Uncomfortable drivers seat

Note: I found the driver seat adjustment didn't provide sufficient seat base tilt. The base should really be lower at the front than the back to enable a natural sitting posture. Short distances caused me back pain!!
When reinstalling the seat base, I fitted additional spacers at the rear on the floor. The base now tilts forward, which enables improved seat adjustment.
Result > I travelled down to EvoDesign @ Poole today. A round trip of 540 miles with no resulting pain :)

Nope, it's not that brutal, it enables the correct posture. "Google" it.. A had a session with a posture consultant years ago and he set my car up. It's not the seat, it's the way it's set up :)

Interesting. I found exactly the opposite in my case, I had to build up the front to give better thigh support. I could only add 25mm though so although it helped, is not really enough, though the real problem is that the squab is too short so I'm perched on the edge. Just shows that one size doesn't fit all.

Mine are the factory swivel seats though and aren't adjustable for tilt so I'm probably working from a different baseline anyway

I'm not blown away by the seats either, the seats in my Touareg are very comfy, but the T6 not so much.

I'm 6ft 7" so I expect a certain amount of discomfort no matter what I drive. I'll definitely be getting a local upholsterer to take a look, I've just had my seats trimmed as part of a conversion but apparently whoever trimmed them couldn't modify the existing seat at all.

Hi, was wondering if VWJay has an update on how he has gotten on with his uncomfortable t6? I have just got a t6 converted into a campervan and am getting right buttock / lower back pain after only 30 minutes or so.

I am surprised by this as I previously had a BMW 5 Series which gave me awful back pain. Unlike T6, it was really low slung with the pedals nearly level with my bum. I had to get rid of it in the end and went to a VW Tiguan, much more upright, proper sitting position. I never have a had a problem with this car... am therefore surprised to be getting back issues with the t6, give it is even more upright than the tiguan

VWJay, did you consider putting the t5 seat into the t6? Would be interested to know if this was an option - a straight swap to the older model seat.

I have also noticed the steering wheels and pedals are quite off to the right (UK model). Perhaps this a problem? Was this the same on the T5?

Thanks and good luck - am getting a bit worried myself after having spent a small fortune on a bells and whistles conversion!

I know that this may be glaringly obvious, but do any of you ‘uncomfortable people’ carry your wallet in your a*se pockets? I stopped a few years ago upon advice from my ‘back doctor’ and it’s been comfort all the way since.

Hi, was wondering if @VWJAY has an update on how he has gotten on with his uncomfortable t6? I have just got a t6 converted into a campervan and am getting right buttock / lower back pain after only 30 minutes or so.

I am surprised by this as I previously had a BMW 5 Series which gave me awful back pain. Unlike T6, it was really low slung with the pedals nearly level with my bum. I had to get rid of it in the end and went to a VW Tiguan, much more upright, proper sitting position. I never have a had a problem with this car... am therefore surprised to be getting back issues with the t6, give it is even more upright than the tiguan

VWJay, did you consider putting the t5 seat into the t6? Would be interested to know if this was an option - a straight swap to the older model seat.

I have also noticed the steering wheels and pedals are quite off to the right (UK model). Perhaps this a problem? Was this the same on the T5?

Thanks and good luck - am getting a bit worried myself after having spent a small fortune on a bells and whistles conversion!

I wonder - does the Tiguan seat fit the T6 rails?

I know that this may be glaringly obvious, but do any of you ‘uncomfortable people’ carry your wallet in your a*se pockets? I stopped a few years ago upon advice from my ‘back doctor’ and it’s been comfort all the way since.
No. The T5 seat was no better either. I find it just too small, my thighs slide off the sides when cornering and feel like I’m perched on the edge (I’m 5’8” fairly slim build). The squab is too flat and just isn’t long enough to be supportive.

The only customising I’ve seen is a company fitting the back of a Recaro from another VW to the existing squab. I can see why they do that, because it’s easy and doesn’t require altering the mounting, but it doesn’t solve any problems. Now fitting the existing backrest, with armrests attached, to a sports style/Recaro base with extended thigh support, that I’d buy straight away.

Yes, my pedal sits a bit high and I've got big feet and long legs, fortunately mine's an auto so I can get by, but a manual would be agony.

I've gotten used to the seats now though, they've moulded to my arse.

Is it the brake pedal by any chance? I love the comfort of my T6’s captain chair, but I feel like the brake pedal is too high, aches my foot when I’m driving around the city using it often.
I reckon also that the brake pedal sits a tad too high. I don’t get uncomfortable as such, but on a couple of occasions my right foot has struck the side of the brake pedal instead of sitting on it. I tend to drive with my seat jacked up as high as poss, and this does help somewhat. It’s a DSG box, but not sure if height is any different from a stick.

Back