T6.1 DSG - Sports Mode?

Totally agree with and understand what you're saying. The point I'm making, and not saying anything is wrong technically with the DSG is the overall driving experience with this box compared with the others I have owned isn't as good. On the same hills that I drive daily none of the other boxes make the gear choices the DSG does. The driving experience for me is just not as good.
I take on board what Loz says but does being lighter, smaller and no slip really add to a better driving experience?? Not for me.

Isn't the Audi S-Tronic gearbox, that are listed 5 times in the above post, the same as the DSG box?

Also Im pretty sure that Porsche tried to but VAG just to get their hands on the DSG box. I cant be so bad.
Thats what I would have thought....a million miles away though. If I had to take the best and worse its Q7 and T6 but then the vehicles are poles apart too. Ones a luxury SUV and the other is a goods carrier.

Totally agree with and understand what you're saying. The point I'm making, and not saying anything is wrong technically with the DSG is the overall driving experience with this box compared with the others I have owned isn't as good. On the same hills that I drive daily none of the other boxes make the gear choices the DSG does. The driving experience for me is just not as good.
I take on board what Loz says but does being lighter, smaller and no slip really add to a better driving experience?? Not for me.
Its the same twin clutch auto as the Audi S-Tronic, just different names for different brands. which you list 5 times in your post.

Most of the Auto boxes you quote are traditional clutch pack auto boxes and much more subline. The DSG is an automatically selected manual box, so not really comparing like for like.
The main issue is the software that VW has used to try and achieve fuel saving at the cost of drivability.
Since having our DSG upgraded with the TVS driveability upgrade I haven't needed sports mode anymore.
Where does one get this TVS wizardry carried out??

Any affect to warranty, fuel economy etc?

I'm pretty sure the Q7 has an 8 speed torque converter auto box, as does the Touareg, Amarok etc.

Comparing the gearboxes in a Q7 to the T6 is not like for like.

Also as it has two clutches (one for 1st, 3rd, 5th & 7th, and the other for 2nd, 4th & 6th), the next gear is pre-selected so gear changes are smoother and faster.
Yes, I know how it works. (I guess you were just saying, not necessarily telling me?)

I'm pretty sure the Q7 has an 8 speed torque converter auto box, as does the Touareg, Amarok etc.

Yes, they(Touareg & Q7) use the ASIN 8speed conventional box with a locking torque converter.

Where does one get this TVS wizardry carried out??

Any affect to warranty, fuel economy etc?
negligible effect on fuel as far as I'm concerned. Warranty, well technically yes, but unlikely to be picked up, and I would argue it would perform better with the TVS anyway.

@BognorMotors can perform the DSG upgrade for you, see attached,

Attachments

• Brochure_DQ500.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
Thanks for all the input, advice and tech stuff. It’s much appreciated! I will indeed try and adapt to driving with this gearbox.
I’ve been in touch with VW commercials about it and they have looked at the van. Waiting for them to get back to me to see if there’s any software adjustment or programming needed. This forum is fascinating. Also read about how there’s no left foot rest on the current T6.1 auto whereas the T6 had one. It does feel odd as your left leg has no real place to go for space and comfort, I found this as well. Other owners have noticed these changes which do not make for a better van. Shame! I’m certainly learning a lot about the T6.1 as time goes by. I do love driving it though despite it’s differences and hope to keep it for many years to come.

Amarok 8 speed box is sublime, my girlfriends Tiguan 150 auto isn’t that impressive so I’m crossing fingers for 199 g/box

Thanks for all the input, advice and tech stuff. It’s much appreciated! I will indeed try and adapt to driving with this gearbox.
I’ve been in touch with VW commercials about it and they have looked at the van. Waiting for them to get back to me to see if there’s any software adjustment or programming needed. This forum is fascinating. Also read about how there’s no left foot rest on the current T6.1 auto whereas the T6 had one. It does feel odd as your left leg has no real place to go for space and comfort, I found this as well. Other owners have noticed these changes which do not make for a better van. Shame! I’m certainly learning a lot about the T6.1 as time goes by. I do love driving it though despite it’s differences and hope to keep it for many years to come.

I've only driven mine for a couple of hours, but that’s the 1st thing I missed in an instant, felt really uncomfortable. Not sure I’ll get used to no left foot rest especially on long journeys

I've only driven mine for a couple of hours, but that’s the 1st thing I missed in an instant, felt really uncomfortable. Not sure I’ll get used to no left foot rest especially on long journeys
I noticed it at first, but after only 350 miles in mine now I dont actually notice it.

Amarok 8 speed box is sublime, my girlfriends Tiguan 150 auto isn’t that impressive so I’m crossing fingers for 199 g/box
I had the Amarok and thought the same. I've got the 199, Different system and quite laggy off the mark to be honest.

If it wasn't for fear of the warranty issues I'd be getting the firmware revised from a 3rd party.

Maybe we could all get together and bombard VW with complaints and they could look at the issues.

It's fine once off the mark but I've been in a few hairy moments pulling out junctions and roundabouts. Now I wait until absolutely clear before pulling out as the 3 second delay is bad.

Last edited:
I had an Amarok before the T6 and have to say it had the better gearbox.

Including the T6, I've had 4 DSG vehicles and can't say I've noticed any of them to be laggy off the mark. As the T6 doesn't have Auto Hold, I tend to ease off the brakes a smidge and let it creep ever so slowly. When there is a gap to dive into, as it's already moving, it shoots off instantly. I must have subconsciously learned to do that, so despite others saying earlier that they shouldn't have to adapt their driving style, just like any other machine, they all slightly differ, so we do need to adjust to get the best out of them.

I’m in my 6.1. Been wondering how to get it in sports mode all week as I find the box little bit dim witted without it (turbo lag etc). Just reading this forum I realised that when it’s in Drive you pull it down once and it goes into sports mode (pushing it right goes into manual).
Currently in a car wash queue for its first clean, will report back after to see if it improves things.

View attachment 92496

View attachment 92497
Get yourself a Revo stage one remap. Transforms the gear box and driving experience.

I had the Amarok and thought the same. I've got the 199, Different system and quite laggy off the mark to be honest.

If it wasn't for fear of the warranty issues I'd be getting the firmware revised from a 3rd party.

Maybe we could all get together and bombard VW with complaints and they could look at the issues.

It's fine once off the mark but I've been in a few hairy moments pulling out junctions and roundabouts. Now I wait until absolutely clear before pulling out as the 3 second delay is bad.

Girlfriends 150 Tiguan is flat when trying to negotiate junction starts, a bit hairy to be honest. I to like the idea of the TVS upgrade but worried about getting shafted by any potential warranty works on my new 199

Get yourself a Revo stage one remap. Transforms the gear box and driving experience.

Not strictly true, the gearbox software isn’t changed with a Revo map, but it will have more torque to play with.

The Revo engine map combined with a TVS dsg map is the best solution. No hesitation at all with my 4-Motion, launches really nicely off the line and then keeps pushing you back in your seat (for a van).

So..as a general consensus of opinion and aimed to folks who have driven a T6DSG and ANY other type of auto...forgetting not being like for like by brand or technically (as anything where I'm not moving a gear stick is an auto in my opinion)
What are the opinions in a nutshell? DSG better or worse driving experience compared to other autos you've driven??
If I knew how to set up a vote I would !

Back