Adventure Van Build

johnboyy

This is a thread about a van that doesnt exist yet.

Well it exists, just I havent bough it yet.

This will be our second van, we converted a Nissan Primastar in 2021. We didnt know if we'd get much use of the van, or if we'd even finish it so we decided to just buy a cheap van to start with so bought a 300k km passenger van that had some work done to it with Renault Espace seats and the espace engine swapped in too. (turned out after it was an ex taxi and clocked 200k km just before I bought it)
1694441569227.png
1694441934304.png 1694441983050.png 1694442034412.png 1694442093959.png 1694442154995.png

We built it with the aim of sleeping two adults and two small kids, but also hoping to retain as much van capabilty as possible. It was a LWB twin slider and we ended up with a bed that folded down over two seats in the back and the kids slept crossways on a camping mat and self inflating mattresses on the floor. The kitchen was in a sliding cabinet that popped out when needed and there was a huge boot under the bed. (should have patented that idea before VW copied it for the T7 Multivan California)

So it was an experiment, what was the outcome? We did 40k km in 2.5 years and that was with having our two cars for daily driver duty, so yeah we used it.

We did day trips, camping trips, pulled trailers, carried building materials and tools to various projects at home or at both myself and my wife's home place's. Our camping trips tended to be a night or two in a single spot, we're not really "week at a campsite" people. This summer we drove to austria and back (from Ireland in case anyone hadnt figured that out). In that time some things changed and we learned much more about what we want from a van.

The kids are bigger and no longer fit across the floor so we're back to camper and popup tent (which is fine, suits everyone). Towing a trailer out of a wet field with a FWD van can be challenging, it will spin the tyres at the slightest hint of an evening dew. The size does at times limit parking options in small towns/villages. But on a whole we love the concept/layout and want to go again, but this time with a nicer base vehicle and some more traction.

I'm currently shopping for my perfect van. T5.1 or T6, 4Motion, 140hp, manual, twin sliders, air conditioning are the mandatory requirements. Ideally I'd like a SWB, not black, and plastic bumpers. Tailgate, T32 capacity and diff lock would be nice bonuses.

The Irish market is a relatively small pool to draw from so it could take me a while to find the perfect van. In the past I'd probably have jumped straight over the Irish Sea, but for reasons that's now a more expensive and complicated process so I'm not ready to go there yet.

So that's the background. What's the plan?

Two seats up front on swivels and a 2 seater Kombi bench in the back. This time the kitchen unit will be fixed, it will come about half ways into the door side door opening. Probably use a LHD Kombi bench as I like the kitchen behind the driver's door and a LHD bench will sit ever so slighly further to the left in the van than a RHD bench mounted on the left.

The kitchen unit will have a forward facing fridge with double hinged door Alpicool 12v Compressor Fridge - 50L | Transporter HQ EU

Above and to the rear of the fridge will be a stove and sink and there will be a table swinging up/out in the doorway. I have no desire to cook in such a small space so have traditionally done all our cooking outside the doorway.

The bed will be similar in concept to this german kit 2er Set DIY Bettwinkel Transporter- Caravelle VW T5 - T6.1 - Four-Teile DIY Schlafsitzbank Bett für VW T5 T6 selber bauen or the Amdro Kombi Bed VW transporter Kombi Bed Double - Amdro Alternative Campervans

The general vibe will be very much towards function over form, I want it to be clean and tidy, but there will be little or no carpet in the interior as it's just too easy to get dirty. The van will do duty as a DIY builder/hobby farmer vehicle too.

In Ireland there are requirements for self converted vans, which are a combination of legal and from the insurers. Insurance options are limited here for low roof campers. To qualify legally as a camper you must have cooking, sleeping and storage facilities within the vehicle. The cooking must work with the doors closed, otherwise I wouldnt install a stove at all.

The conversion must be signed off by a "Suitably Qualified Individual" which essentially means a registered motor assessor/engineer. They certify that it meets the requirements and is safe, with a particular interest in seats/belts.

The main insurance option is the Motorcaravan Club of Ireland and they have some more stipulations that you have to have two rings on your stove and that the gas install meets RGII regulations (main ones being proper gas locker with dropout, only hose is within the locker, all other lines are copper) They also insist that the conversion is signed off by their chosen assessor. I dealt with him on the last van and he's grand.

There are pros and cons to the system here. It limits some flexibility, as I say I have to put in two hob rings I wont want to use. I put alcohol burners in the last van and then whipped one out as soon as it was asessend and will likely do the same here. On the flip side as long as I fit them right I can theoretically put any seats wherever I want. Once they are fixed with suitable bolts and properly sized spreader plates the engineer will sign them off and then they are good for insurance purposes. we get very hung up on crash testing these days, but the reality is that mounting seats isnt rocket science, it's done all the time in various conversion industries and there are standards and regulations for doing it.

Anyway, I've rambled on for long enough. Right now I'm only posting as somewhere to gather my thoughts, I'll flesh out some more ideas as I go. I'm hoping something turns up here in the next few weeks, otherwise I'll probably hop on a plane and try to navigate the joy of customs clearance on an import.

Ok, First question.

I'm coming at most decisions here from a function over from point of view. As I mentioned above, our adventures can tend to be dirty. The boot of the last van was lined in carpet which was a disaster with tools or god forbid the chainsaws in there. I'm wondering about flooring options.

It needs to be tough, easily cleaned and ideally to provide some sound/heat insulation benefits too.

