H4 To H7 Upgrade

Yeah it's gone off now, thanks. Must have just needed a bit of time to sort itself out.

And old H4's ... does everyone just scrap them? Guess no one would want them?
Upgrade them with LEDs?
--->
;)

I have LEDs in my DRLs and sometimes when the voltage was low, I’d get the bulb out light. Start for a couple of mins and back off and on, and it’d go. It’d then pop up if the voltage dropped from being parked up for a day or two.

I eventually got a helpful forum member to switch off bulb monitoring.
Ah okay, good idea. A guy on here said he'd do the VCDS to do main and dipped on together... so I could maybe ask him to turn off bulb monitoring at the same time :thumbsup:

Ah okay, good idea. A guy on here said he'd do the VCDS to do main and dipped on together... so I could maybe ask him to turn off bulb monitoring at the same time :thumbsup:
For me it made sense. I just got them all turned off. If you have auto lights, when you unlock at night you can see most of the lights to check anyhow.

Yeah it's gone off now, thanks. Must have just needed a bit of time to sort itself out.

I got £50 for my H4’s. You could try eBay singly for damage replacements, if you have the patience

I’ve been scouring ebay for H7s recently and its hilarious how much some people are asking for H4s!

They’ll sell. You just need a decent box or airwrap to package them in. As above, there are plenty of sellers asking for too much. A 99p start will get eBayers salivating

Sell them cheap then let somebody else experiment with fitting a Morimoto H4 HID module in place of the original Halogen deluminator lamp.:thumbsup:

Sell them cheap then let somebody else experiment with fitting a Morimoto H4 HID module in place of the original Halogen deluminator lamp.:thumbsup:
I like the deluminator idea, that H4s are so bad they actually suck light away so they're worse than nothing :D

There's currently a set being advertised on Facebook marketplace. £80 Inc Osram lamps.

If you search OEM Headlights you might find them.
I can't share the link he's in Eastbourne.

Morning all,

I've been reading this with interest having recently upgraded H4 to THQ V3 and whilst the lighting experience is excellent, I'm not completely happy with the appearance, preferring the OEM look. I'm struggling to justify the 3k+ LED upgrade and now considering the H7 lights. Having trawled online I can find the new Valeo parts on several sites (approx. £200 each).

I'm wondering, will this be a straight swap no cabling etc...?? assuming THQ install already made some coding changes to support the LED bulbs, should be plug/play. If anyone knows an alternative location these lights can be sourced, would be super helpful.

Those of you buying H7s, don't forget to check the DRL bulb holders for melting. This was resolved on 2019 models with a different type of bulb holder and is not retrofitable into earlier lights.

Anyone know how the drl bulb holders come out of a h7 headlight ? Just pull or twist? Just bought a set wanting to change all the bulbs before I fit them ??

My H7 upgrade

I put uprated bulbs in my H4s, which made them adequate, but wanted something half-decent. I have been checking eBay religiously, and bid a few times, but not managed to get any at a price I was happy with.

Then @Minimucks pointed out a set on Facebook marketplace. I couldn't find those ones (that's a whole other story!) but spent the evening trawling through the marketplace. OMG it is awful! Search for VW T6 headlights and you get every vehicle under the sun. Anyway, I digress. Perhaps because it is so difficult to find anything, I came across a set which had been up for sale for a couple of months. £80 plus £15 delivery. Some slight scratches on one light, but fully functional. Bargain!

Because of the great price, and as I would have access to them, I decided to get some of the white DRL replacement bulbs, and an uprated set of H7s. I went for just one set on the Dipped only.

[Edited to link the actual bulbs I bought]

Before, dipped beam:
[Edited to say - that is with Philips 150%, not standard H4]

DSC_2280.JPG

After:

DSC_2297.JPG

(Note scientifically placed calibration markings :slow rofl:)

DSC_2299.JPG

Unfortunately I deleted the picture of 1 white DRL with 1 OEM (yellow) DRL, but they are significantly whiter, a much nicer look.

