Skyline Aurora Pop-Top opening on motorway?

Creamytash

T6 Guru
Hello all, I am converting a 2020 plate T6.1 and have had my van booked in for some time now to have the pop up roof fitted(due to be done in a couple of weeks). I opted for the Skyline Aurora. However I have since been contacted by my installer(not naming names) who tells me that they are no longer installing the skyline Aurora roof due to recent problems with the roof opening up while driving on the motorway. I was told that this has happened to 12 vehicles so far and that it is the catches at the front failing, allowing the roof to pop open in the slip stream during motorway driving. I have not spoken to Skyline on this issue. I was told by my installer that so far, Skyline are not accepting any liability for this and are unwilling to acknowledge that there is a fault in the design. Does anyone on here know anything about this problem, has anyone heard of this happening or had it happen to them. I know that this is a contentious subject, I am not bashing Skyline but repeating what I was told by my installer for why they will not now fit the Aurora roof to my van.

I have a Skyline Aurora roof fitted to my SWB van. I can’t fault the product at all, catches open and close firmly on mine and haven’t had any issues with mine at all. The roof was installed April 2020 and I’ve covered 3500 miles since then, some motorway driving around 70mph and road driving as per normal. I personally cannot report any concerns.

I also don’t know of anyone who has reported pop tops flying open, I’ve seen some stories but don’t believe I’ve seen anything posted on here. I find these stories tend to pop up on Facebook groups but nobody will ever admit if they failed to check if they shut the pop top correctly or not

For piece of mind I do check my catches prior to driving as well as other check on my van before disappearing anywhere.

Also, I found Skyline to be very helpful and quick with their communication. They’ve always responded to my emails within a few hours. Drop them a message and I’m sure they’ll give you the facts

Hmm. If there were twelve of these I would expect to be able to find news of it. So far my googlefu has only turned up a manufacturer of a new improved catch for trailer tent pop tops, with videos or two fitted with overcentre catches which let go on motorways (US and AU).

I’m interested in the same roof, and would have rack+load on, so do want to understand.

If it is true, user error is a possibility. However, it could be a user error that is difficult to detect (there is no indication of the catch position when closed), and catastrophic consequence, so puts it high on a risk assessment.

@BlayneKinley how do you check prior to driving?

I know what you mean, I haven’t searched for any failures but you’d expect to see them discussed on forums and in obvious locations if it’s a common defect with a product.

I just unlock and re lock the catches to confirm they’re locked before heading off. I also do a quick walk around and press my tyres to ensure no slow punctures etc, kind of a piece of mind check and maybe an OCD haha I also check for any scratches or marks as I like my van to be in top top condition, the neighbours cat tends to enjoy running over bonnets around our area!

It’s one of those locking systems that once you’ve used it you’d know if it’s locked or not. Visually I would say it’s obvious too. If my memory serves me correctly the lock is a 180 degree lock. From the unlocked position, the first 90 degree turn is the lock engaging with the catch, the second 90 degree turn really pulls the pop top down on the van roof and you can visually see the rubber edging compressed down on the roof on both sides. I really like the closure system and purposely selected this roof to do away with all the straps etc.

As per my first message, I’m really impressed with my roof and I have no faults to report back.

If it has happened, i bet its on a hire van, and user error.

There's no danger they are opening themselves unless they are not locked properly. - ie NOT engaged!

I spoke to Skyline today, the person I spoke to told me that there had been 'a handfull' of catch failures in the last 12 months but stressed that the product was not at fault as in their opinion the problem had occured due to incorrect fitting by installers or not having been locked down correctly. OK, so it's out there and if this thread does no more than flag up the need to be double sure that you have locked down the catches on your Skyline roof. For me personally I am opting for a different manufacturers product. Thank you for taking the time to give your views and experiences on this subject.

I spoke to Skyline today, the person I spoke to told me that there had been 'a handfull' of catch failures in the last 12 months but stressed that the product was not at fault as in their opinion the problem had occured due to incorrect fitting by installers or not having been locked down correctly. OK, so it's out there and if this thread does no more than flag up the need to be double sure that you have locked down the catches on your Skyline roof. For me personally I am opting for a different manufacturers product. Thank you for taking the time to give your views and experiences on this subject.
Does make sense, if the installer drills the lock position in the incorrect place the catchment of the lock and clasp is then questionable. I’d hope that the installers would have this as a template so the position is exact on ever install. As you said though, if it raises a little awareness to check the lock before heading off on a journey then all is good. Same applies to any locking system on all products though

Last time I spoke to Stephen at Skyline North, he mentioned they'd had an instance of the roof coming open, but from what he could tell, the user had only turned the camlock halfway (first quarter turn locks the cam into the roof latch) and not turned it again (second quarter turn pulls the roof down to the van roof)
I think he said that the person he'd shown how to close the camlock latches was not the person who had 'closed' them before the incident.
Maybe a case of insufficient knowledge (passed on) about how mechanical closures work.
I know how they work and am happy to continue recommending the Aurora to anyone looking for a Pop-Top.
Auroraclosing1.jpgCamlock open, notice gap between the bar and the surround with the rubber sealing washer on the shaft. This is the first level where the cam bar would turn and catch the latch bolted to the roof above.
Auroraclosing2.jpgCamlock closed, the locking bar has been pulled down squashing the rubber washer and in this position the roof is pulled down hard against the van body.