What about the factory floor mat option?

Obviously being a commercial vehicle part they're going to tick the durability and cleanabiluty boxes, they have some insulating properties too.

But how compressible are these? I'm thinking from the point of bolting in furniture. Would you have to cut the mat and bolt direct to the floor or could you fix through the mat and not have it squish down?

If you put a ply floor in then you can insulate under that and bolt furniture to it.

For the exposed area you could consider some hard wearing vinyl flooring, I think Karndean is popular.

You could then use any number of generic aftermarket solutions to put a bit of protection down when you had to use the van as a van.

Standard flooring approach is plywood with Altro vinyl on top. Very resilient, looks good. You can layer thermal or sound insulation under it as you like, and you get a solid plane to fix furniture to.

Nothing much to report here.

Nothing coming on the market here that I want. They're all either too old or too new. (Not many trades buying new vans here in the years after the crash, and definitely not fancy 4wd ones)

I'm giving it another two weeks and gonna hop on a plane and pay my taxes I'd say. So if anyone has a t5.1 or t6 4motion twin sliders manual that they're interested in selling for under 20k let me know.

In the meantime I've borrowed this stylish machine from my dad to abuse. Putting tools in the leather interior of my own golf was making me sad. The plus has a pretty huge boot with the seats slid forward

PXL_20230929_170923494.jpg

PXL_20230929_170137823.jpg

Ok, First question.

I'm coming at most decisions here from a function over from point of view. As I mentioned above, our adventures can tend to be dirty. The boot of the last van was lined in carpet which was a disaster with tools or god forbid the chainsaws in there. I'm wondering about flooring options.

It needs to be tough, easily cleaned and ideally to provide some sound/heat insulation benefits too.

What about the factory floor mat option?

Obviously being a commercial vehicle part they're going to tick the durability and cleanabiluty boxes, they have some insulating properties too.

But how compressible are these? I'm thinking from the point of bolting in furniture. Would you have to cut the mat and bolt direct to the floor or could you fix through the mat and not have it squish down?
hi there... a little late picking up on this but now following the thread with interest...your ask is very similar thinking to my own Faithfull Donkey which took a while to find but definately worth holding out for the spec you want. Funnily enough it's a T6 4Motion, twin sliders, manual, aircon and, as a super bonus, a proper diff lock that has already come in handy...check out https://www.youtube.com/@quickcuts2442/videos if interested.

Re floor it's been factory floor mat all the way. In my view, no need for extra insulation and its very durable and comfortable to walk on..and easy to keep clean. No brainer!
For the sort of limited cabinets I have, I've found that despite expecting to have to use shims between base and van floor to remove the 'squidge', the flat bottom, low weight and relying on existing mounting points actually meant a better fit without the shims. Probably not recommended for more substantial furniture and definitely for fitting the bed (which is fully shimmed throught the mat).

Hope you find your van soon and look forward to seeing it develop.

FD

Aside from Autotrader, Ebay, Gumtree and Pistonheads where else in the UK should a man be searching?

Search on faceache marketplace is a disaster and it seems to be mostly full of scams anyway.

Is there anywhere else a man should be looking, realistically I'm at the T5.1 to early T6 end of the market.

...No luck eh? On the brightside, at least you haven't just rushed out and bought the available van, rather the one you want (nearly made that mistake a couple of times myself...causing me to make a hard 'do not cross line' on the spec).
I actually limited my list and stuck to respectable looking dealers on Autotrader rather than navigating the pot-lucksville of private routes. Took nearly a year to come up with goods but basically bought exactly the van you are after (soz mate!)

...I did see a post here from someone asking a trader if they were expecting some 4motions in any time soon (do a search and see if you can track down)...or post a new ' Wanted ' thread if you haven't done so already.

Best of luck with search and I stand ready to follow your build whenever it happens.

FD

(more micro adventures coming soon BTW, watch this space!)

Well I've been looking for months now and found nothing that ticks my boxes for my budget.

Well I found one with massive miles, but it was so cheap I could have afforded to rebuild it nearly. It was 3 hours away from me and sold when I was 30 minutes down the road. Seller was holding it for me but his brother supposedly didn't know that and he sold it instead.

So I've decided to get out ahead of the curve and have a deal done on a 2019 transit custom. It's not 4wd but it ticks all my other boxes for a lot less money than a similar year/spec transporter would.

I don't know if there's any interest here on a transit build just yet but I'll throw up a few pics

I'm finally starting to do something with this. have had the van a few months now and absolutely love it. it's so refined and relaxing to drive compared to the Primastar.

I'm starting to plan the conversion and it essentially needs to be built around a few hard points. The seat, leisure battery, water tanks and fridge.

To rewind, I'm looking at doing a layout somewhat similar to the primastar.
1708080303420.png

Two seats and a kitchen unit beside it. I'm not planning on doing the fully movable kitchen unit thing this time. instead it will be forward of where it was in the primastar setup. I also want to locate the fridge in the lower compartment this time.

My question is does anyone have experience of a forward facing fridge? Thinking about a double hinged fridge like this Transporter HQ - Camper Fridge Freezer - Alpicool THQ50 - 50L - 12v/24v - With LG Compressor it can open at either side so you can open it from inside or outside and get good access.

But with a forward facing fridge, does everything in the fridge end up against the front door the first time you hit the brakes and fall out when you open it?

Reactions: CAB
Back