In terms of remaining fault codes, I still have the following:
Please change the coding in byte 29 (now 40) to 60. Clear the BCM faults and report what comes back.

I also used 'D0' in Byte 16 as recommended by a few posts in the thread too.
Coding: A0AC391A0A61341193284F347CEB8E70FF84730F60CD7D40330400230840
In the scan the byte 16 is "FF" o_O

Please change the coding in byte 29 (now 40) to 60. Clear the BCM faults and report what comes back.

In the scan the byte 16 is "FF" o_O

Hello @mmi - I've tweaked the coding as per your suggestion above..

Byte 16 should be 'D0' now too.

Fault codes for BCM have now cleared (Re-scan confirmed).

Here's the full scan report:

Attachments

• Scan-WV1ZZZ7HZKH043909-20220408-1934-26560km-16503mi.txt
    9.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
19 will clear when 55 is coded

Input default coding to module 55 then it will either clear itself afetr a week or tow of driving around or you can perform basic settings by parking on a flat level surface and running basic settings in the adaptions section, you will need to enter the security access code before doing so
Its worth noting that i have seen 'error 35' when doing this a few times (implying you havent entered the code) and ordinarily it still works

What's the Radio as module 56 but not reached/not registered? What happens if you remove it from Gateway (19) Installation List?

What's the Radio as module 56 but not reached/not registered? What happens if you remove it from Gateway (19) Installation List?
I’ve got a Pioneer stereo i.e non factory - I’ve tried removing this from the Installation list several times, but it keeps coming back.

It may be something to do with the fact my Pioneer still ‘talks’ to the MFSW/displays parking sensor ‘radar’ display etc?

19 will clear when 55 is coded

Input default coding to module 55 then it will either clear itself afetr a week or tow of driving around or you can perform basic settings by parking on a flat level surface and running basic settings in the adaptions section, you will need to enter the security access code before doing so
Its worth noting that i have seen 'error 35' when doing this a few times (implying you havent entered the code) and ordinarily it still works
Correct coding is applied, so will perform the basic setting and check back when I’ve driven the van for a week or so.

The gateways seem to require a radio to be installed, removing 5F automatically inserts 56 normally

• Wow
I’ve got a Pioneer stereo i.e non factory - I’ve tried removing this from the Installation list several times, but it keeps coming back.

It may be something to do with the fact my Pioneer still ‘talks’ to the MFSW/displays parking sensor ‘radar’ display etc?
Just to clarify - when 56 is removed from 19-Gateway Installation List - it creeps back into the Installation List by itself??
Or the 56 just remains in the Auto-Scan header section? Or also in the actual module scan section - starting with "Address 56:"

Just to clarify - when 56 is removed from 19-Gateway Installation List - it creeps back into the Installation List by itself??
Or the 56 just remains in the Auto-Scan header section? Or also in the actual module scan section - starting with "Address 56:"

Sorry - should have worded it better before - I meant to say when 5F (Radio) is removed from the Installation List - ‘56’ appears automatically as Pauly just mentioned.

Any ideas on the CAN fault that I have?

1 Fault Found:
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 26565 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2022.04.05
Time: 16:47:44

**EDIT***

It looks like the above fault could be related to removed modules - in my case the 5F (Radio).

See here: 01044 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Last edited:
DRLs seem really bright when the headlight selection dial is set in the '0' but they seem to dim slightly when you turn to Auto, Side Lights, Dipped beam etc. Is this normal behaviour?
When Auto was selected the headlights came on? Thus DRLs were acting as sidelights?

Per your coding the low beam is off when high beam is on?

When Auto was selected the headlights came on? Thus DRLs were acting as sidelights?

Per your coding the low beam is off when high beam is on?
The headlights did come on in Auto. So yes I guess they were acting as side lights?

I’m not sure about ‘low beam off when high beam on’ Is this incorrect? I can check this tomorrow.

Thanks again for your time

**EDIT**

The high/low beam setting above could be a hangover from the H4s I’ve upgraded from. For LED should this be unchecked/off in the coding?

Last edited:
The headlights did come on in Auto. So yes I guess they were acting as side lights?

I’m not sure about ‘low beam off when high beam on’ Is this incorrect? I can check this tomorrow.

Thanks again for your time

**EDIT**

The high/low beam setting above could be a hangover from the H4s I’ve upgraded from. For LED should this be unchecked/off in the coding?
Yes, the DRL/side light functionality seems to be normal.

The light pattern would be really weird having only high beam on as the beams are stacked on top of each others. Obviously the setting is a remnant from H4 settings.
The case was experimented here:
Low beam on with high beam (byte 22 bit 2" unticked")

Just referencing posts about codings earlier in this thread - almost 30 pages ago

Last edited:
The light pattern would be really weird having only high beam on as the beams are stacked on top of each others

Thanks @mmi. I’ve probably not noticed anything weird with beam patterns yet, as my van hasn’t been pointing towards a wall/surface whilst doing the install (it’s facing away from my house).

I’ll be sure to fix the setting in Byte 22.

Hi - quick update... I believe my lights are now fully working, I've unticked the setting in Byte 22 (Force low-beam off when high beam active) as highlighted by @mmi and all appears well, however the below faults have re-appeared:

00978 - Lamp for Low Beam; Left (M29)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101010
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 8
Reset counter: 208
Date: 2022.04.11
Time: 16:54:39

00979 - Lamp for Low Beam; Right (M31)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101010
Fault Frequency: 40
Reset counter: 208
Time: 16:54:39

01495 - Bulb for High-Beams; Left (M30)
010 - Open or Short to Plus
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101010
Reset counter: 168
Time: 16:55:08

01499 - Bulb for High-Beams; Right (M32)
010 - Open or Short to Plus
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101010
Reset counter: 168
Time: 16:55:08

When clearing the above in VCDS, they don't come back right away, which tallies with there intermittent status, but any ideas what this could be?

