Bigger AdBlue Tank in a newer van?

Mickleen

Hi, Im new to this forum, and the subject im raising may well have been covered previously .Apologise if it has . However i have looked through some threads and not found an answer to my query .
I've just purchased a 1 year old 22 plate VW T6.1 . On the display it states the Adblue range is 19,500 miles , having been filled prior to delivery by the dealership. My previous 2019 VW T6.1 california model, had a 13 litre tank and when full had a range of about 6000 miles. It seemed with the new vehicle that the range was too high. I've driven it home (about 220. miles , and it hadn’t been driven for a few weeks prior to this ) .
Is it possible that being a newer vehicle , it has both a bigger tank and uses less adblue than my previous van , which could explain the very high mileage range ?

I have a MY21 T6.1 Caravelle with the larger range. Don't think I've seen it estimated as high as 20,000 but it's much higher than the earlier T6.1 so not a fault.

This was my top up 2 weeks ago. It's probably not full as just put 10 litres in when that was about the middle of the advised top up amount. I'm using roughly a litre per 1000 miles.

20230922_151911.JPG

Folks seem to run into issues either trying the "fill to the top" or running a long time with it partially full - both seem to cause issues with the level sensor. Filling floods it, the other state can cause crystals, both can fool the system into thinking the tank is empty.

So my plan is to wait till the advised fill is comfortably in the 10litre range and then pick up the best value AdBlue. I don't want to be paying motorway prices because it's flicked into the "less than a tank of fuel to go" state. So far so good...

Just noticed today after adding 10L, the onboard computer was suggesting an additional Topup of 7.5LT. Is the tank 17.5LT? (T6.1 2021).

The 6.1 is larger than a 6, I get about 17-18,000 range when topping up.

I think newer 6.1 have an even larger tank as I've seen folks on the California forum noting ranges of over 32,000 - which seems a bit nuts:

Back