[GUIDE] Which headrest matches my seat?

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Mini-guide to headrests, since I just had a question asked about it...

What's a skinny headrest?
What's the difference between this and a normal one?

The T5 headrests were "fat", then late T5 they launched skinnier ones. The exception is the Caravelle which has fat adjustable headrests even today.

IMG_20210823_110426~2.jpg

Any other gotchas?

Yes, of course, this is VW we're talking about! The skinny headrests from a T5 only fit T5 headrest sockets. They moved to T5.1/T6 headrest sockets down the line. The difference is the height stops are on the side of the pole on later headrests, so they need different sockets.

PXL_20210823_101324330~2.jpg

Anything else?

Well...the front seats with deeper padding have special headrest sockets that are angled and longer.

It that it?

Almost, then you have to watch for colour of sockets...

PXL_20210629_153610492~3.jpg

Surely that's all there is to know?

Erm...oh yeah, T5 fat headrests have removable covers so you can machine wash them, not so with the skinny ones.

Okay, so if I have fat headrests I can replace them with any fat headrest?

Not quite, the fat ones changed too...

PXL_20210823_102141287.jpg

Okay, so I can replace my grey headrest for a replacement grey headrest?

Sure...but is the fabric course or smooth? And does it have leather (vinyl) sides or fabric sides? And which way round are your headrest sockets?

Jeez....well my headrest has circular height stops all the way down it, what should I do?

Get your money back, that's from a Caddy :)

Mini-guide to headrests, since I just had a question asked about it...

What's a skinny headrest?
What's the difference between this and a normal one?

The T5 headrests were "fat", then late T5 they launched skinnier ones. The exception is the Caravelle which has fat adjustable headrests even today.

View attachment 128083

Any other gotchas?

Yes, of course, this is VW we're talking about! The skinny headrests from a T5 only fit T5 headrest sockets. They moved to T5.1/T6 headrest sockets down the line. The difference is the height stops are on the side of the pole on later headrests, so they need different sockets.

View attachment 128084

Anything else?

Well...the front seats with deeper padding have special headrest sockets that are angled and longer.

It that it?

Almost, then you have to watch for colour of sockets...

View attachment 128085

Surely that's all there is to know?

Erm...oh yeah, T5 fat headrests have removable covers so you can machine wash them, not so with the skinny ones.

Okay, so if I have fat headrests I can replace them with any fat headrest?

Not quite, the fat ones changed too...

View attachment 128086

Okay, so I can replace my grey headrest for a replacement grey headrest?

Sure...but is the fabric course or smooth? And does it have leather (vinyl) sides or fabric sides? And which way round are your headrest sockets?

Jeez....well my headrest has circular height stops all the way down it, what should I do?

Get your money back, that's from a Caddy :)
Wow great work!

Back