Skyline Aurora Pop-Top opening on motorway?

If he can't give evidence that the roof is closing and locking correctly, then I'm afraid I reserve judgement on whether the roof has been installed correctly or user error has occurred. Did the camlocks undo themselves or have the bars bent in some way?
As I said above, in the pictures the camlocks should overlap the locking bars attached to the roof shell by some margin, and the way the hinges work, there would be no way for the roof shell to move forwards far enough to escape the camlock bar. The rubber spoiler glued to the top of the screen would additionally preclude this, acting as a stop. Photographic evidence is required for us all to make a call on what has happened over his anecdotal evidence.
I agree 100%.

If the mechanism has failed, and these people know this first hand, they should be able to identify the issue. It’s not complicated.

Knowing how my Aurora works, I can’t see how it could fail.

But of course if there’s a real problem then I am absolutely interested in finding out. Currently, I can’t take the reports seriously unless there’s details or photos to verify.

There may also be a design failure. However, I think makes you ask 'Why' installers are now refusing to fit Skyline Aurora roofs. The subject is now no longer relevant to me as I have had my pop up roof fitted and just got my van back today. The idea of my initial post on this subject was to ask the question prior to my roof being fitted. At that time the responses were positive in favour of Aurora. It has taken until now for the posting of stories of the locking mechanism having failed - for what ever resson to be posted.
Not everyone gets on this forum everyday, it’s very easy to miss posts. I’ve only seen this post today after someone else’s reply.

I had an Aurora roof fitted at my local converter in January along with some other work. The roof was demonstrated to me on collection, locked down correctly and I took my van home - a short drive across town. The next day I set off for a long drive to the North East, I’d gone about 7 miles before joining a dual carriageway. I’d not been on the road long before the inner roof/bed ‘popped’ off the clip. I had a bad feeling but felt nothing else, I slowed and tried to look in my mirrors to see if the roof had opened. Moments later the next vehicle to pass me jestured wildly at my roof and I pulled off the road onto a slip road that I was just adjacent to. The roof was up! I felt sick. I had no idea why or how and did not look at the position of locking levers. I pulled the roof back down and called my installer who was just 10 miles away and took the van straight back to them. A couple of hours later the roof was ‘fixed’ and a good deal more secure feeling than the day I’d picked it up. The roof lifted slightly at front corners which I was uncertain about but the installer who showed me did not seem concerned. The roof does not lift at the corners now. I’m confident the roof is ok. The installer is confident and they fit a number of these. They told me they were going to speak to speak to Skyline about the matter of the roof opening.
I wasn’t aware that others have had issues and I didn’t make a fuss at the time. I pondered whether I would say anything here, but it happened, and so I thought I’d set it on record. I do not know whether there was any human error involved - I do know that the boss of the company used would make sure that his entire crew would make note and learn from the experience. That is a good outcome for me. My van still looks great and I love it. The weather has been mostly hideous since the incident so the roof has not been up since. I do know that if I have any questions, that having used a local installer, the answer is just a short drive away :)

I know 2 owners who have had the locking mechanism fail, resulting in their aurora opening unexpectedly.
I also spoke to two of my local converters who fit skyline and Austops. They both told me to avoid aurora due to this issue.
I have also been told this by a converter who fits Skyline roofs.

Edit: They also told me they are now fitting Storm pop tops which are far better in quality. But no LWB as yet.

I had an Aurora roof fitted at my local converter in January along with some other work. The roof was demonstrated to me on collection, locked down correctly and I took my van home - a short drive across town. The next day I set off for a long drive to the North East, I’d gone about 7 miles before joining a dual carriageway. I’d not been on the road long before the inner roof/bed ‘popped’ off the clip. I had a bad feeling but felt nothing else, I slowed and tried to look in my mirrors to see if the roof had opened. Moments later the next vehicle to pass me jestured wildly at my roof and I pulled off the road onto a slip road that I was just adjacent to. The roof was up! I felt sick. I had no idea why or how and did not look at the position of locking levers. I pulled the roof back down and called my installer who was just 10 miles away and took the van straight back to them. A couple of hours later the roof was ‘fixed’ and a good deal more secure feeling than the day I’d picked it up. The roof lifted slightly at front corners which I was uncertain about but the installer who showed me did not seem concerned. The roof does not lift at the corners now. I’m confident the roof is ok. The installer is confident and they fit a number of these. They told me they were going to speak to speak to Skyline about the matter of the roof opening.
I wasn’t aware that others have had issues and I didn’t make a fuss at the time. I pondered whether I would say anything here, but it happened, and so I thought I’d set it on record. I do not know whether there was any human error involved - I do know that the boss of the company used would make sure that his entire crew would make note and learn from the experience. That is a good outcome for me. My van still looks great and I love it. The weather has been mostly hideous since the incident so the roof has not been up since. I do know that if I have any questions, that having used a local installer, the answer is just a short drive away :)
Sounds like a very concerning experience!

If the roof was lifting at the front from the start, and they were able to fasten it more securely, this sounds like an error in fitting rather than design.