Last time I spoke to Stephen at Skyline North, he mentioned they'd had an instance of the roof coming open, but from what he could tell, the user had only turned the camlock halfway (first quarter turn locks the cam into the roof latch) and not turned it again (second quarter turn pulls the roof down to the van roof)
I think he said that the person he'd shown how to close the camlock latches was not the person who had 'closed' them before the incident.
Maybe a case of insufficient knowledge (passed on) about how mechanical closures work.
I know how they work and am happy to continue recommending the Aurora to anyone looking for a Pop-Top.
View attachment 144408Camlock open, notice gap between the bar and the surround with the rubber sealing washer on the shaft. This is the first level where the cam bar would turn and catch the latch bolted to the roof above.
View attachment 144409Camlock closed, the locking bar has been pulled down squashing the rubber washer and in this position the roof is pulled down hard against the van body.
Nice photos. How and what camera did you squeeze in there? Haha very impressive!

I have a Skyline Aurora. The latches close firmly and I have no doubts about their functionality.

I far prefer this to the idea of pulling down straps.

View attachment 144408Camlock open, notice gap between the bar and the surround with the rubber sealing washer on the shaft. This is the first level where the cam bar would turn and catch the latch bolted to the roof above.
View attachment 144409Camlock closed, the locking bar has been pulled down squashing the rubber washer and in this position the roof is pulled down hard against the van body.
Nuf Sed mate.

Got the aurora fitted to our LWB and it locks down really well and its been on our van for only a year now but I've done some decent milage, no problems with ours.

Hi All. @Creamytash - I have had a Skyline Aroura fitted to my LWB T6 & recently on the motorway, the roof opened at high speed! When I pulled over, the locking cams were locked properly. I closed the roof & triple checked that the cams had pulled the roof down, but a mile later, the same thing happened. Next step is to contact the company who installed it, but interestingly, they have started installing a different brand of pop top.

Can you take a picture like mine above showing the camlock closed with the retaining bar above it and post it on here?
I find it hard to believe that with the cams in the fully closed position that the bar would be able to escape (unless they have been installed in the wrong positions)

That must be terrifying @Nmrayns, especially twice in quick succession! I can't imagine it's done your roof much good. Has it survived? Even if it has, I'm sure you've lost confidence driving it on the motorway - I certainly would! I have a Reimo with straps and would far rather be able to see the mechanism so I know for certain it's locked down safely. They're quick to use and tuck neatly out of the way.

Hi All. @Creamytash - I have had a Skyline Aroura fitted to my LWB T6 & recently on the motorway, the roof opened at high speed! When I pulled over, the locking cams were locked properly. I closed the roof & triple checked that the cams had pulled the roof down, but a mile later, the same thing happened. Next step is to contact the company who installed it, but interestingly, they have started installing a different brand of pop top.

Can you take a picture like mine above showing the camlock closed with the retaining bar above it and post it on here?
I find it hard to believe that with the cams in the fully closed position that the bar would be able to escape (unless they have been installed in the wrong positions)
The converter that I take my van to has stopped fitting Skyline Aurora tops. I was told by him that Skyline pass the blame to the installer or the user. See my past threads on this subject.

The converter that I take my van to has stopped fitting Skyline Aurora tops. I was told by him that Skyline pass the blame to the installer or the user. See my past threads on this subject.
I think we have to keep in mind that there’s a real possibility that the responsibility IS with the installer.

I know 2 owners who have had the locking mechanism fail, resulting in their aurora opening unexpectedly.
I also spoke to two of my local converters who fit skyline and Austops. They both told me to avoid aurora due to this issue.

If he can't give evidence that the roof is closing and locking correctly, then I'm afraid I reserve judgement on whether the roof has been installed correctly or user error has occurred. Did the camlocks undo themselves or have the bars bent in some way?
As I said above, in the pictures the camlocks should overlap the locking bars attached to the roof shell by some margin, and the way the hinges work, there would be no way for the roof shell to move forwards far enough to escape the camlock bar. The rubber spoiler glued to the top of the screen would additionally preclude this, acting as a stop. Photographic evidence is required for us all to make a call on what has happened over his anecdotal evidence.

I think we have to keep in mind that there’s a real possibility that the responsibility IS with the installer.
There may also be a design failure. However, I think makes you ask 'Why' installers are now refusing to fit Skyline Aurora roofs. The subject is now no longer relevant to me as I have had my pop up roof fitted and just got my van back today. The idea of my initial post on this subject was to ask the question prior to my roof being fitted. At that time the responses were positive in favour of Aurora. It has taken until now for the posting of stories of the locking mechanism having failed - for what ever resson to be posted.

Back