I would choose AGM over EFB any day.

EFB are just an attempt at getting AGM like performance at a cheaper cost.

AGMs have a higher rest voltage too. .. (which is good)

VW fitted me a VARTA AGM starter battery and a EFB Leisure battery . . . why? well the leisure battery had to be EFB or AGM as the factory spit charge relay just connected the batteries together . .

So EFB for the rapid higher charge rate due to stop / start . . . but cheaper than the AGM equivalent.

see the testing:

Strange. I ordered my 2017 T6 150 ps TSI with the optional Eberspacher heater. So, the leisure battery is also installed from factory. This is an AGM type. The starter battery is an EFB ( because it is locatad in a hot environment under the bonnet). That´s the opposite of the configuration your dealer is installing.
( I prefer the VW factory presciptions ).

I would choose AGM over EFB any day.

Agreed, EFBs have been considered by anyone in the industry to be a poor mans AGM.

My factory EFB has been on its last legs for 18 months (if i did a few small trips or parked up and the engine fan carried on running as i left the van, there was a good chance it would have enough left in it to crank it enough to start!) I had planned to wait until the warranty was close to running out then getting a swap from VW...however COVID closed down the dealerships around when the warranty was ending, which would have made getting an appointment tricky and well, I also couldn't be arsed with the booking an appointment, waiting...getting 'the man' to tell me what i already knew, waiting for parts and booking another apointment...so i just picked one up an 019 AGM from Tayna, VCDS'ed it in and its working well.

yep, odd. . . . . .

mines all factory fit.

when i went to the dealer for the failed MOL EFB leisure battery i asked for a AGM replacement.

They said they couldn't as the factory would only offer "like for like" warranty replacements. . . . and the AGM was more expensive.

heres a nice video from VARTA about the AGM & EFB battery tech . . (subtitled)

They say, if you have an EFB then you can "upgrade" to an AGM . . . . But if already have an AGM then replace it with AGM "dont step back to EFB".

so the word is . . . if you have the choice and the cash . . . . fit AGM.

Reactions: Jlo
I'll second/third that, I'd class AGM as an upgrade to EFB, just looking at the relative prices of the two types, like for like, rarely will you pay more for an inferior product

..... and so a pure tecnical discussion of AGM versus EFB becomes a ££ discussion. Then I propose to wait until the Brexit starts and import taxes has to be paid.....

I'll try to explain what I mean ;)

It's the same as asking why 98 octane gasoline is more expensive than 95 octane gasoline.
All depends what are the technical needs?

If your engine needs 95 (low compression ratio) you may put also 98 (high compression ratio)
in the tank and it will run fine. Vice versa is not recommended.

If your engine needs an EFB (start/stop & warm environment) you may put also an AGM (several electrical consumers in the camper)
and all will work fine. Vice versa is not recommended.

And of course, in these 2 cases you can always choose the most expensive one............:giggle:.

(So far my comparison with the Brexit :sneaky: )

Ok yes this has been discussed a few time but couldn’t see the answer I require..

I’ve got a 2016 start line with stop start and my battery needs changing. I’ve got a couple of questions.

1st is can I buy a bigger battery to replace my old AGM one ie 95ah 850a Bosch
2nd is..does anyone know if the battery registration is up and running on carista yet..

If you have any recommendations on a good battery please put it forward..

Thanks

Last edited:
Have a look here...

2nd is does anyone know if the battery registration is up and running on crista yet..

If its a 2016 Euro 5 engine then NO. Carista does not support support battery registration for those models at the moment.

I'd expect Carista to have the battery registration up and running unless their website is misleading?

2E55E011-82B0-4E78-8953-50F80F08C99B.png

Back