T6.1 DSG - Sports Mode?

I have got my first new Transporter, a T6.1 150 bhp with DSG. I have found that going down hill and slowing down with the gearbox in drive, when the engine downshifts to D3 the engine braking is quite loud and severe compared to the other gears. Is this the normal on this type of engine (150 bhp) mated with the DSG?

I have got my first new Transporter, a T6.1 150 bhp with DSG. I have found that going down hill and slowing down with the gearbox in drive, when the engine downshifts to D3 the engine braking is quite loud and severe compared to the other gears. Is this the normal on this type of engine (150 bhp) mated with the DSG?
I don't get much engine braking at all to be honest going down hill. How steep is the hill?

I don't get much engine braking at all to be honest going down hill. How steep is the hill?

Are you in coasting mode? That knocks it out of cog when you come off the throttle and drops the revs to idle, therefore one engine braking. Drive is re-engaged when you brake or get back on the throttle.

Are you in coasting mode? That knocks it out of cog when you come off the throttle and drops the revs to idle, therefore one engine braking. Drive is re-engaged when you brake or get back on the throttle.
I don't have coast mode at all. Another thing the 6.1 appears to have dropped. I may be mistaken but it's not in my options and it's always in gear.

Was something I was looking for before to activate but there's no option.

Thanks for replying back. What is “coasting” mode? The downhills are not very steep, they’re just in city roads. If it were in the countryside hills I imagine it would be even stronger.
I told the dealership about this and they told me about either switching on/off the ACC settings and trying this to see if it cures the problem. I’ve tried this too but still the same!? If you can imagine going down a longish hill and you want to slow down to below 40mph because of a speed camera, the gearbox would downshift from D5- D4 then D3 that’s when the engine sound becomes louder and engine braking is quite noticeable, if that makes sense! I thought that the 150 version with DSG would be a perfect match as reviews have tended to be good and also is tried and tested over the years on the T6. I have owned several automatic cars over many years but it doesn’t happen in the car. I always wanted a Transporter and really wanted to get an automatic one. Thought that the T6.1 150bhp DSG ticked all the boxes that I wanted on the purchase but still not understanding if there’s something I don’t know about these vans.
Appreciate advice at this point.
I’m also a new member in the forum and also a new owner of a new van.
Thanks for your help.

No coast mode on the T6.1
I found it really useful in the T6.
I find the DSG box is not the best at working out the gear needs. I've had 2 Touaregs and 2 Transporters and all of them have made strange gear choices especially when going down hills of any gradient.
I've driven autos for the last 20 years in about 12 different cars and 4x4s and the DSG is by far the worse.
Great 90% of the time and actually better overall when towing heavy loads.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Cali T6.1 150 bhp with DSG does exactly the same thing, it does appear to be on a pretty high gradient hill and it will change up if you accelerate. It does seem bizarre though.

The gearbox doesn't know if you are going up or downhill. It chooses the gear based on throttle/brake positions and engine load. The driver is the only variable in the equation and the one with eyes, so that needs to adapt to learn how to get the best out of the gearbox.

The Landrover Discovery, Range Rover Sport, Audi Q7, Q5 and Q3, Audi A5, Mini Cooper S, Mini Countryman Cooper S, Transit Custom to name a few didnt rely on me or any driver needing to learn to drive again......in my opinion all have got far superior auto gearboxes. The only auto i have owned that was worse is a Ford Ranger....I know nothing at all about the technicalities of any gearbox but do (or used to before Zoom) drive 80k miles a year. I just see the DSG the best of a bad bunch but saying that the whole Transporter is more me than any of the others listed.

The Landrover Discovery, Range Rover Sport, Audi Q7, Q5 and Q3, Audi A5, Mini Cooper S, Mini Countryman Cooper S, Transit Custom to name a few didnt rely on me or any driver needing to learn to drive again......in my opinion all have got far superior auto gearboxes. The only auto i have owned that was worse is a Ford Ranger....I know nothing at all about the technicalities of any gearbox but do (or used to before Zoom) drive 80k miles a year. I just see the DSG the best of a bad bunch but saying that the whole Transporter is more me than any of the others listed.
Most of the Auto boxes you quote are traditional clutch pack auto boxes and much more subline. The DSG is an automatically selected manual box, so not really comparing like for like.
The main issue is the software that VW has used to try and achieve fuel saving at the cost of drivability.
Since having our DSG upgraded with the TVS driveability upgrade I haven't needed sports mode anymore.

Ahh ok, not sure of the technical differences but what's the persived advantage of a DSG over let's say a Transit custom auto box?
I cant seem to find one apart from perhaps towing. My DSG seems to react better with a heavy load.

Ahh ok, not sure of the technical differences but what's the persived advantage of a DSG over let's say a Transit custom auto box?
I cant seem to find one apart from perhaps towing. My DSG seems to react better with a heavy load.
I don't know what box the transit has.
But the main differences between trad auto and DSG is;
Less slip (no torque converter), smaller, lighter.

It seems that the only gripe that you have is the way it holds onto a lower gear after you have slowed it with the brakes to go downhill, then changes up when you apply light throttle.

If you think about what information it's getting... you brake firmly and consistently to slow as you start to go downhill, then once slowed to your chosen speed, you come off the brake. As far as the gearbox is aware, you could be slowing and rolling up to a junction. It will select a lower gear in anticipation for a complete stop. When you press the throttle, it thinks the slowing has finished and you want to accelerate smoothly away, hence changing up to a less stressful gear. The fact that it has selected a lower gear has the by product of creating engine braking, something that your previous vehicles with torque convertor gearboxes wouldn't do, replying on you spending more time on the brake pedal to maintain your speed downhills.

The DSG is not wrong or worse, it's just different to what you are used to, so like we all did, you do need to adapt to it.

I don't know what box the transit has.
But the main differences between trad auto and DSG is;
Less slip (no torque converter), smaller, lighter.

Also as it has two clutches (one for 1st, 3rd, 5th & 7th, and the other for 2nd, 4th & 6th), the next gear is pre-selected so gear changes are smoother and faster.

Isn't the Audi S-Tronic gearbox, that are listed 5 times in the above post, the same as the DSG box?

Also Im pretty sure that Porsche tried to buy VAG just to get their hands on the DSG box. I cant be so bad.

Back