Skyline Aurora Pop-Top opening on motorway?

Well, my van had a near miss yesterday.

Wife put our Skyline roof down while I was at work. Took the van on the motorway.

And the f***ing top lifted!

I’m still fuming about it.

She missed the catches on BOTH sides. The roof was not secured down at all.

Very lucky that she had only got up to about 20mph before she heard the struts and saw it lifting. She pulled over immediately.

I look at the van this morning, and the top is STILL not secured correctly. Now she’s only got one side locked!

Conclusion? If you’re a bit daft or a bit careless, you may miss the catches. And if you’re not paying attention, you might not notice that your roof isn’t pulled securely down. To me, it feels absolutely ridiculous that someone could get this wrong… but my wife did. Yesterday.

FB2EC5D0-2159-4112-A878-326633E4659E.jpeg

4A58BD0E-4646-404F-BBFB-C5F942F25CFD.jpeg

8759AE4C-8E48-49B0-A4AA-6BB0C9A68543.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Well, my van had a near miss yesterday.

Wife put our Skyline roof down while I was at work. Took the van on the motorway.

And the f***ing top lifted!

I’m still fuming about it.

She missed the catches on BOTH sides. The roof was not secured down at all.

Very lucky that she had only got up to about 20mph before she heard the struts and saw it lifting. She pulled over immediately.

I look at the van this morning, and the top is STILL not secured correctly. Now she’s only got one side locked!

Conclusion? If you’re a bit daft or a bit careless, you may miss the catches. And if you’re not paying attention, you might not notice that your roof isn’t pulled securely down. To me, it feels absolutely ridiculous that someone could get this wrong… but my wife did. Yesterday.

View attachment 149338

View attachment 149339

View attachment 149340

Ouch, sorry to hear this. Your wife must be feeling bad about this as well.

Top tip for the future:

When I picked up my van after the Aurora was fitted, at handover they taught me to have one hand out the window holding onto the roof as you turn the key with the other hand. That way you can feel it being pulled down securely.

Interesting that your camlock is a different design to mine, one of the first off the production line.
camlockearly.jpg camlocklater.jpeg

The Ford Model T had door latches that held the door closed when you shut it. I’m surprised that we still have something even more primitive holding the roof door down, be that straps or these bathroom door turnbuckles.

As individual users we have accepted a system that we need to be trained to use, has a special tool to operate, is easy to operate incorrectly, has no obvious indication that it is not in a safe condition, and fails to danger.

The roof should close in just the same way as a tailgate, and have a dashboard indication if it is not closed. Then you have a system that requires no training or tool, operates safely just by pulling down, and is obvious if it is not latched.

The Ford Model T had door latches that held the door closed when you shut it. I’m surprised that we still have something even more primitive holding the roof door down, be that straps or these bathroom door turnbuckles.

As individual users we have accepted a system that we need to be trained to use, has a special tool to operate, is easy to operate incorrectly, has no obvious indication that it is not in a safe condition, and fails to danger.

The roof should close in just the same way as a tailgate, and have a dashboard indication if it is not closed. Then you have a system that requires no training or tool, operates safely just by pulling down, and is obvious if it is not latched.
There’s no doubt that if fitted correctly and without issues the roof will work fine. But can you trust most fitters? and there is also the issue of human error when fitting, even if you go with the most respected fitter.
In the situation of fitting issues or equipment failure which is very common, the straps are undoubtedly the best for security.

Good points mostly. Especially regarding the key. I dread to think of the contraption I will invent to hold the roof down if I lost my key while on the road.

Not sure I would call the introduction to my new roof and a simple quick tip on how to use it 'training'. hehehe.

Last edited:
I was also shown to have a hand on the roof so that you can feel the Camlock pull the roof tight as it locks. I was shown too to put a thumb under the front corner and try pressing it up to ensure it doesn’t lift.
I had my roof pop open on me as I was driving the day after it was fitted when it had been closed and demonstrated to me by my installer.
Looking at your photo @RunDSG does the camlock fully engage the locking bar? It looks as though it might only just catch it. That might be the perspective of the photo. As @Grim Reaper noted your camlock is different design to his and mine - my roof being only a few weeks old.

The longer this thread gets, the happier I am with my Reimo straps. I'd be driving everywhere in a state of high anxiety if I couldn't see that I'd closed cams correctly and couldn't be certain they'd been installed correctly. As @drinfinity says, there needs to be an indicator to show that the mechanism has been closed correctly. However, even this wouldn't save your if the fixings have been incorrectly positioned and/or the roof adjusted properly. Can't say I like the gap between the spoiler and the roof after adjustment @davecdjt - did the installer not offer to refit?

The longer this thread gets, the happier I am with my Reimo straps. I'd be driving everywhere in a state of high anxiety if I couldn't see that I'd closed cams correctly and couldn't be certain they'd been installed correctly. As @drinfinity says, there needs to be an indicator to show that the mechanism has been closed correctly. However, even this wouldn't save your if the fixings have been incorrectly positioned and/or the roof adjusted properly. Can't say I like the gap between the spoiler and the roof after adjustment @davecdjt - did the installer not offer to refit?
No, they didn’t offer to refit it. However, we had just set off for Newcastle and had a 5 hour drive in front of us. They worked hard to ensure the roof was safe and we were able to set off (3+ hours later than planned). I can raise the matter with them when the van is next in to see if it’s is feasible to reposition the spoiler.

Right, I’m on a bit of a virtual design mission now. Electric tailgate catches are cheap and easily available. With a pair of the right design, you could have a roof that slams shut like a tailgate and is securely locked. You could then electrically switch the catches open, and pop the roof up.

Right, I’m on a bit of a virtual design mission now. Electric tailgate catches are cheap and easily available. With a pair of the right design, you could have a roof that slams shut like a tailgate and is securely locked. You could then electrically switch the catches open, and pop the roof up.
Is there any way to modify something that already exists? I’m thinking of all the different but similar locking levers they have on convertibles. I have a single central lever on my MX 5 Roadster that locks into place for example. I have to press a release catch for it to work

Whilst we’re on the subject of closing systems. I’ve never actually seen one in the flesh, but… how do the electronic pop tops lock themselves when in the closed position. Like the electronic pop tops installed on some California’s

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the skyline catch system.

There's so many simple check you can do after closing to make sure its ok.

Use your hand to hold it down as you lock it, compress the seal

Try lift the roof from the outside corner after locking

After locking and Before finally closing the bed hatch, try push the roof up!

People need to take responsibility, its exactly the same as securing a load in a trailer or roof rack, its up to YOU to make sure it is ok before you drive off.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the skyline catch system.

There's so many simple check you can do after closing to make sure its ok.

Use your hand to hold it down as you lock it, compress the seal

Try lift the roof from the outside corner after locking

After locking and Before finally closing the bed hatch, try push the roof up!

People need to take responsibility, its exactly the same as securing a load in a trailer or roof rack, its up to YOU to make sure it is ok before you drive off.
I agree to some extent but if there’s an opportunity to improve something whilst reducing risk then surely it’s worth looking at.

Is there any way to modify something that already exists? I’m thinking of all the different but similar locking levers they have on convertibles. I have a single central lever on my MX 5 Roadster that locks into place for example. I have to press a release catch for it to work
Gives a few more options to look at. Also we have the bonnet release mechanism, which is exactly the same movement as a pop top.

Back