There's other users in this thread that have mentioned the same faults with their LED retrofits, but it's not clear in their subsequent posts what fixed/cleared them?

Could it be my settings in Byte 16?

Screenshot 2022-04-12 204420.png

I've read a few times on the forum that these settings are reversed, i.e. active actually means inactive, but still don't fully understand if this is just Bit 4 (Low Beam) or the whole group of settings?

The other Byte I'm not sure about is 19.

Screenshot 2022-04-12 202251.png

Should all these PWM settings be active?

My only other thought is that the faults could be related to the LED power modules? Again, I don't get any flickering with high or low beam, or any other indication of a physical fault?

As ever, I'm very grateful for any advice on this...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Its been so long since i did a set i cant remember all the coding details and even my hand scribbled notes dont seem to make much sense anymore

What i can see i have written down is
Byte 16 = C0
Byte 18 = 73
Byte 22 = 79
Then i have a question mark on byte 23 = 60

I had a similar fault to you and seen it a few times since and it has always been a coding issue (lamp monitoring not turned off) or a faulty power module
Power module is easy to check as i just swapped side to side to see if the fault followed but as you are seeing it both sides not an option for you :(

Its been so long since i did a set i cant remember all the coding details and even my hand scribbled notes dont seem to make much sense anymore

What i can see i have written down is
Byte 16 = C0
Byte 18 = 73
Byte 22 = 79
Then i have a question mark on byte 23 = 60

I had a similar fault to you and seen it a few times since and it has always been a coding issue (lamp monitoring not turned off) or a faulty power module
Power module is easy to check as i just swapped side to side to see if the fault followed but as you are seeing it both sides not an option for you :(

Cheers @Pauly - I’ll try the above as test…

Re: Byte 23 = 60 – this is something @mmi recommended I use a few posts back, as my original value (pre retrofit) was 40.

I’m not overly concerned about the faults as my lights seem to be working fine – but would obviously prefer it if they weren’t there…

Thanks again - will let you know how how I get on with the above.

Could it be my settings in Byte 16?
For a OEM LED headlights byte 16 has been either C0 (front/rear LEDs) or C2 front LED/rear bulb). However, there might be some variations because of fog lights (in the undocumented bits).

Thus for you unticking bit 4 would be first thing to try.

1649846590090.png

If not resolved please post the current BCM coding (as text).

Re: Byte 23 = 60 – this is something @mmi recommended I use a few posts back, as my original value (pre retrofit) was 40.
The difference between those is whether DRL is on or off when light switch is in position "Parking/side lights" - thus full or dimmed.

If not resolved please post the current BCM coding (as text).
Thanks @mmi - I’m away with work, so won’t be able to test until Friday, but will report back asap.

Cheers

Hi - I'm back earlier than expected so have managed to test the above @mmi. Here are my findings:

Unticking Bit 4 in Byte 16 gives me 'C0' for the overall Byte coding. Unfortunately, the faults still remain. They disappear momentarily - i.e. I can reset the fault codes, perform a re-scan and return no faults, but as soon as I turn the headlight dial to any position other than 'AUTO', they come back.

I've also tried 'C2' with the same results.

Interestingly, both 'C0' and 'C2' in Byte 16 trigger the bulb warning light on the dash, whereas 'D0' does not.

Another observation, is that sometimes I get just 2x fault codes for low beam, but most of time it's 4x faults (for high + low beam).

Not sure where to go from here? Should my Byte 18 definitely be '72'? Most retrofitters on this thread seem to go for '73'?

Please find my latest full scan attached:

Thanks

Attachments

• Scan-WV1ZZZ7HZKH043909-20220414-1748-26560km-16503mi.txt
    10.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Another observation, is that sometimes I get just 2x fault codes for low beam, but most of time it's 4x faults (for high + low beam).
Perhaps you could now try to revert byte 29 back to hex 40.

There are a few retrofits which use this (40) instead of the factory setting (60) which makes me think there might have been a wiring mismatch in the retrofit.
For the factory setup this definitely has to be 60 otherwise it will bring up a bulb failure (with faults) on dash (indeed not immediately but after a few minutes).

Should my Byte 18 definitely be '72'? Most retrofitters on this thread seem to go for '73'?
For LEDs headlights with bulbs at rear it's "72" from factory. However, certainly won't hurt to experiment.

Please find attached a comparison of your coding with two factory codings with LEDs -
(1) MY18 LEDs front and rear (tailgate), no fogs​
(2)MY19 LEDs only front (barn doors), no fogs​
Marked a few undocumented differences with yellow.​
The template "T6_09_BCM_Coding_Decoder" for the above is here >>> https://www.t6forum.com/threads/vcds-code-list.10189/post-234830
Worth noting that the "documented codings" are not always the exactly the truth, however comparison with factory codings should give reliable results.

Perhaps you could post also the adaptation map of your BCM (09) for comparisons - just in case...

VCDS > Applications > Controller channel map > Single Controller Address 09/ Adaptations/ CSV file
1650008873527.png
The result file adpmap-xxxxxxx....CSV will be in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs\....

Attachments

• ched.pdf
    554 KB · Views: 15
Back