Luke's Caravelle

Ahh yes went in for first service after two years and they found an oil leak at crank pulley.
New seal didnt fit so they measured endfloat and crank was massively out of tolerance, no cranks available nor short engines either so VW replaced a 10k engine with a whole new unit.
Sorted all my DSG lag problems too so much m happy and had a loan Q5 for 2 weeks too!

First trip out as a family in the caravelle complete. Absolute pleasure to drive and really happy with the MPG. According to the MFD I got 45 dead on but it's about 7.5% optimistic so about 41. However, the range has been pretty accurate so far. I'm loving this because my old 2.5 kombi would not break the 500 mile mark and this is predicting 675 at present! That said it'll go down now because it'll all be local runs for a couple of weeks now.

20180401_143757.jpg

We went down to Paestum in Campania Italy, just south of Naples. Lovely spot, friendly folk, great food and wine and well worth a visit if you're ever this far down. Famous for Greek ruins and buffalo mozzarella. Anyhow, here's a photo of the 2600 year old Greek temple!

20180331_115408-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, the old T5 is gone on to his next owner. Got 13.5k for it in the end which is a good for the new owner but it saved me a ton of hassle and expenditure to get it back and into the UK.

Anyway, did a bit of de-badging the rear end of both cars today...

20180529_145517-01.jpeg

Looks much cleaner.

.. I wish the grill was gloss black too....
Funnily enough I only noticed that difference with the Sportline this week, when I saw a happy customer collecting his newly-upholstered van from DK Schweizer - the difference is so clear that I don’t know why VW don’t change the lower grille to match. Is there such a thing as an OEM gloss lower grille or are they all aftermarket / sprayed?

Funnily enough I only noticed that difference with the Sportline this week, when I saw a happy customer collecting his newly-upholstered van from DK Schweizer - the difference is so clear that I don’t know why VW don’t change the lower grille to match. Is there such a thing as an OEM gloss lower grille or are they all aftermarket / sprayed?
Not sure that there is to be honest. There are loads of companies that do it and I would have thought that if it did exist from the factory the Sportlines or Caravelle's, at least Executive spec, would come with it. All boils down to the few pennies they can save by not providing them gloss.

There’s no options on the lower grilles for finish it’s with or without PDC and front radar but everything is standard matt plastic

Last edited:
I like the Matt plastic. I’m having my badge less grill textured and painted to match the lower grilles next week

I've taken the sportline spoiler off today, just not doing it for me anymore. I'm going to keep it standard for a while and see how I feel in a couple of months.

View attachment 35232
Argh, what’s happening to me?

I bought a T5 style ABT splitter but changed my mind, then bought the T6 ABT splitter and had it sprayed... but now think that I’m changing my mind again as I’m coming round to the look of the OEM Sportline splitter!!

Let me know if you decide to leave it off the van.. :whistle:

Cheers folks, I think I've done the right thing.

Just installed the LED kit from travelin-lite and it works a treat. Got rid of the dash light. However, I used the Halfords LED bulbs which were already installed rather than the ones supplied with the kit as they were too blue and didn't match the headlights like the Halfords ones do.

Also, the cheap Chinese LEDs I put in the step light had begun to fail so I replaced them with some red ones, might go for blue next as I'm not convinced about red.

I've just had a quote for:
6,5J x 16 5x120 65,1 ET51
BF-Goodrich 235/70R16 All Terrain T/A KO2 104/101S

All together 750 euros...

About 650 quid so pretty certain I'm off to go for it but looking at willtheyfit.com and reading on here I think I'm going to need at least 25mm possibly 30mm spacers all round. Being a relative new comer to spacers does this sound right and feasible to folk?

Back