Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
First a bit of background. I have toyed with the idea of swapping my car for a van for a number of years. Firstly as a way of transporting my track bike and gear in stead of a car/trailer. Also giving me the option of sleeping overnight at the track. The swapping of the trackbike to a trail bike didn't put this idea to bed. (Motorway miles on a dirt bike to get to places are not great).

Finally after a few months of searching I found and bought a van. Not my ideal choice but as it had all of the "must haves" and a lot of the wishes I drove 200 miles for a viewing. If I am honest I didn't take much care looking as I should as in my mind I had already bought the van, more about this later. Its a 65 plate Highline T30 180 DSG Panel Van in Starline Blue.

This is the van after the documents signed and I was getting ready for the journey home.

1_pickup_1.JPG

On the drive home when it went dark, I noticed the internal lights wouldn't switch off unless I turned all curtesy lights off with the cab roof switch.

3_arrived_home_lightsissue.JPG

First Saturday after purchase, I decided to take the shelving out.

6_back_view_shelving.JPG

I was hoping to take the shelving out as units to use in the garage. The left 1 almost came out in 1 piece, but the right was a but more difficult as I couldn't get a screwdriver onto the screws and it was fixed in with lots of silicone. Eventually it was removed in bits with the aid of a lump hammer.

7_shelving _emoved.JPG

Now there is plenty of room to put the dirt bike in. However browsing this forum started to get my plans to change. (to the detriment of my credit card). Ideas that crossed my mind were a conversion and sell and also conversion and keep. I'd couldn't even decide on full camper or day van with removable bits so I can empty easily to put the bike in. Decisions decisions.

Last edited:
Day after, it had rained hard overnight but was not ok, so decided to spend some more time in the van and strip the tailgate of the ply lining and OEM trim which had been damaged when the ply was screwed through it to the tailgate. I noticed some water in the tailgate.

9_noticed_water_tailgate.JPG

Decided to buy some trim removal tools after I broke the wiper motor cover trying to remove it! Araldite came to the rescue.

Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 12.43.15.png

Contacted the dealer I bought the van off. Because there are a few other issues he is going to send a mechanic from Cambridgeshire to Manchester to come and replace it along with the faulty light fitting. I have been really impressed with the dealer so far and when everything is sorted I will do a full review in the recommend section.

Started to attach Silent Coat to the tailgate. (excuse the poor pic).

10_silentcoat_tailgate.JPG

Last edited:
The weekend after. Decided to do a bit more tinkering. Found this (Arghhhh)

13_water_leak1.JPG

Back to the forum and do some reading. Found out I wasn't the only one to have a leaky roof rail. Removed the roof trim to investigate.

14_water_leak1.JPG

Sure enough signs of water.

16_water_leak1.JPG

So up onto the roof. Back 2 roof bar bolts removed and a bit of silicone sealant and bolts back in. (Whoever designed this mount wants sacking.)

18_bar_mounting1.JPG 19_roofbars.JPG

Kept my eye on this over the next few rainy days. Seems problem solved :)

Sunday washed the van for the first time. Takes a bit longer than a car :/

21_sideview_washed.JPG

Thanks Neilson,

Next step was to remove the wheel arch ply boxes and add a few bits of Silent Coat before it went dark.22_removing_archbox.JPG 24_silentcoating.JPG 25_silentcoating.JPG 26_inside_back.JPG

Its beginning to look bigger inside now.

Starting to come along.. That leak is a pain in the arse..

Whats next?

Thanks, lots of inspiration from other threads on here including yours.
Next was to carry on with Silent Coat, but when I went in the van there was a leak on the near side to match the one I fixed. So I took the cross members off the roof rails, unbolted the rear to bolts on the left rail. Then it started lashing down so it was a rush job to get them siliconed and bolted back up. But this side now seems dry as well.

As part of inspecting this leak I removed part of the original floor. The screws were difficult to get out as phillips x were full of dirt etc. However took it out and cleaned the floor.

27_floor_removal1.JPG 28_floor_removal2.JPG

A few days later final OEM trim panels were removed, along with the last bit of ply flooring. After a clean out all the screw holes were cleaned and then treated with Hammerite Kurust, then painted with Hammerite primer and finally filled with sealant.

31_final_trim removal.JPG
32_ply_floor_out.JPG
33_ply_floor_out.JPG
34_ply_floor_out.JPG

Last edited:
Next day I stared cutting the old ply floor I had removed into batons.

39_fitted_first_battons.JPG

Now I need to order more silent coat, the closed cell sound stuff and some insulation, the paneling kit. But everywhere is closed until the new year. So I guess I will have a few days off.

Edit: Still haven't worked out what this is in the corner at the bottom of the B pillar:

35_whats_this.JPG

Next day I stared cutting the old ply floor I had removed into batons.

View attachment 34320

Now I need to order more silent coat, the closed cell sound stuff and some insulation, the paneling kit. But everywhere is closed until the new year. So I guess I will have a few days off.

Edit: Still haven't worked out what this is in the corner at the bottom of the B pillar:

View attachment 34321
Chewing gum or ear wax :D

Pull it out.. I don't have anything there I dont think.. investigate, it maybe someone elses boo-boo (cable entry) and bunged it up.. if thats the case it may need anti rust etc.

Well, I pulled that brown blob off. No holes or anything underneath, so all is good.

Looks good. I don't post much but I'm doing the same thing. I stretched my budget to get a T6 and went for a simple Highline PV and started a similar conversion. I take trials bikes in mine and sleep in it when I go racing.
Ideally I want a Hi-Lo top to sleep in and have the bikes stored below, but it will be a while before that happens. Are you keeping the bulkhead in ?

Looks good. I don't post much but I'm doing the same thing. I stretched my budget to get a T6 and went for a simple Highline PV and started a similar conversion. I take trials bikes in mine and sleep in it when I go racing.
Ideally I want a Hi-Lo top to sleep in and have the bikes stored below, but it will be a while before that happens. Are you keeping the bulkhead in ?

I've thought about the bulkhead a lot. I think I will take it out, although I seem to be putting it off until I really have to.

Mine came with the bulkhead removed but the studs left in :( Part of me thinks the bulkhead would be good to reduce people seeing into the back and give me somewhere to hang spares, but the other side of me think a swivel front seat would be nice to.

Keep the photo's coming.

I know what you mean about the privacy, but I have glass in the tailgate anyway, and could always rig up a curtain.

Back