Skyline Aurora Pop-Top opening on motorway?

Brilliant.
Thanks mate
No worries. Let me know if you want any details.

I had thought the cover was meant to sit on the ledge (that’s how the converter had it wedged in), but I think it’s meant to sit roughly level with the bottom.

With that in mind, I would fit this latch a little lower. And I might actually move it. It can be a little tough to get it closed at times.

No worries. Let me know if you want any details.

I had thought the cover was meant to sit on the ledge (that’s how the converter had it wedged in), but I think it’s meant to sit roughly level with the bottom.

With that in mind, I would fit this latch a little lower. And I might actually move it. It can be a little tough to get it closed at times.
Thanks for your help

Yup. This is something I was really unhappy about.

Our converter left our cover hanging down. I was baffled… they managed to push it into place where it would stay for an entire 17 seconds. I pulled away after spending huge money on a full conversion and the cover flops down.

So I turn right back around and ask what I’m supposed to do with this.

They shrug as if to say… not our problem. I told them I couldn’t believe this is how they expect to leave it.

They then gave me the shite clips from Skyline and say they don’t fit them because they’re dangerous. I agree! But they have no alternative. Idiots.

So I did this. Found this clip on eBay and fitted it. Works well.

Spoke to guys at Skyline months later. They said they had developed a much improved magnetic system but needed to shift their remaining stock of these shitty things first. Not sure if their magnetic system is now implemented.

This aspect of my roof install I was not at all pleased about. The craftsmanship and materials for the the rest is very good.

I would still recommend a Skyline roof. I wouldn’t recommend my conversion company however.

View attachment 150060

View attachment 150061
These also look like a better alternative to the standard catch. They are a little more ‘visible’ than the option at #67 post. In their favour I would think there would be no need to lift the bed board engage it into the locked position as with the button. Might be easier to use?

That looks much better. I had mine fitted be Skyline North so you’d expect them to fit a clasp as part of the install. I ended up using something I had in the garage which I think is better than the one they sent me.

View attachment 150075

View attachment 150076
I’ve been checking these button fix out. Since yours looks like it is mounted on the surface as mine would be now if I retrospectively used one of these, there would inevitably be a slight gap with the hatch closed. Do you have a picture of yours closed so we can see how ‘obvious’ that gap is please?

I’ve been checking these button fix out. Since yours looks like it is mounted on the surface as mine would be now if I retrospectively used one of these, there would inevitably be a slight gap with the hatch closed. Do you have a picture of yours closed so we can see how ‘obvious’ that gap is please?
Seconded!

I think the runners are too short on mine as well but skyline ignored that question so I’d be interested to know whether yours are longer

890B2891-E0B4-4C49-9AD5-19756C19FE34.jpeg

I grabbed a quick few photos of my roof with a view to changing to the button fix catch. I think the button will be well hidden with my roof as it is. I’ll take a good look at the frame to mount it onto when I have time to put the roof up.

C3E57974-9E11-46D9-88BF-1F2915594161.jpeg

11AEA5BA-C23E-4696-AD4C-7ED32887DA3B.jpeg

04F53A69-FC59-4771-A7B6-80676C1E5F34.jpeg

392480E6-81AB-4965-B3DA-C919F22A7221.jpeg

I have been thinking of embedding a couple of these into the hatch board so they sit within a matching hole in the surround when closed.
roundendrods.jpg
If they don't stick out too far they will be hidden by the bed board when its slid back so no risk of catching them, plus the rounded ends will reduce chance of injury.

I have been thinking of embedding a couple of these into the hatch board so they sit within a matching hole in the surround when closed.
View attachment 150346
If they don't stick out too far they will be hidden by the bed board when its slid back so no risk of catching them, plus the rounded ends will reduce chance of injury.

What are they, super-strength magnets?

No, just stainless steel worktop rods ( meant to be embedded in a worktop to allow hot pans to be rested upon them )
I'd be drilling matching holes in slider cover and surround so the rods embed themselves in the surround when the slider is closed thus stopping it from sagging.

Looking at the pictures of the locking mechanism (thanks Grim Reaper) it definitely shows you could possibly lock off with the key and not secured the roof, and not able to see if it is secured as it is fully obscured by the roof being down. Think I am going to keep strapping mine, I even cable tie both securing points on a long journey, so there is no possibility of the roof flying open at motorway speeds.

Back