lebb2017

VIP Member
T6 Guru
IMG_0974.jpeg
IMG_0914.jpeg
Just picked up my van on Saturday. Eventual plan is to fit windows all around, a pop top, some sort of bench/sliding bed and some storage cubes.

I have never done anything like this, have a very basic set of tools, and mostly no clue what I’m doing!
However, I plan to learn. And I’ll be taking my time.

Made a start today on removing the bulk head and some of the ply. Got a bit stuck with the rivets which I’ll need to drill off.
But I’ll save that for another day.

Today I learned:

-How to switch the drill to screwdriver mode.
-What a socket drill bit is.
-What a pop rivet is.
-Vans always seem to be full of loose screws & bits of metal!

View attachment 198347
View attachment 198348
Just picked up my van on Saturday. Eventual plan is to fit windows all around, a pop top, some sort of bench/sliding bed and some storage cubes.

I have never done anything like this, have a very basic set of tools, and mostly no clue what I’m doing!
However, I plan to learn. And I’ll be taking my time.

Made a start today on removing the bulk head and some of the ply. Got a bit stuck with the rivets which I’ll need to drill off.
But I’ll save that for another day.

Today I learned:

-How to switch the drill to screwdriver mode.
-What a socket drill bit is.
-What a pop rivet is.
-Vans always seem to be full of loose screws & bits of metal!
I was exactly the same, one bit of advice would be to use Raynes Automotive for and electrics, everything is cut to length and labelled up so you can’t go wrong. They also respond quick if you do have any questions. Good luck

Awesome.

Congratulations and good luck.

This should be an interesting build thread.

@Heath1984 thank you for the advice!
I think if I do any electrics, I’ll be leaning on friends with the know how for some help / to just do it for me! Leaning toward having a portable battery at the moment anyway.

Rivets drilled out (with some help) and the bits left behind grinded down rather than punching through as they might have ended up rattling around.
IMG_0983.jpeg
Now it’s ready for the windows I just ordered from camper glass.
Next job - order pop top!

Removed the ply floor and gave it a little sweep/hoover. Even more screws found underneath!
IMG_1042.jpeg IMG_1044.jpeg IMG_1050.jpeg

Managed to put some silent coat on 3 sections and some thermo liner in 1.
That’s taken me many hours.
Pleasantly surprised with only 2 cuts from the silent coat. I think my little roller saved my hands.

IMG_1053.jpegIMG_1055.jpeg

IMG_1059.jpeg

Also been out to B&Q and picked up the plastic bottle insulation. Although that was clearly a bit eager as it’ll be a while before I’m ready for that.

Absolutely gutted to open the windows up and find both sliding windows damaged. One completely smashed to bits and the other just a chip in the frame.
IMG_1109.jpeg IMG_1112.jpeg

Now need to wait for THQ to resolve.
Thankfully all the others are ok.

Hopefully you get it resolved.

I had an issue with something I ordered from THQ, and they sorted it out very quickly with no fuss.

My van now “sounds like a golf” - and while I was there, pushed the new dash seal in as well.
IMG_1179.jpeg IMG_1181.jpeg

Pop top is ordered and luckily my friends husband is a fitter so hopefully can get that done next month, along with the windows.
All the camper glass is now safely stored away, intact!

I also ordered a fridge today - the Alpicool K25 - as it had dropped the price back to £218 (on Amazon) which I thought was very reasonable. I’ve seen it lower but only with a voucher.

Did some carpeting tonight.

It takes forever!

It got dark before I knew it and I only managed to carpet 2 panels.

IMG_1392.jpeg IMG_1393.jpeg
IMG_1394.jpeg

I haven’t decided on carpeting the whole van yet. In my head I like the idea of just having the panels carpeted in this silvery grey and leaving the bare metal. I’ll have windows all around anyway.
But if I do end up carpeting the whole van, I’ll do it two tone so go for a darker grey for the rest.

Did some carpeting tonight.

It takes forever!

It got dark before I knew it and I only managed to carpet 2 panels.

View attachment 200925 View attachment 200926
View attachment 200927

I haven’t decided on carpeting the whole van yet. In my head I like the idea of just having the panels carpeted in this silvery grey and leaving the bare metal. I’ll have windows all around anyway.
But if I do end up carpeting the whole van, I’ll do it two tone so go for a darker grey for the rest.
personally I would carpet the van as well, condensation could be a big issue if you don't plus much cosier at night

Thanks @Heath1984 - I knew there must be a reason why I can't seem to find many pics of vans with bare metal!
The 4way stretch carpet from kiravans is really good quality, it's amazing how easy it is to use. Once you have sprayed both surfaces don't worry about time, you have ages to play with it and get it right. First side took me twice as long as the second, it's easier than you think once you get going, good luck

The 4way stretch carpet from kiravans is really good quality, it's amazing how easy it is to use. Once you have sprayed both surfaces don't worry about time, you have ages to play with it and get it right. First side took me twice as long as the second, it's easier than you think once you get going, good luck
I have carpet from THQ at the moment. But for the rest, I will look at Kiravans. Thanks for the info!

Back