Uncomfortable drivers seat

The lowest setting on the seat is definitely higher than the T5.1 was and isn't as comfortable for me. I feel I'm sitting on the seat where I was sitting in the seat of the 5.1. The seat itself is better but just sits too high and as a consequence doesn't feel as planted round bends. I am looking into seeing what more can be done though I already don't use the standard factory setup.

Is it the brake pedal by any chance? I love the comfort of my T6’s captain chair, but I feel like the brake pedal is too high, aches my foot when I’m driving around the city using it often.
Thank god I found this

I thought it was just me
Has anyone found a solution yet?

Having upgraded from a T5 3 weeks ago I'm struggling to get comfortable in my T6, In fact its unbearable after 20mins driving. I'm suffering from pain in the back of my right thigh, something I never felt in the T5 so much so I spent the day on the road in my old T5 yesterdayo_O

I've adjusted the seat every which way even getting a bit geeky and counting the number of clicks back and up on the T5 and adjusting the T6 to suit. It feels as if the pedals are higher in the T6 with my heel on the floor my toe is just touching the bottom edge of the throttle and I have to lift my foot onto the brake.

Im 6'2 and size 12 feet and the difference between vans is T5 manual & T6 Dsg
Has anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts on what I could try to alleviate the problem?

Its that bad I may have to consider chopping it in for something else or maybe trying a manual:(

I know this post is old but did VWJAY get to the bottom of it ? I have a 2017 caravelle and I am suffering the same problem ? Right thigh pain and knee cap pain ???
Thanks

I am 6’2” with a Caravelle front seat. I have started to develop really painful aches in the higher back/ lower neck and was wondering if anyone else has had issues with seat comfort.
I am not aware of any out of van injury.
Thanks all.

I'm 6'7" and 22 stone and find the caravelle seats extremely comfortable. I've suffered with back pain from an old rugby injury and can't sit in a car for more than a couple of hours without it flaring up again.

I haven’t got the Caravelle seats, mine are the standard swivel and armrest with no height adjustment type, and I find them the most uncomfortable seats since a Cavalier in the 90s. They were as bad in my T5 and I replaced them with S8 Recaros, which were very comfortable but I missed the armrests. Seat cushion too short, needs angling back, backrest too narrow at shoulder height, head restraints positioned so your neck’s already broken when you hit it, the list goes on. It’s one of the areas most obvious where they thought, sod it this where we can save a bit of money, it’s only a commercial. I’ve been in a base model Polo and the seats were actually better!

I haven’t got the Caravelle seats, mine are the standard swivel and armrest with no height adjustment type, and I find them the most uncomfortable seats since a Cavalier in the 90s. They were as bad in my T5 and I replaced them with S8 Recaros, which were very comfortable but I missed the armrests. Seat cushion too short, needs angling back, backrest too narrow at shoulder height, head restraints positioned so your neck’s already broken when you hit it, the list goes on. It’s one of the areas most obvious where they thought, sod it this where we can save a bit of money, it’s only a commercial. I’ve been in a base model Polo and the seats were actually better!
Just been looking at the Recaro website, and it looks like some of their seats can be fitted with arm rests....I suppose it ain’t cool if you have arm rests in certain carsand I suppose like in my Audi the central console does the job.

I’m 6’3” and I have a Caravelle, no problem with seat. Just done over a thousand miles in France, very comfortable.

Does anyone else find the T6 seats uncomfortable, not when driving any distance, but on climbing out finding aches etc.?
How easy is it to fit other seats from, eg SAAB/ Audi etc?

I find them okay on short trips, but on a recent trip from Bristol to Windermere I had a backache on arrival.
Same the next day when I went from Windermere to Inverness.
Couldn’t fault the seats in my previous Tiguan R-Line, they were extremely comfortable whatever the distance, in fact, I don’t recall ever having backache from the seats in any previous cars (and I’m 58 so there have been a few)

No issues whatsoever. We drove 550 miles in one day last year, and were both fine.
There are so many variables at play here that what one person finds uncomfortable, another will struggle with.

