You can fit the new battery yourself now without to many issues.

The van will adapt and keep the new battery charged...

But at some point in the future you should have the new battery coded in the van... say over the next 6months or so.

That way you the stored SOH and SOC will be reset.

You can fit the new battery yourself now without to many issues.

The van will adapt and keep the new battery charged...

But at some point in the future you should have the new battery coded in the van... say over the next 6months or so.

That way you the stored SOH and SOC will be reset.

If I do this do I need to stick with a similar aH battery? I'm keen to get a bigger one but to keep it simple I just looked at the most similar one I could find. It's due its service in the next 6 months and can it get it added then.

Same Ah size or bigger... not smaller.

And same chemistry type.. ie AGM - AGM

The main thing is the physical size and getting it to fit.

And post layout.

I managed to squeeze a 100Ah in my T5.1 but it was very tight.

Bosch S5 A13 95Ah battery is the biggest that will fit, it will need recoding to make best use of it though
View attachment 47343
It's a bit of a squeeze but the battery tray is big enough and the existing bolt down bracket at the front sits in the centre indent in the battery moulding so it's not going anywhere.

It tells the vans charging system what type (regular lead acid/enhanced flooded/AGM) of battery it is (so the charging rates can be matched to suit), what the capacity is (so the charging level can be matched to suit) and it lets it know it’s a new battery (if you changed like for like) so it can reset any learned charging adaptations it has made over the life of the old battery. If you changed (for example) an old lead acid 75Ah battery out for a new AGM 95Ah, it wouldn’t charge the 95Ah battery as much as it could, and may put too much voltage into it because AGM and Lead acid have different characteristics

Last edited:
I’ve just used the AA for a battery swap. Mine was completely dead and wouldn’t take a charge. Got a Bosch with a five year guarantee, all coded up.

I’ve just used the AA for a battery swap. Mine was completely dead and wouldn’t take a charge. Got a Bosch with a five year guarantee, all coded up.
AA gave you a Bosch???

Can you post a few pics anyway for size, fitment and model pls?

just for reference, here is the OEM Varta 7P0 915 105 A

12V
75aH
420A DIN
800A EN/SAE/GS

20200516_093440.jpg
20200516_093500.jpg20200516_093452.jpg

£235 fitted. Same price as a Varta from VW but 5 year guarantee. AA will fit batteries for non-members too.

View attachment 69944

View attachment 69945

I put an S5 in my wife’s car in 2010, and I’ve only just changed it again this year. It didn’t ever fail to start the car, but it would bring up an ABS error when you started it, if it’d been left for a week or so. 10 years from it - top battery!

Last edited:
I have got 2017 T6, warranty ran out in July 2020. We went away for 3 weeks and came back to find van with flat battery (August). So I recharged it and it was fine for while. Last week I did not use van so it was stood up for 6 days. Tried to start it last night - flat battery. Looks like VW replaced battery for the previous owner as it has stamp of 18 45 which I think is 45th week of 2018 (must have been just before I bought it). I am thinking to get new battery and bigger capacity. Any suggestions which one to get ?

P.S the only thing that could be drawing power is the additional Vodafone immobiliser.

Regards
Arun

Varta T21

I second that,

I put a Varta F21 in about 12-18 months ago and haven't had any issues with it, I've got a euro 5

When this one goes, i'll be fitting a Stop Start Lithium battery

This is the battery i have got, should i recharge or just get new one?

20201007_160505.jpg

Back