Luke's Caravelle

They are on... just in time for the rain to wash off the blue from the lettering.

20190130_144700-01.jpeg

20190130_144828-01.jpeg

Only one hiccup being the 'high quality' locking nut on the last wheel rounding off. Apparently quite common on VAG vehicles. Managed to get it off in the end with some help from a mechanic friend. It's fubared however so i'll be needing a new bolt and key...

20190130_144808-01.jpeg

Edit: while I had the fronts off I pulled the arch liner out in order to do a bit of sound proofing, alas there was no need. When I tapped on the steel there was no ringing or tinniness just a solid thud which is a sure sign that it's pretty well soundproofed already, from the inside. Good work Volkswagen!!

Last edited:
If my plans of buying are 4motion do not come in to fruition I think I want to get the Velle set up for some light off roading duties. I know it's only 2WD but I think it will be more suitable for the kind of places I like to camp.

First part is to remove the rear spoiler. Anybody got any tips? I've heard that fishing line is good for cutting the silkaflex or whatever they used at VW to fit them but I'm worried about there being bolts in there too. I guess there is only one way to find out!

I'd also really like to fit a fit for purpose roof rack so I can have a roof top tent (eventually!). I still need to finish off the bed inside the van too but it should be good for 4 - 5 people, 3 of which are kids, which will be cool.

Also going to need some wheel arch protectors, limo tint the rear windows and I'm giving some serious thought to the 2WD Seikel Desert lift kit and maybe some Black Rhino Barstow Wheels to finish it off.

I think id be more inclined to sell the "Velle" and start again with a 4 motion. The Velle is a different type of vehicle than what you are after

If my plans of buying are 4motion do not come in to fruition I think I want to get the Velle set up for some light off roading duties. I know it's only 2WD but I think it will be more suitable for the kind of places I like to camp.

First part is to remove the rear spoiler. Anybody got any tips? I've heard that fishing line is good for cutting the silkaflex or whatever they used at VW to fit them but I'm worried about there being bolts in there too. I guess there is only one way to find out!

I'd also really like to fit a fit for purpose roof rack so I can have a roof top tent (eventually!). I still need to finish off the bed inside the van too but it should be good for 4 - 5 people, 3 of which are kids, which will be cool.

Also going to need some wheel arch protectors, limo tint the rear windows and I'm giving some serious thought to the 2WD Seikel Desert lift kit and maybe some Black Rhino Barstow Wheels to finish it off.
If you do remove the spoiler, will you be flogging that and the splitter?

I think id be more inclined to sell the "Velle" and start again with a 4 motion. The Velle is a different type of vehicle than what you are after

I am so inclined but I've got an aim & a budget and at present a mild conversion of the caravelle is looking like the most sound option. Plus, I love the factory refinement of my caravelle. If it was 4motion it'd be brilliant, factory sunroof... perfect!!

Various shots from the rear, showing the cooker slider and central slider out, the central one is designed for a fridge but we use it for storage with the IKEA boxes that you see. The fridge is shown in the van in one of the photos above.

This would finish it nicely either way!

If you do remove the spoiler, will you be flogging that and the splitter?

Yeah, based in Naples though so we'd have to sort that out. PM of you're interested mate.

The Caravelle proved itself invaluable again after a wonderful week camping in Villetta Barrea in Abruzzo. Some cracking scenery but I was too busy taking it in to take any photos! Filled the week with canoeing, cooking on an open fire, hiking and watching the kids enjoy the wilderness.

20190811_234454.jpg

After the heat on the road I've decided it was time to darken the window tint. I went for Limo Black from the B pillars backwards and I'm well chuffed with the result. All for €200 too!

IMG-20190816-WA0013.jpeg 20190816_133535.jpg

Finally got the Multiflex board in. Should have cut it as one piece but it works for us in two. I'm off to drill a couple more holes in the bottom of the steel frame to secure it a bit better and maybe a couple of batons. That said, its solid enough for me to rest my head on which is a good stress test!
20190906_Bed&Board.jpg

20190906_192812.jpg

20190906_Interior_Bed&Board.jpg

I like that it doubles up as a sturdy parcel shelf too...

