Bring back DSG S mode in 2023 - T6.1?

It's also more annoying aggressive in downshifting and prevents stop/start. All in all, not very useful. When I did not yet have my DSG mapped I used it in smaller hilly/curvy roads where D would struggle trying to climb hills at 1200rpm :rolleyes:
Similarly, I use it on twisty/hilly roads where I want to keep the revs a bit higher and avoid the coasting function (which I do use on more open roads)

and avoid the coasting function
Yes, forgot about that!

It's also more annoying aggressive in downshifting and prevents stop/start. All in all, not very useful. When I did not yet have my DSG mapped I used it in smaller hilly/curvy roads where D would struggle trying to climb hills at 1200rpm :rolleyes:

Wikipedia has an interesting nugget about S mode:

"This mode may not be ideal to use when wanting to drive in a sedate manner; nor when road conditions are very slippery, due to ice, snow or torrential rain – because loss of tire traction may be experienced (wheel spin during acceleration, and may also result in road wheel locking during downshifts at high engine rpms under closed throttle). On 4motion or quattro-equipped vehicles this may be partially offset by the drivetrain maintaining full-time engagement of the rear differential in S mode, so power distribution under loss of front-wheel traction may be marginally improved."

I didn't quickly find other references to S locking the Haldex or if this holds true in T6, definitely something to test one of these days! :geek:

"This mode may not be ideal to use when wanting to drive in a sedate manner; nor when road conditions are very slippery, due to ice, snow or torrential rain – because loss of tire traction may be experienced (wheel spin during acceleration, and may also result in road wheel locking during downshifts at high engine rpms under closed throttle). On 4motion or quattro-equipped vehicles this may be partially offset by the drivetrain maintaining full-time engagement of the rear differential in S mode, so power distribution under loss of front-wheel traction may be marginally improved."

I didn't quickly find other references to S locking the Haldex or if this holds true in T6, definitely something to test one of these days! :geek:

Rplot01.jpeg

Unfortunately S-mode doesn't seem to have any effect on AWD in T6.

Here's a 13 minute drive out of which I drove first half with D (DSG Selector value 5) and the latter half with S (DSG Selector value 12). There's no real difference to Haldex clutch engaging. If anything the clutch was more locked in the first half but that is explained by little bit different road conditions, also apparent in the RPM graph.

Back