Starter battery negative connection(s)

T6 Syd

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Apologies for perhaps starting a new thread when this is covered elsewhere, but I am being a bit slow and just wanting to check.

I have a vw shunt on the negative terminal but also a few other connections, probably from the camper conversion. I have seen in other threads that this should not be done as the system will not recharge there battery properly and it will eventually go flat.

However, my starter battery has not gone flat (yet), after nearly two years like this. That said, I have a solar panel and not sure whether that may charge the battery. I also have to admit that I added a cheap trickle charger between the leisure battery and the starter battery. I did that after the starter battery did give a low charge/voltage warning but I put that down to the van having been parked for a few days whilst camping with the doors opening, radio used occasionally etc.

Also, when I have connected my OBDeleven to investigate other faults it has indicated battery charging amps high or overcharging or something similar. Is that a symptom of the battery taking more amps/charge than the system expected due to the unmetered usage through the 'extra' connections on the negative post?

Should I move the extra connections to a suitable 'earthed' bolt?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_4309.jpg

Yes ...

Those extra cables need connecting to chassis.

You can fit a small busbar near the battery, then run a fat cable to the light bracket bolt or other.

Many thanks,

All the connections can reach the light bracket bolt so it should be an easy changeover.

I should have asked - as the monitoring system has been duped so I need to reset it somehow?

Many thanks,

All the connections can reach the light bracket bolt so it should be an easy changeover.

I should have asked - as the monitoring system has been duped so I need to reset it somehow?
It will self adapt over the next 10 drive cycles.

Or take the NEG terminal off the battery for a few mins....

That will trigger a basic relearn of the battery.... Again about 10drive cycles before you will notice the stop start kicking back in.

Back