T6 LWB T30 140 Acapulco blue - Build Thread

xpfloyd

T6 Legend
Hi all,

I recently picked up my first van and have started converting to a camper. Trying to do all the work myself apart from the pop top which a local SCA installer will be doing. Never done anything like this before so its a steep learning curve! Heres my progress so far -

How it looked when I collected -

32011393173_d1b4d68287_h.jpgVWT6.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

32444915040_d9f9e9043a_h.jpgVWT6-2.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

32825780975_365603b060_h.jpgVWT6-3.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

32702356991_ce11f5b2ae_h.jpgVWT6.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

Next up was the passenger side windows. These went a lot smoother than the barn doors had.

My dad lending a hand again -

32954953466_9ec8318f8f_h.jpgVWT6.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

32954957646_82628bcb3f_h.jpgVWT6-3.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

32151717794_ae14061e2f_h.jpgVWT6-4.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

Next mod was changing the alloys. These are BK Racing 170 8.5J 20" ET40 with 255/40 R20 101XL Tyres. The van needs lowered! but I have it booked in for Bilstein B14s at Vanstyle in May

32151717794_ae14061e2f_h.jpgVWT6-4.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

33063185831_93fa69df46_h.jpgVWT6-2.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

Excellent progress. What's next?

Thanks Davey. This weekend I am planning on installing the rear view camera in the barn door trim and running the cables back to the head unit following the existing loom on the roof. Time permitting I will start the sound proofing. My main delay at the moment is getting a date for my SCA roof. Caledonian campers are going to do it but 4 weeks has now passed and they havent taken a deposit and havent gave me a date yet. Its a pure nightmare. There is apparently a delay getting LWB roofs via Banwy so I am getting nowhere fast despite constantly pestering them. Hopefully get it booked in soon as its going to hold up all the follow on works

Good effort! Not sure I would have the bottle to attempt that
I won't lie, it was a bit scary putting a drill and a jigsaw to my newish van but I had done a tonne of reading of the build threads on the other forum so felt that I half knew what I was attempting to do. That's why I wanted to do a build thread myself in case anything I've done can help others later

I love a good build thread. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Was the stereo a straight plug n play? Am interested in how your rear view camera goes. They are the first jobs on my van so any details on that would be great.

I love a good build thread. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Was the stereo a straight plug n play? Am interested in how your rear view camera goes. They are the first jobs on my van so any details on that would be great.

Thanks Andrew. The reason I changed the stereo was because the reverse camera adaptor for the standard head unit was more expensive than a new stereo so it was a no brainer. I purchased a kit from Absolut5 audio (Hes on the other forum but I assume this one too?) which basically allowed me to connect the Kenwood into the VW loom. The kit came with a DAB and FM aerial adaptor too so that was also a straight forward fit. The only thing I lost was the dash USB connector but there are adaptors available for this and I may connect it up at one point. The kit from Absolut5 was £114 delivered and included the fascia for the stereo. I purchased a cheap rear view camera from ebay (£10 I think) and I have connected it up to trial it and it seems fine. I was planning on powering it from the reverse light feed so that it only powers up when reverse is selected, however if I can find an ignition live behind the light cluster I will use that instead as the Kenwood allows you to flick to the camera at the touch of a button when not reversing. I cant think when I would need that but figured if I can wire it so that its an option I may as well.

Give me a shout if you need to know anything more specific about it, cheers

Brilliant. Thanks XPfloyd. That's much cheaper then I thought it would be. I'll get onto Absolut5 for some bits.

Please keep this thread going. I'm going to do a bit of DIY myself and learn lots from threads like these.

Thanks, Andrew.

No worries mate, I forgot to mention I initially thought the dab adaptor they sent didn't fit but after a bit of faffing about and emails going back and forward I realised it was me being a numpty! I somehow managed to remove the radio side of the connector along with the cable which meant I couldn't connect the adaptor. Once I realised though it was an easy fix and I got it reconnected to the stereo and got the dab working too. Like I say I'm learning as I go :)

Small update on my progress. Last week or so has mainly been me ordering things like the furniture and the RIB and also setting a date for my pop top etc. I have also got a healthy pile of boxes taking over my kitchen!. I did however manage to get some stuff done in the van.

Removed the existing seats and bench (now for sale if anyone is interested)

32740429933_d1544abf8e_h.jpgVWT6.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

32740434173_f51615277a_h.jpgVWT6-2.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

That then allowed me to remove the bulkhead brackets with a drill and a grinder. At this point with both seats out I thought I may as well remove the cab mat and sound proof the floor before I run the electrics so thats the next job. Van currently looks like this -

32740441643_a95be48eb6_h.jpgVWT6-4.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

This weekend I sound proofed the cab floor, ran the electrics through the bulkhead, installed the battery and chatger below the drivers seat and installed my new captains seats

240v hookup under bonnet -

33507082322_fa0f6e95c2_h.jpgVWT6.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

Silent coat to cab floor

32820737104_db21a0a21d_h.jpgVWT6-2.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

Liesure battery and battery to battery charger under drivers seat -

32820740414_c3ef2cfafc_h.jpgVWT6-3.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

New captains seats installed -

32820743444_f1d3f6797a_h.jpgVWT6-4.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

Back