keith baker

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Just had my claim for a new starter battery (AGM) turned down because the parasitic voltage was excessive and is caused by the installation of a leisure battery. This was before I told them that the fuse to the leisure battery was removed but they stuck to their story and wanted to charge £115 for their time. The resting voltage is about 11.7V after being switched off for an hour. I guess it’s been dropped too low at some time.

I think the standard VW setup is unsuitable for use as a camper because the standard 75Ah battery is rarely charged to more than 80% because of the smart alternator so effectively a 60Ah. If the battery shouldn’t be discharged to more than 50% then I’ve got a useage of 60 – (75/2) which is 22.5Ah (even less if the van is doing a regen when arriving on site and the fans are blowing). Now considering the van’s consumption when on site and not being run, unlocking and locking, courtesy lights on and whatever else the van does, I see from another thread that the diesel lift pump runs for a few seconds when the driver’s door is opened.

What are my options? Replace the courtesy lights with LEDs, stop using the driver’s door whenever possible, fit a larger AGM battery – anyone know the maximum that would fit and any issues doing that?

Ideally I’d like to use the excess from the solar and mains hookup to top up the starter battery from the leisure battery but I don’t want to do much faffing around when arriving on site.

I’d appreciate any comments and advice.

What make/model is your starter battery?
I assume you are aware of the MOLL battery issues?

I'm not sure how they can blame it on the leisure battery installation unless your dc-dc charger is active all the time?
When we pitch up, I always turn off the overhead lights and once the seats are swivelled there is no need to open the drivers' door, so as long as the radio isn't used (use a Bluetooth speaker) it should be no different to being sat outside the house.
If they claim parasitic drain, perhaps you can track it down a bit.

Also, why not put a charger on the starter battery and see if you can condition it. (you could charge this on hookup when camping for a couple of days and see if it recovers.

Good points and yes there's not much need to open the driver's door, but there's still a lot of locking/unlocking. I've charged it with my ctek a few times so think a cell is faulty?
I'm already using the ctek for the leisure battery on site as the charger provided is a basic unintelligent unit. I'll just have to use that on the starter battery every few days.

Any suggestions for a replacement? What's the max size that will fit?

Is it worth swapping my standard agm 68ah 680a battery for my less then 6 month old Bosch 80ah 740a?
I only ask this because the new stop start magical witchcraft generators I keep reading about and not wanting to blow anything up20191024_111116.jpg 20191024_111050.jpg

No it doesnt seem to say AGM anywhere. Ok thank you for the quick reply, I am glad I didnt just swap it over.

Yep, if you have stop/start you will have a Factory AGM battery, (or possibly the cheaper inferior EFB+ type)

you can replace this battery . . . but it NEEDS to be AGM type.

And the same size or larger . . . . upto the max physical size the battery location will take, (think i managed a low profile 110Ah in the last T5.1 engine bay)

also note if you are replacing a old battery, the new battery should be "registered" in the van ECU. (workshop scanner/VCDS type diagnostic tool)

also note if you are replacing a old battery, the new battery should be "registered" in the van ECU. (workshop scanner/VCDS type diagnostic tool)

Now that is news to me, I have vcds so when in that position will have a google to see what I need to do.

Has anyone fit a larger starter battery or can they be upgraded to say agm instead of the efb.
I'm already on my second VW battery.
It has the varta after the moll was changed.
I seem to get 9 months and they die due to it been a low use camper.
Van's great except these batterys.

Thanks I mite have to give it a shot.

It's under warranty so I guess they will supply another battery.
I was wondering if i could fit a larger agm battery as it sounds like they are a step up from the efb that VW supply.
I guess VW didnt supply the batterys for the purpose of a camper.

Thanks I do keep topping it up with a trickle charger.
If I can just bolt a larger agm in I think that may be worth a shot.
I already got an isolator to the split charge feed so in winter it is only trying to keep up to the starter battery.
I think these batterys are fine for a panel van but possibly not ideal when you have a full low use camper.

Mine is now almost 4 years old and both batteries, vehicle and leisure, are still just fine.
I think it is important you keep them charged at all times and never fully discharge them.
Now I have said that they will probably die.......
You might find this chart useful

these guys list an 017 upto 90ah ( but to check the dimms first) and a 2-4year warrenty

Dimensions (mm):
353L x 175W x 175H

Volkswagen Transporter LCV Batteries | The Battery Guys

Buy Car Batteries & Leisure Batteries Online - Express Next Day Delivery - Alpha Batteries

these have list a 110 battery H: 175MM X W: 175MM X L: 315MM again 80-85ah

BatteryMegastore Van Batteries

VOLKSWAGEN TR SPORTER T32 SPTLN TDIBMT SA (01968) NA
Manufacturer
VOLKSWAGEN
Model
TR
Year
Fuel
NA
Please Check Against Your Current Battery
Location in Vehicle