The Philips H7s also looked a bit better, difficult to tell in the light, but seemed to make a difference.

Put it all back together (used the Transporter HQ video, also helps to have removed bumper once before) and only one piece left over! I had a bulb error and I think one DRL was not in correctly, so I fiddled with it, and it came on, but the holder stalk thing came away. But it started raining and got dark, so that is sitting in the van!

Also need to get them coded, so if anyone in Stockport / Greater Manchester could do this for me, beer tokens are waiting :thumbsup:

Will get some video snapshots at New Year to compare with my H4s.

Last edited:
My H7 upgrade

I put uprated bulbs in my H4s, which made them adequate, but wanted something half-decent. I have been checking eBay religiously, and bid a few times, but not managed to get any at a price I was happy with.

Then @Minimucks pointed out a set on Facebook marketplace. I couldn't find those ones (that's a whole other story!) but spent the evening trawling through the marketplace. OMG it is awful! Search for VW T6 headlights and you get every vehicle under the sun. Anyway, I digress. Perhaps because it is so difficult to find anything, I came across a set which had been up for sale for a couple of months. £80 plus £15 delivery. Some slight scratches on one light, but fully functional. Bargain!

Because of the great price, and as I would have access to them, I decided to get some of the white DRL replacement bulbs, and an uprated set of H7s. I went for just one set on the Dipped only.

Before, dipped beam:
[Edited to say - that is with Philips 150%, not standard H4]

View attachment 95681

After:

View attachment 95682

(Note scientifically placed calibration markings :slow rofl:)

View attachment 95687

Unfortunately I deleted the picture of 1 white DRL with 1 OEM (yellow) DRL, but they are significantly whiter, a much nicer look.

The Philips H7s also looked a bit better, difficult to tell in the light, but seemed to make a difference.

Put it all back together (used the Transporter HQ video, also helps to have removed bumper once before) and only one piece left over! I had a bulb error and I think one DRL was not in correctly, so I fiddled with it, and it came on, but the holder stalk thing came away. But it started raining and got dark, so that is sitting in the van!

Also need to get them coded, so if anyone in Stockport / Greater Manchester could do this for me, beer tokens are waiting :thumbsup:

Will get some video snapshots at New Year to compare with my H4s.
I'll also be doing this upgrade in the new year so thanks for the heads up.....

How much of the upgrade in performance do you think is down to the lights and how much down to the uprated bulbs?

I'll also be doing this upgrade in the new year so thanks for the heads up.....

How much of the upgrade in performance do you think is down to the lights and how much down to the uprated bulbs?

Difficult to say, I did put in one side uprated H7 and standard H7 the other, even though it was daylight and quite sunny there was a clear difference. Bear in mind that I had Philips 150% H4 bulbs in.

I think you would notice a big difference between standard H4 and H7, but if you have them on the bench with easy access, then for £25 quid dipped / £50 for both, why wouldn't you? And you have a set of spares!

Last edited:
Difficult to say, I did put in one side uprated H7 and standard H7 the other, even though it was daylight and quite sunny there was a clear difference. Bear in mind that I had Philips 150% H4 bulbs in.

I think you would notice a big difference between standard H4 and H7, but if you have them on the bench with easy access, then for £25 quid dipped / £50 for both, why wouldn't you? And you have a set of spares!
Yes, will definitely be uprating the bulbs
I've already bought Osram Nightbreakers for both the dipped & main, along with led drl & side bulbs
I have the drivers side H7 headlight.....still searching for a reasonably priced passenger side, then they'll be getting swapped over

Reactions: CAB
Yes, will definitely be uprating the bulbs
I've already bought Osram Nightbreakers for both the dipped & main, along with led drl & side bulbs
I have the drivers side H7 headlight.....still searching for a reasonably priced passenger side, then they'll be getting swapped over
Why not do the one you have, then you can see the difference :slow rofl:

Back