H4 To H7 Upgrade

My H7 upgrade

I put uprated bulbs in my H4s, which made them adequate, but wanted something half-decent. I have been checking eBay religiously, and bid a few times, but not managed to get any at a price I was happy with.

Then @Minimucks pointed out a set on Facebook marketplace. I couldn't find those ones (that's a whole other story!) but spent the evening trawling through the marketplace. OMG it is awful! Search for VW T6 headlights and you get every vehicle under the sun. Anyway, I digress. Perhaps because it is so difficult to find anything, I came across a set which had been up for sale for a couple of months. £80 plus £15 delivery. Some slight scratches on one light, but fully functional. Bargain!

Because of the great price, and as I would have access to them, I decided to get some of the white DRL replacement bulbs, and an uprated set of H7s. I went for just one set on the Dipped only.

[Edited to link the actual bulbs I bought]

Before, dipped beam:
[Edited to say - that is with Philips 150%, not standard H4]

View attachment 95681

After:

View attachment 95682

(Note scientifically placed calibration markings :slow rofl:)

View attachment 95687

Unfortunately I deleted the picture of 1 white DRL with 1 OEM (yellow) DRL, but they are significantly whiter, a much nicer look.

The Philips H7s also looked a bit better, difficult to tell in the light, but seemed to make a difference.

Put it all back together (used the Transporter HQ video, also helps to have removed bumper once before) and only one piece left over! I had a bulb error and I think one DRL was not in correctly, so I fiddled with it, and it came on, but the holder stalk thing came away. But it started raining and got dark, so that is sitting in the van!

Also need to get them coded, so if anyone in Stockport / Greater Manchester could do this for me, beer tokens are waiting :thumbsup:

Will get some video snapshots at New Year to compare with my H4s.
I’ve got vcds but I’m over near Holmfirth if you’re ever over this way. I do get over Stockport way sometimes if you’re in no rush. You’re welcome to use it to set both dipped/main to come on together.

I’ve got vcds but I’m over near Holmfirth if you’re ever over this way. I do get over Stockport way sometimes if you’re in no rush. You’re welcome to use it to set both dipped/main to come on together.
That’s very kind of you @Bigsidavies !

Not going anywhere at the moment, so anytime you are passing would be great :thumbsup:

My comparison (all on dipped headlights):

1 = H4 (Standard)
2 = H4 (Philips X-tremeVision Pro150)
3 = H7 (also X-tremeVision Pro150 in the dipped)

H4 H4+ H7+ comparison.jpg

The third one was earlier in the day, but you can imagine it would be an even bigger difference if it were darker.

And no, I don't have a standard H7 picture; I swapped the bulbs before I put them in. I wasn't going to take the grill off again!

If you have H4 and just want better bulbs, I recommend the Philips.

But if you can manage to swap them, and can't afford LEDs, get the H7s, and uprate the bulbs while you are at it.

Swapped my H4's for H7's today....not really a job for the middle of January, but at least it's done now
Also swapped the drl's & side lights for led's and no bulb warning lights so am happy with that

20210117_144017.jpg

20210117_162929.jpg

• Love
Reactions: CAB
Is there anyone round the Sheffield area with vcds that could enable the full beam & dipped to be on together??

What brand of LEDs did you use?
Osram drl's, also Osram night breaker main & high, I re used the side lights from my H4's as I know they dont flicker
Just had a quick run round the block and there is a definite difference from the H4's

Last edited:
Osram drl's, also Osram night breaker main & high, I re used the side lights from my H4's as I know they dont flicker
Just had a quick run round the block and there is a definite difference from the H4's

You beat me to it - I have the same conversion to do on mine but I have to admit I don't like working in the cold :rolleyes:. I bought the H7's and additional in-bumper DRL's last year but it all got put back because I wanted the interior carpeted and usable before winter. I've had 2 winters with the H4's and they can be frankly dangerous on unlit roads into oncoming traffic. During the snow we had recently I used the wife's trusty Mk2 Freelander for work and the road lighting (none LED) is on a different level. That's my fist job come spring.

Any odd-ball moments? I generally work alone but I hear its a 2-person job.

You beat me to it - I have the same conversion to do on mine but I have to admit I don't like working in the cold :rolleyes:. I bought the H7's and additional in-bumper DRL's last year but it all got put back because I wanted the interior carpeted and usable before winter. I've had 2 winters with the H4's and they can be frankly dangerous on unlit roads into oncoming traffic. During the snow we had recently I used the wife's trusty Mk2 Freelander for work and the road lighting (none LED) is on a different level. That's my fist job come spring.

Any odd-ball moments? I generally work alone but I hear its a 2-person job.
I did it myself, just got my Mrs to help me pull the bumper off and put it back on

The transporter hq video on YouTube is the simplest to follow, just look for thier guide on fitting headlights

Only bit I found awkward was the lowest of the 3 torx screws around the wheel arch liner - I have a sportline bumper add on and this covered the screw so I had to pull the sportline bit out of the way so I could get to the screw (was worried that it was going to crack)

If you don't have a sportline bumper it's easy enough, I snapped the 2 trim clips that go in the arch liner but I always keep a variety of spares so not a problem

I'm also going to do the drl's in the lower grill but I hate electrics so let me know if it's easy or not :thumbsup:

Reactions: CAB
Cheers - Yes I will.

I have a standard Highline front end with fogs. The DRL's have been sitting in the garage so long I couldn't remember who I bought them from. Just had a look and they are from TravelinLite. The harness looks decent quality but I'll be doing some more reading before the job gets started.

20210118_150105.jpg

Cheers - Yes I will.

I have a standard Highline front end with fogs. The DRL's have been sitting in the garage so long I couldn't remember who I bought them from. Just had a look and they are from TravelinLite. The harness looks decent quality but I'll be doing some more reading before the job gets started.

View attachment 99190
Are the drl grills gloss black?
That's what's stopping me foing at the moment as all my grills are matt so if I fitted the drl grills I would then need the gloss middle part and the gloss upper grill to match
Starts adding up a bit then :rolleyes:

Are the drl grills gloss black?
That's what's stopping me foing at the moment as all my grills are matt so if I fitted the drl grills I would then need the gloss middle part and the gloss upper grill to match
Starts adding up a bit then :rolleyes:

No, I considered gloss but I'm happy with the original style tbh. They are pop-out, pop-in panels and identical in colour / finish as OEM. The red highlight strips are what I particularly liked. One thing you could consider is buying the gloss grill, then selling your original as there'll always be a need for front end parts after minor bumps / accident damage. It'll put a bit back in your pot.

I didn't think you could get them in matt, might get a pair of them myself then as I'm not bothered about gloss either
Also, I already have the red strip so these would be perfect for mine

20201202_120051.jpg

Completed mine today. Added 4 x Nightbreaker lasers. Then Twenty20 Canbus led DRL’s which were huge and took a lot of effort to get in. Plus little LED side lights. No dash warnings and I’m please with the result. Just coding left to do.

View attachment 102233

View attachment 102234

View attachment 102235
Looking good.

I like the side view, which is what I see out of my front door - I like seeing that striped rectangle bit running down the back edge of the side :laugh:

Those of you buying H7s, don't forget to check the DRL bulb holders for melting. This was resolved on 2019 models with a different type of bulb holder and is not retrofitable into earlier lights.
Forgot about this, just bought 2 separate H7 units, 2015 and 2017. So I check for melting damage on the drl holders? If there is no damage am I fine to proceed fitting them?

Back