Skyline Aurora Pop-Top opening on motorway?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the skyline catch system.

There's so many simple check you can do after closing to make sure its ok.

Use your hand to hold it down as you lock it, compress the seal

Try lift the roof from the outside corner after locking

After locking and Before finally closing the bed hatch, try push the roof up!

People need to take responsibility, its exactly the same as securing a load in a trailer or roof rack, its up to YOU to make sure it is ok before you drive off.
I'm not sure the growing number of people who have experienced the roof opening whilst driving on the motorway would agree with you @MK2Golf24v. Whilst @RunDSG has admitted to operator error on behalf of his better:oops: half, a number of the posts here seem to suggest that (possibly due to poor installation), the cams are somehow losing contact with the roof latch. @davecdjt had to have his roof adjusted backwards to apparently increase the overlap of the cams, implying that the cams had been positioned too far back, and whilst this is obviously an installer issue, without the ability to see the catches once the roof is down it's a 'fail to danger' situation as pointed out by @drinfinity. My backside would be in a permanent state of twitch if I had one and couldn't be certain it wasn't going to lift up.

My missus is at an age where her concentration and memory levels are badly affected so we have to take measures to remind her of certain things. Plug on drivers seat for EHU, strap round steering wheel for pop top, etc

Reactions: CAB
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the skyline catch system.

There's so many simple check you can do after closing to make sure its ok.

Use your hand to hold it down as you lock it, compress the seal

Try lift the roof from the outside corner after locking

After locking and Before finally closing the bed hatch, try push the roof up!

People need to take responsibility, its exactly the same as securing a load in a trailer or roof rack, its up to YOU to make sure it is ok before you drive off.
Agreed, ours feels very secure when locked down and we always do all of the above checks.

Anyone had an issue with the sliding cover dropping down when closed? I noticed it was slowly getting worse so I contacted skyline and they sent me the attached clasp which I have to say is dog****. And has sharp edges so can see one of the kids catching their heads on it.

19C356F2-5064-44FB-8EFD-2471385323A9.jpeg

Anyone had an issue with the sliding cover dropping down when closed? I noticed it was slowly getting worse so I contacted skyline and they sent me the attached clasp which I have to say is dog****. And has sharp edges so can see one of the kids catching their heads on it.

View attachment 150051
Yup. This is something I was really unhappy about.

Our converter left our cover hanging down. I was baffled… they managed to push it into place where it would stay for an entire 17 seconds. I pulled away after spending huge money on a full conversion and the cover flops down.

So I turn right back around and ask what I’m supposed to do with this.

They shrug as if to say… not our problem. I told them I couldn’t believe this is how they expect to leave it.

They then gave me the shite clips from Skyline and say they don’t fit them because they’re dangerous. I agree! But they have no alternative. Idiots.

So I did this. Found this clip on eBay and fitted it. Works well.

Spoke to guys at Skyline months later. They said they had developed a much improved magnetic system but needed to shift their remaining stock of these shitty things first. Not sure if their magnetic system is now implemented.

This aspect of my roof install I was not at all pleased about. The craftsmanship and materials for the the rest is very good.

I would still recommend a Skyline roof. I wouldn’t recommend my conversion company however.

ED134163-3479-4EC1-BA50-E06DDC5DA4B0.jpeg

E03074EB-2B6D-4CB0-A68D-976D40744444.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like this. Does it work well? Mine can be tough to get in exactly the right place.
It’s totally hidden when closed which I like and feels solid. The only issue is because you lift first before sliding back, it’s a bit stiff until you drop back down.

It’s totally hidden when closed which I like and feels solid. The only issue is because you lift first before sliding back, it’s a bit stiff until you drop back down.
Any idea where I could fine one?

Our converter left our cover hanging down. I was baffled… they managed to push it into place where it would stay for an entire 17 seconds. I pulled away after spending huge money on a full conversion and the cover flops down.

They shrug as if to say… not our problem. I told them I couldn’t believe this is how they expect to leave it.

They then gave me the shite clips from Skyline and say they don’t fit them because they’re dangerous. I agree! But they have no alternative. Idiots.

Spoke to guys at Skyline months later. They said they had developed a much improved magnetic system but needed to shift their remaining stock of these shitty things first. Not sure if their magnetic system is now implemented.

This aspect of my roof install I was not at all pleased about. The craftsmanship and materials for the the rest is very good.

I would still recommend a Skyline roof. I wouldn’t recommend my conversion company however.

View attachment 150060

View attachment 150061
Could you please post a link to this product.
Thanks

View attachment 150060

View attachment 150061
Link to the product please

Back