Pete

Yes I find them as uncomfortable as the T5. The problem with replacements is the armrests, I replaced my T5 seats with A8 Recaros but got shot in the end as I couldn't do without the armrests. I find the backrest ok, though a bit better lumbar support wouldn't go amiss, its the the squab you actually sit on that is terrible, just not enough thigh support and too short. There are some aftermarket conversions I've seen on here, but they only replace the backs with bigger bolstered ones so they don't address the problem and are for pose value really. Only Mercedes and Jaguar produce properly comfortable seats these days and if I could get those adapted with armrests I'd jump at them. Even BMW sports seats which used to be the ultimate for comfort and adjustability in the E46/39 days have lost their mojo and are now as wooden as Audi seats.

Only Mercedes and Jaguar produce properly comfortable seats these days and if I could get those adapted with armrests I'd jump at them. Even BMW sports seats which used to be the ultimate for comfort and adjustability in the E46/39 days have lost their mojo and are now as wooden as Audi seats.
You forget to type IMHO but anyway that's a point of view I suppose. I've got an Audi and the seats are brilliant over any distance. The two cars that I had before that were a Honda Accord Coupe (with memory seats) and a Toyota Avensis and they were pretty good as well - it's just a case of getting all the adjustments right. I don't have many problems with my standard issue T6 seats either - the range of adjustments are a bit limited but it helps that the drivers seat can go back and recline more further witht the bulkhead removed (it's a camper) and that the double passenger seat is modded with an extra recline bracket and a rest for the right arm. Oh yes and I've got a history of back issues since being in a crash a long time ago. Just goes to show that we're all different.

Last edited:
No issues whatsoever. We drove 550 miles in one day last year, and were both fine.
There are so many variables at play here that what one person finds uncomfortable, another will struggle with.

Pete

I should probably add that I've never had any problems with any car seats, and I've driven quite a few different ones !

Pete

You forget to type IMHO but anyway that's a point of view I suppose. I've got an Audi and the seats are brilliant over any distance. The two cars that I had before that were a Honda Accord Coupe (with memory seats) and a Toyota Avensis and they were pretty good as well - it's just a case of getting all the adjustments right. I don't have many problems with my standard issue T6 seats either - the range of adjustments are a bit limited but it helps that the drivers seat can go back and recline more further witht the bulkhead removed (it's a camper) and that the double passenger seat is modded with an extra recline bracket and a rest for the right arm. Oh yes and I've got a history of back issues since being in a crash a long time ago. Just goes to show that we're all different.
Everything on here is someone's opinion, mine was just based on my experience driving many, many different cars and comparing them and was in answer to the OP's query as to whether anyone else was having the same problem. Audi can make comfortable seats, the A8 seats I had were great, and the S5 ones I had were ok over moderate distences, they've just never been up with the best on the whole. But yes, everyone is different and has different needs, I just wish the seats in my T6 suited me as well as they suit you :thumbsup:

I can drive hours no issue, until I climb out...it is odd....my Fiesta seats are great, better than the T6 and my Audi A5

I don’t think it’s possible to decide if a seat is comfortable or not. The stature, posture and general condition of the person sitting in it surely has more influence over comfort.
I use my seat in the fully raised position with the back rest fairly upright. IMO the arm rests make the biggest different to my comfort over long distances.

Does anybody else get back ache on long (3+ hours driving) journeys? The vans done 56k miles. I’m assuming that the seat cushion is worn but didn’t get the van new so can’t say if it used to be ok. Has anybody had similar problems and if so replaced the cushion foam?

I drove for 8 hours with two 5 minute piss stops yesterday. I find the Captains chair very comfortable, I have it at max height, fairly upright back and make use of the arm rests. I’m average height and not overweight.
It’s a very subjective matter as most of us carry varying degrees of accumulated back injury and we’re all different shapes and sizes. I find having the seat height high much more comfortable than a lower, laid back relaxed position.

Last edited:
Back