heel on the surface and switch between accelerator and brake without lifting your legg almost as if it was a normal car. This all has saved me from selling the car.. I was about to sell it. I must confess I have back problems.. so perhaps if I hadn´t had backproblems the thing with the steering wheel wouldn´t have been that important for my case

• Love
Reactions: CAB
I know this post is old but did VWJAY get to the bottom of it ? I have a 2017 caravelle and I am suffering the same problem ? Right thigh pain and knee cap pain ???
Thanks
I .. have just replied this to VWJAY.. but perhaps it is useful for you too.. I have had backpain too and hip.. and now so much better. . this was my reply

¨Hi.... I just came across this forum.. and see you are not feeling comfy with the pedals, seat of T6 and it sounded so familiar :). I tried to find stuff on the internet and didn´t find anything else than this forum. I live in spain.. and have a Caravelle. From day 1 (have had it for 2 years) i´ve felt uncomfortable. You are either too close to the pedals (when being ok with steering wheel) so that your legs have to lift up all the time when clutching, accelerating etc.. or you are too far away from the steering wheel when your legs are feeling ok as opposed to the pedals. And now the funny thing :)..and I have discovered it only after 2 years (so stupid, but I guess you all know this feature I will refer to now). As you know you have this handle to adjust the steering wheel... and I used it more than a thousand time until someone ( a transporter owner to whom I told my story about not being comfy) he said the steering wheel can be pulled towards yourself. ..i.e. not just up and down but also in and outwards. Mine was completely in. So now, with the steering wheel pulled out at the max.. my legs are finally ok proportion wise with pedals and steering wheel and seat and it makes such a huge difference. Another tip,, put a piece of wood below the carpet. This way your foot is higher vis a vis the pedals and you can leave the heel on the surface and switch between accelerator and brake without lifting your legg almost as if it was a normal car. This all has saved me from selling the car.. I was about to sell it. I must confess I have back problems.. so perhaps if I hadn´t had backproblems the thing with the steering wheel wouldn´t have been that important for my case

I .. have just replied this to VWJAY.. but perhaps it is useful for you too.. I have had backpain too and hip.. and now so much better. . this was my reply

¨Hi.... I just came across this forum.. and see you are not feeling comfy with the pedals, seat of T6 and it sounded so familiar :). I tried to find stuff on the internet and didn´t find anything else than this forum. I live in spain.. and have a Caravelle. From day 1 (have had it for 2 years) i´ve felt uncomfortable. You are either too close to the pedals (when being ok with steering wheel) so that your legs have to lift up all the time when clutching, accelerating etc.. or you are too far away from the steering wheel when your legs are feeling ok as opposed to the pedals. And now the funny thing :)..and I have discovered it only after 2 years (so stupid, but I guess you all know this feature I will refer to now). As you know you have this handle to adjust the steering wheel... and I used it more than a thousand time until someone ( a transporter owner to whom I told my story about not being comfy) he said the steering wheel can be pulled towards yourself. ..i.e. not just up and down but also in and outwards. Mine was completely in. So now, with the steering wheel pulled out at the max.. my legs are finally ok proportion wise with pedals and steering wheel and seat and it makes such a huge difference. Another tip,, put a piece of wood below the carpet. This way your foot is higher vis a vis the pedals and you can leave the heel on the surface and switch between accelerator and brake without lifting your legg almost as if it was a normal car. This all has saved me from selling the car.. I was about to sell it. I must confess I have back problems.. so perhaps if I hadn´t had backproblems the thing with the steering wheel wouldn´t have been that important for my case
So interesting.
I have never found the T6 seats comfortable, with similar discomfort to the right hip. I can’t say that it is related, but I am now getting a hip replacement in February. Folks, if your seat is causing discomfort, get it sorted, just in case.

Reactions: CAB
Back