RIB 60 3P Neptune rock and roll seat/bed- side/forward slider - Review.

Leadfold

If you want, as I did, a rear kitchen set up in your VW T6, single rock and roll beds are pretty much the only option. I went for the RIB Nepture seats as although startlingly expensive they are crash tested.

The positives are that they are incredibly solid and properly mounted (which is a big task), they look like they would function well in an accident. (Hopefully, I will never find out).

Depressingly, given how much I spent on them there I have found very little else to recommend them. So I strongly recommend you try them out before buying. Issues I have found are:

As a seat. The seat pad is too high, so even at 6' tall I can't comfortably rest my feet on the floor. the seat base and back have no bolstering, so you feel very perched on top of the seat and on twisting roads you move around a great deal. The backrest has a very steep pitch, similar to the standard VW T6 front passenger double bench seat. So if you find the VW seat too upright you will find the RIB the same. My seats have an integrated head restraint (as I think they all do). If you push this up so it provides the protection it should, the space it leaves in the seat where your back rests is really noticeable and uncomfortable. As a consequence I always travel with the headrest down, rendering it useless.

As a bed the RIB Neptune gives a very flat surface to sleep on. However, it is incredibly firm, so as with the seat it leaves you feeling perched on top. We are still experimenting with mattress toppers to see if we can improve things.

And finally, if no one is sitting on them when you are on the move, they rattle. I have tried to keep this objective, but I'm so frustrated with the build quality and design. It is hard to believe that anyone involved in their design and build could ever have travelled or slept on one.

These seem to be used in most of the rear-kitchen conversions, there really isn't a lot of options unless the convertor makes them themselves (as Leisuredrive do).

Thanks for the review, I always wondered what they were like!

Incidentally, are they any good as a sofa? That's one of the great things about our van, we leave the driver side rear seat down flat, and the supplied long cushion goes at the back, it is pretty comfy.

To frank they are not much good in any sense. We needed rear passenger seats as we plan for our van to be our only vehicle. If we get to a point where we only need two front seats I will probably take these out and make my own not travelling rear seats/beds. Alternatively, I may try and find someone who can remake the seat and backrest squabs. All pretty disappointing for £7k worth of seats.

Reactions: CAB
Back