The other option is to take the headlight units out but that means taking the front end off..

Can you remove the beam pattern clip ? Seems like that would stop a lot of light coming out from the headlight.

I’ve replaced the H4 bulbs for upgrade ones now got yellow light on in dash what has to be done to get this out any ideas thanks

Hi,

just switched to H4 Osram Nightbreakers. I watched the video above as well as a couple of other ones on YouTube.

I think it helps if; You have small-medium sized hands. That's it really.

Alternatively.

Take your time. Not taking your time will result in; swearing, skinning your knuckles, dropping things into places where you shouldn't be dropping things, it not working, a complete waste of everyones time.

Watch those videos
Have a cup of tea
1. Remove the covers clips- (easy)
2. remove the covers and put them somewhere safe (easy)
3. Remove the connectors (not quite as easy but not hard and big hands would be a problem)
4. Push the bulb retaining clip in and aside- when it works it woks and does not take a lot of force at all. (not easy-but also not hard- just needs a bit of relatively gentle trial and error).
5. Push the retaining clip down and the wires aside (easy)
6. Whilst looking at the bulb through the headlight- wriggle the bulb out. (not easy- do not drop the bulb, look through the headlight to see- and also check from above, don't drop the bulb).

Watch the videos again.
Have another cup of tea.
7. New bulb into place, as above- look above but also through the headlight. Don't drop the bulb.
8. Retaining clip up and push back into place (much easier than releasing)
9. Reconnect (not too difficult- if your hand will fit)
10. Put cover back and clips down (easy)

Pat self on back.
Put kettle on.

Hi,

just switched to H4 Osram Nightbreakers. I watched the video above as well as a couple of other ones on YouTube.

Alternatively.

Take your time. Not taking your time will result in; swearing, skinning your knuckles, dropping things into places where you shouldn't be dropping things, it not working, a complete waste of everyones time.

Watch those videos
Have a cup of tea
3. Remove the connectors (not quite as easy but not hard and big hands would be a problem)
4. Push the bulb retaining clip in and aside- when it works it woks and does not take a lot of force at all. (not easy-but also not hard- just needs a bit of relatively gentle trial and error).
6. Whilst looking at the bulb through the headlight- wriggle the bulb out. (not easy- do not drop the bulb, look through the headlight to see- and also check from above, don't drop the bulb).

Watch the videos again.
Have another cup of tea.
7. New bulb into place, as above- look above but also through the headlight. Don't drop the bulb.

Pat self on back.
Put kettle on.

Okay - kettle on standby, I'm going in.....

I took a photo with my phone of the back of the bulb once it was exposed, so that I could see how the clip held the bulb in. Made life much easier in working out what my fingers were feeling.

Pete

I think @ed123 nailed it with his description. I changed to Night breakers a couple of weeks ago and once you get the sequence right, ie. covers, plugs, clip then bulb its actually quite straightforward. Hardest part for me (and I have large hands) was the plug removal.

After an hour trying, I just can’t get my hands in their to grab the fitting.... will have to take the air filter cover off...

Hi,

Alternatively.

Watch those videos
Have a cup of tea

Watch the videos again.
Have another cup of tea.

Pat self on back.
Put kettle on.
Just done this following @ed123's checklist. Two things to note:
- Don't miss the tea, it is essential :laugh:
- @Pauly's video is great, really helpful, BUT the headlights are not mirror-images; the bulb retaining clip goes the same way on each. Took me a bit to figure it out!

Well done. A sneaky alternative. Take it Halfords, buy the bulbs. Take up the offer of having them fitted. Have a short walk or sit in the truck, read your book and listen to BBC R3 or similar, oblivious while they skin knuckles etc. Drive truck home. Immediately write up here, how easy it was to follow the above instructions. Drink congratulatory beer and smile smugly. Wife gives head a pat and provides favourite treat and then complain what a hard job it was. o_O:sneaky: Have favoured choice of TV watching.

I think I favour the Halfords option, I always have a nightmare fitting bulbs as my hands are too big. Then the next question is what are the best bulbs Halfords stock? Doesn't look like they sell night breakers.

Philips X-tremeVision Pro150 H4

Before:
2020-10-18 H4 only.jpg

After:

2020-11-15 H4 +150%.jpg

The pictures don't really do them justice, they are considerably better than OEM.

Why this particular bulb? I searched through all of the '+' rated bulbs; many of them only had a 6 month warranty and were rated at less than 300 hours, so presumably putting extra power through a filament that can't handle it for as long; these were the highest rated bulbs with the full 1yr warranty, specs list a 540hr lifespan.

I would now rate them as 'Acceptable' rather than "OMFG I can't see''; not bright enough to be rated as 'Good'.

Last edited:
Just changed minen back- easy! Take it slow and do one thing at a time- I did each step on each side before moving to the next step. I think this helped. Cover off- easy. Remove connector- less easy. The hardest bit is releasing the clip- as it is subtle- no brute force needed. Wriggle out- the right side is tricky. Bulbs in- easy. Connectors on- tricky on the right. Covers on- easy.

Slow and steady wins the race- NO FORCE needed.

Reactions: CAB
Hi all,

I am in the process of changing the H4 bulbs in my 2016 T6.

I have searched the forum to see if someone has posted something in the past but couldn’t find anything.

I have removed the metal clip and the plastic covering. I have removed the plug from the back of the bulb. I have pinged off the metal clip which is holding the bulb in place. I have taken the bulb out and placed the new one in.

Here’s where I need help. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to put the metal clip back that holds the bulb in place. Nor can I figure out where the clip is supposed go. Below is a photo of the back of the bulb.

Can anyone advise exact where I need to get the clip to attach to?

Is there a thread somewhere with some advise on it?

Thanks,

A
124C18F1-0264-4475-AAE6-085A2F5D2633.jpeg

I think the clip has pulled out of the square diecast ally bit…should be push then left or right to engage the barb on the steel clip.7BC36C7F-2ECF-445F-ABE1-0547DCC995BA.jpeg

Bit blurrey…EB2A4E21-1AE6-490C-AA34-E6C792282EDB.jpeg

there is definitely a metal clip missing from the hole in the ally bit. How did you remove the wire retainer? did anything ping off ?

Here is a better pic..10C1A3DC-C1BC-4CC6-B515-3E744A45ED04.jpeg

Back