Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this hasn’t already been asked, but there are 14 pages to read through, do average speed cameras with their APR capability know if you’re registered as N1? Or is it just when you get the radar gun and pulled over by an actual copper?
Speed restrictions have nothing to do with N1 or M1, they merely apply to body types and tonnage as registered at the DVLA. Because ANPR cameras are linked to the DVLA they will obviously have a record of your registration details and vehicle type. A real live policeman obviously has access to the same information.
www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Hope this hasn’t already been asked, but there are 14 pages to read through, do average speed cameras with their APR capability know if you’re registered as N1? Or is it just when you get the radar gun and pulled over by an actual copper?
Honest answer. Not sure. Try not to get too hung up on the N1 stuff. The point of the thread is more awareness of what equates to a dual purpose vehicle. If you believe you are dual purpose and you get a NIP then you have the knowledge to contest it.
Cheers

Thanks DPS & Thogg. I’m a VWT newbie and it seems quite easy to end up overthinking everything.

Thanks DPS & Thogg. I’m a VWT newbie and it seems quite easy to end up overthinking everything.
No worries.. if you ever have a specific traffic law question then hit me up either here or with a PM. I’ll always do my best to give you a definitive answer.

From my understanding of the workings of my local safety camera partnership, your VRM is simply run through the DVLA database. Depending on the data in the relevant fields, it's just a case of a machine spitting out a Notice of Intended Prosecuation (NIP), if the values populating the field are above the legal threshold.

Dual purpose vehicles. Perhaps easier to think along the lines of an estate car. Just so happens some kombi vans may fall into this criteria. I think the 4x4 reference maybe has something to do with Land Rover type vehicles. It stops them being restricted to the lesser speeds.

Just my opinion, but the legislation on speed limits needs overhauled and updated. It's over complicated and no longer fit for purpose. Vehicle technology has moved on. Speed limit legislation has sadly not kept pace. There are some daft anomalies in there, with respect to basically mechanically identical vehicles having different speed limits, depending on classification. ie M1 T32 Shuttle v N1 T32 panel van.

Coordinated lobbying from various motoring organisations and group's would be an idea to getting this situation fixed for the better.

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance but other than do a camper conversation to my t6 t30 kombi, is there anything simpler and cheaper I can do to it to allow me to drive up to 70.
I find it so frustrating holding the thing back to 60.

Please excuse my ignorance but other than do a camper conversation to my t6 t30 kombi, is there anything simpler and cheaper I can do to it to allow me to drive up to 70.
I find it so frustrating holding the thing back to 60.
Hi,
The cheapest option is to have a look at the weight.. if you are less than 2040kg and meet all the other requirements of dual purpose as detailed in this thread.. then you can do the higher limits.
Cheers

Interesting and very recent data point to add to this thread, particularly with the claimed direct interfacing with the DVLA and DoT on which to base their article. I like the simplicity of the decision criteria here :

T5 & T6 Speed Limits - Jerba Campervans

I saw this some time ago, but its not correct-

On the V5 (DVLA ownership certificate) for every vehicle there is one key heading that will provide the answer. Under Section 4 refer to heading D5 titled Body Type – if the van is classified as either a Motorcaravan or a Van/Side Windows then the vehicle is considered to be the same as a regular car and hence 70mph on a motorway /dual carriageway or 60mph on a single carriage road is allowed.

My Panel Van and a lot of others are classified Van/Side Windows, but lower speed limit apply, not car limits,as stated above.

So I read this whole thread.

I’m not sure if I’m being a mong...

But my new standard t32 kombi

How fast can I go in it?

Find your unladen weight. If it’s less than 2040kg it’s car speed limits. If it’s more than 2040kg it’s not.

Oops, I better slow it down a little on the single/dual cabbageways then. My bus is 2213kg, no more blasting down the local carriageways for me :(

Not sure I follow the unladen weight part?

I read this T5 & T6 Speed Limits - Jerba Campervans and determined that because I have van/side windows I'm fine at the normal speed limits. My van is a T32 LWB and weighs more that 2040KG.

Since then I've been through dozens of ANPR controlled roads at ~70MPH and never had a ticket.

So on that basis I don't believe the weight is relevant.

I read this T5 & T6 Speed Limits - Jerba Campervans and determined that because I have van/side windows I'm fine at the normal speed limits. My van is a T32 LWB and weighs more that 2040KG.

Since then I've been through dozens of ANPR controlled roads at ~70MPH and never had a ticket.

Ok. You are free to believe whatever you wish! Just for clarity. Here is the definition of dual purpose. Again.

Dual purpose vehicles

A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either:

• constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle
or

• permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows - there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas

Consider yourself fortunate then. Other folk have been pinged. They have said so on this forum, and have only avoided the ticket by being able to prove dual purpose and weight by showing V5 and paragraph from the refs.

It’s like with any speed device, one day you may go past it and it’s loaded, or that car you’ve just passed might just be an unmarked police car and the traffic officers in it might be having a lean day.

If you want to chance your arm on the law of averages and that there are not enough Police Officers out on the roads, best of luck. You might get away with it forever. But then again you might not.

If you have a Kombi, and your mass in service as indicated on your V5 states 2040kg+, simple fact is that you can not pull the “dual purpose vehicle” card out of your sleeve as per determination in construction and use regs.

My Kombi is over 2040kg, so I do my very best to stick to the 50/60/60 limit. Granted sometimes I go over it, who doesn’t, but when I do I know I am running a risk. You could try and baffle the bobby at the side of the road quoting a paragraph of the regs they may not be overly familiar with. They’ll still ticket you and tell you to prove otherwise, and I’d like me your V5 reads over 2040kg, you are buggered. If you are under, appeal the ticket send in a copy of your V5 and the appropriate paragraph, it’ll be cancelled.

@Thogg has given very clear guidance over a couple of years on this, and as an ex-Roads Policing Officer, I am inclined to listen to him, and as he is leaving the forum, I thank him for aiding us to stay on the right side of the law, and help us maintain our perfectly clean licences.:thumbsup:

Over a long journey the time saving can mount up, if you can maintain the higher speed.
But do you want to get there now ... or would you rather enjoy the company of your T6?

Yes. M1 so it's same as a car with respect to speed limits. If your Shuttle is a 9 seater (8 passenger plus drivers seat) then it's 1 seat short of being a minibus. A minibus (M2, subject to weight) would also now be restricted to 62 mph from the factory.

Thanks. Best to double check and at least we avoid the Kombi grey areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back