20190906_ParcelShelf.jpg

20190906_192754.jpg

20190906_192825.jpg

20190906_193314.jpg

Last edited:
Spacers fitted. 25mm front, 40mm back. Runs fine and I like the look but I might consider dropping back to 35mm at some point.

20190919_192815.jpg

20190919_193044.jpg

Last edited:
Had a couple of nights camping in Abruzzo this weekend. It's getting a bit chilly at night now, I'll have to wait until next summer to sleep in hammock! The mountains are definitely looking autumnal. We could hear the Red Deer rutting through the night, unfortunately didn't manage to see any despite some sounding pretty close.

20190922_191629.jpg

20190922_191905.jpg

20190922_191822.jpg

A bit of chilli and tatties...

20190922_191847.jpg

Back home in time for pizza!

20190922_190157.jpg

Last edited:
Joined the 500 mile club this tank full, mostly motorways and mountain A roads with a few tracks and fields thrown in for good measure!

I reckon about 34 mpg but will figure it out when I fill up.

I've come to realise that it's very sensitive to how its driven in respect to mpg.

20190929_165032.jpg

The parcel shelf came in very handy...

20190928_180120.jpg

Got a battle scar from underestimating the width of the silver machine through a narrow road in a small hillside town.

20190929_165545.jpg

I've had some plans brewing for the wing mirrors anyway so this has made my mind up. Just waiting for some deliveries!

Got woken up by this making a racket...

20190928_071803.jpg

And visited a bear sanctuary and met Sonjia.

20190928_154905.jpg

Last edited:
The Caravelle proved itself invaluable again after a wonderful week camping in Villetta Barrea in Abruzzo. Some cracking scenery but I was too busy taking it in to take any photos! Filled the week with canoeing, cooking on an open fire, hiking and watching the kids enjoy the wilderness.

View attachment 49067

After the heat on the road I've decided it was time to darken the window tint. I went for Limo Black from the B pillars backwards and I'm well chuffed with the result. All for €200 too!

View attachment 49068 View attachment 49069
Hi Luke - do you happen to know what percentage tint they used, am looking to get mine done but need to consider what is already on with the factory tint. Thanks Will

Hi Luke - do you happen to know what percentage tint they used, am looking to get mine done but need to consider what is already on with the factory tint. Thanks Will

Hi @WillF I don't off hand but I'll have a look at the paperwork I got later. I know he only gave me three choices, which was fine as I wanted it to be as dark as possible so chose the darkest.

Hi @WillF, I finally got round to looking. Unfortunately there is nothing on the documents I got. If I was to take a guess I'd go for 100%. Its very dark and even right up close to it you can't see a lot. I asked for limo tint if that helps.

My son saw a car on a day out which had a black camo wrap down the side and said he'd love it if I did something similar to the Silver Machine, I wasn't keen though. However, I got thinking about wraps etc and thought I'd have a go on the wing mirror covers. Did it today and whilst it's not perfect I'm quite chuffed with the results. I had to buy some cheap wrap from China to get the pattern I wanted and the quality was not there which didn't help. Here's some photo's anyway...

20191030_171339.jpg 20191030_171432.jpg 20191030_171545.jpg 20191030_171617.jpg 20191030_171634.jpg

Hi @WillF, I finally got round to looking. Unfortunately there is nothing on the documents I got. If I was to take a guess I'd go for 100%. Its very dark and even right up close to it you can't see a lot. I asked for limo tint if that helps.

My son saw a car on a day out which had a black camo wrap down the side and said he'd love it if I did something similar to the Silver Machine, I wasn't keen though. However, I got thinking about wraps etc and thought I'd have a go on the wing mirror covers. Did it today and whilst it's not perfect I'm quite chuffed with the results. I had to buy some cheap wrap from China to get the pattern I wanted and the quality was not there which didn't help. Here's some photo's anyway...

View attachment 53597 View attachment 53598 View attachment 53599 View attachment 53600 View attachment 53601
Thanks @Lukavell yeh it’s defo a limo tint and I’m looking at getting some black KMC Holeshots on to replace the std wheels but so expensive - they might have 2 wait.

Like the finish on your wing mirrors and the snow camo style

I finally replaced the wind reflectors with a Team Heko set after one of the old ones fell out on the road last summer. I also did a bit of rear spoiler removal and tailgate restoration... 15783235713986195336413389466529.jpg 20200114_205805.jpg

Back