Luke's Caravelle

Job done earlier this afternoon and everything seems to be good. It did flash up with a warning about ACC, which is odd as I don't have ACC!? Hopefully this is something to do with it needing coding.

Tapping into the CANBUS was a bit daunting with all the wires but once I got eyes on it all, the instructions made sense.

20200201_155845.jpg 20200201_155854.jpg

I also fitted the new seats, that extra height adjustment is going to be great.

Last edited:
Prior to a quick run out to check the tyre pressures and a quick wash I did a Carista scan today, there is a few fault codes as expected. They are mostly to do with the lights and one says "the wrong code".

The Silver Machine however runs fine but I did notice that the windows do not open or close from the remote anymore. It must be related to the tow bar wiring. I checked that it is activated on Carista and it is. Hopefully it will resolve itself when coded.

I'm now thinking about getting my own VCDS kit. How hard can it be?

Also got the Napoli wheel/tyre combo back on. I think she's sitting pretty...

20200202_162343-01.jpeg

View attachment 59726

Last edited:
Cheers @Deaky, the battery went flat last week and I disconnected it friday night. I'll have a look after tea and let you know.

Almost completed the leisure battery install. Ran all the cables, fitted the battery and just about to make the final connection but the hole in the connector is too small for the bolt!
20200207_195624.jpg

The cable is the long red one which connects to the starter battery + and, if I've understood the instructions and manual correctly, connects to the +in bolt on the CTEK.

Thing is, I'm doubting what I've done now!

Edit: It turns out that I ran the cable the wrong way round! Thanks @travelvolts for the pointer.

Last edited:
Yep thats the alternator input so is where it belongs, the other terminal in picture is the solar input

Those crimps tend to collapse if you try to drill them out especially if the metal on the edges thins to much, the two numbers stamped into it are the cable size it accepts followed by the hole diameter in mm, looks like a 10-6 and guessing you will need a 10-8 or even a 10-10 which will have a larger head

Yeah, I didn't think it would drill, the crimp isn't wide enough for the hole to be any bigger and maintain its integrity. I'll have to see if I can locally buy some of the bigger crimps you've suggested, if not I'll get some delivered or knock something up temporarily.

Once again, cheers for the tip.

Edit: remembered about and dug out my mixed crimp pack!

Last edited:
Note to self. Don't take short cuts!

20200208_103627.jpg

Fitted a new crimp which allows the bolt to pass through.

20200208_104445.jpg

All wired in and working perfectly. Everything is back together and not a nut or bolt left over.

20200208_112142.jpg

I've not wired anything into it yet but the plan is to use the existing interior LED lights circuit and the 2 x 12v sockets in the rear. On top of that I'd like to add a USB or two in the rear and maybe a couple of LED lights, separate to interior circuit, in the tailgate. Oh aye, also the erberspacher. I need to order the bits for this including a fuse box.

Also designed a tool. It's called a cable catcher. Patent pending...

20200208_115835.jpg

Last edited:
A bit of progress today. I needed some ramps to make the erberspacher install easier. Unfortunately, the nearest place I can find that definitely sells them is 2 hrs away, so, I made some instead.

20200217_115153.jpg

I also remade and trimmed the bed board with an extra 200 mm of length to make the bed 2m long which should suit me a bit better. Now I need to buy a mattress which I've been putting off until I got to this point.

20200217_140541.jpg

I've been working on the erberspacher install for the last couple of days. My favourite part was drilling into my beautiful Caravelle dash...

20200220_104955.jpg

Which turned out nicely...

20200220_201802.jpg

This was closely followed by drilling 2 x 65mm holes in the floor and step. All went well and there is hot air blowing out the pipe. This is double good as it is the first thing I've ran off the leisure battery so it proves that too.

I've got a bit of making good to do but I need various clips and seat parts to arrive before I can call it job done.

20200220_201825.jpg

The only bit of the Erberspacher kit I'm not impressed with is the air recirculation pipe end piece. I can't get it to fit for love nor money. I think that there might be a piece missing. Par example...

15822280483908999014521200899293.jpg

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Webasto ones are better I just can't find the info at the moment.

Evo design lower captain's seat magnetic trims fitted today. Need to get something with a stronger bond to hold the heater outlet in place. I put a couple of dabs of silicone on it and taped it down but it has just come off when checking over it.

20200301_144559.jpg

20200301_144535.jpg

If I was to do it again I'd drill the hole more centrally on the board as the ducting would naturally have gone that way. As it stands the magnets are only just strong enough to hold the board in place. I'll probably end up replacing them with some Neodymium ones.

Last edited:
Curtains have arrived but...

They are the wrong colour; grey instead of black, which I might be able to live with if they weren't for a LWB T4!!

Pretty gutted as it's been a right pain getting them here.

Last edited:
A bit of progress today. I got fusebox fitted under the passenger seat, a volt meter and 6 x usb ports in the passenger b pillar and 2 x LED down lights in the tailgate.

I made a base from 4mm ply with a piece of 18mm ply atop to attach the fuse box too. The 4mm part fit under the seat base and is secured using the seat base bolts. I'm quite chuffed with it.

20200308_131409.jpg

I put a little switch in the circuit so I can turn off the volt meter and USB sockets, and, just because.

20200308_113914.jpg

20200308_163815.jpg

The wiring for the lights was a right royal pain in the posterior but with some help from my good lady and a knitting needle we got the flex routed and the lights are working.

20200308_161228.jpg

20200308_191314.jpg

Last edited:
I made a drawer yesterday. It's a very simple construction from 9mm ply. It's not off to win any awards for design or workmanship but it'll tide me over until I can get my hands on a slidepod. Just need to figure out how to mount the sliders so it will move in and out.

20200325_145504.jpg

20200325_150842.jpg

Back