What do mean by inner roof/bed popping off the clip? Do you mean the sliding hatch cover?

I can’t believe the roof didn’t pull off completely, having opened at motorway speed! Need to put this in the windy camping chats… where people stress about 25mph winds. I guess this means the Aurora pop tops are super tough!

Sounds like a very concerning experience!

If the roof was lifting at the front from the start, and they were able to fasten it more securely, this sounds like an error in fitting rather than design.

What do mean by inner roof/bed popping off the clip? Do you mean the sliding hatch cover?

I can’t believe the roof didn’t pull off completely, having opened at motorway speed! Need to put this in the windy camping chats… where people stress about 25mph winds. I guess this means the Aurora pop tops are super tough!
Yes, I mean the sliding hatch cover, I couldn’t think what it was called. I’m told the roofs are tested at ‘speed’ to ensure they are safe in such circumstances.

Yes, I mean the sliding hatch cover, I couldn’t think what it was called. I’m told the roofs are tested at ‘speed’ to ensure they are safe in such circumstances.
I really can’t see a lot of roofs being strong enough for this. We’ve seen photos on here of roofs ripped off on the motorway. Dunno!

Maybe I don’t need to craaaawl around when manoeuvring with the top up!

I really can’t see a lot of roofs being strong enough for this. We’ve seen photos on here of roofs ripped off on the motorway. Dunno!

Maybe I don’t need to craaaawl around when manoeuvring with the top up!
I would have been doing 50mph+ when it opened. The installers had to reposition it slightly on the roof of the van as it had moved slightly apparently. There was no damage to the pop top or the van. What is different since that incident after adjusting the roof is that the pop top sits a little further back than it did after it was first installed. The pop top originally brushed the rubber deflector as it closed when it was being shown to me on collection. There is now a gap.

C40D3460-A7C7-44AD-9CCD-D0A256029982.jpeg

I would have been doing 50mph+ when it opened. The installers had to reposition it slightly on the roof of the van as it had moved slightly apparently. There was no damage to the pop top or the van. What is different since that incident after adjusting the roof is that the pop top sits a little further back than it did after it was first installed. The pop top originally brushed the rubber deflector as it closed when it was being shown to me on collection. There is now a gap.

View attachment 147097
Interesting!

Yea mine is really snug against that wind deflector.

Anyhow, glad your roof is now safe and secure. To be honest, I’m now more confident in how robust this roof is!

I have also been told this by a converter who fits Skyline roofs.

Edit: They also told me they are now fitting Storm pop tops which are far better in quality. But no LWB as yet.
Could be the same converters. As they told me they’ve moved away from skyline to storm.

Well, thats at least 2 have the same opinion then.
Yea but must always remember they’re salesmen. Every company I’ve visited believes their product is the best.

We all have to form our own opinions.

Allegations of unsafe equipment are dangerous without hearing the full story.

As an Aurora owner, I welcome photos or first hand descriptions. If they’re unsafe, I certainly want to know.

In the meantime, I feel fully confident in my cam locks. The pop top is firmly fastened and I’ve seen no sign of them budging whilst driving.

Mine was fitted by Skyline, near Bristol.

Yea but must always remember they’re salesmen. Every company I’ve visited believes their product is the best.

We all have to form our own opinions.

Allegations of unsafe equipment are dangerous without hearing the full story.

As an Aurora owner, I welcome photos or first hand descriptions. If they’re unsafe, I certainly want to know.

In the meantime, I feel fully confident in my cam locks. The pop top is firmly fastened and I’ve seen no sign of them budging whilst driving.

Mine was fitted by Skyline, near Bristol.
No, it wasn’t a salesman. It was a fitter who sells and fits both roofs. He showed me around both roofs as a comparison. He is not making a product, so no axe to grind that way. He also is a fitter for HiLo, or I should say was as they don’t fit 5hem anymore.

No, it wasn’t a salesman. It was a fitter who sells and fits both roofs. He showed me around both roofs as a comparison. He is not making a product, so no axe to grind that way. He also is a fitter for HiLo, or I should say was as they don’t fit 5hem anymore.
That’s something I’d like to do… see a direct comparison. What were the key differences?

That’s something I’d like to do… see a direct comparison. What were the key differences?
The finish on the Storm roof is the best on any roof I have seen. Especially on the underside of the fibreglass.
the converter said the bed board was a lot better on the Storm. Also that the bits for the inside were better. The installs weren’t finished so I couldn’t compare.
He seemed to say that since the Skylow came out and they were producing a lot more roofs then the quality was suffering, things like roofs turning up with cuts in the canvas and even the wrong coloured canvas amongst others.

Weren’t you the same clown telling everyone how great Skyline are just a few months ago? :laugh:

View attachment 147097
So this says to me that the bars attached to the roof were too far forward in relation to the rotating locking catches, moving the roof back (which is the only thing that can be done now the holes for the catches are already drilled) puts the bars further back and closer to the correct point for the locking mechanism rotating catches.
I call installation error with the rotating catches being put in the wrong place.
Still need a picture of the catches with the roof down and almost closed.....

Back