H4 To H7 Upgrade

if your gonna do it....make sure you do some photos before and after to help document the differences for your own comparison and so that we all know not to even think of doing it - perhaps in a dark open space, a fixed distance from a wall and perhaps from another car at a set distance away? :laugh::rofl::laugh:

Last edited:
If anyone wants to change up their H4’s, there’s a pair of H7 headlamps on eBay for £30/each.. six days left, mind.

Fitted these H7/H7 units and found them to be a significant improvement over H4 units. This kit comes with Osrsm night breaker dip and main bulbs, and night breaker led side and drl bulbs.
I found the customer service excellent. These now feel like proper headlights for the first time!

Also fitted Travelin lite harness to allow main and dipped to come on together using a separate fused live feed from the battery controlled by two relays. 15 mins to fit, and no worries about overloading the main VW harness.
I think they are on special offer on eBay.....best to ring them to double check the one you order is compatible with standard VW headlights.

Fitted these H7/H7 units and found them to be a significant improvement over H4 units. This kit comes with Osrsm night breaker dip and main bulbs, and night breaker led side and drl bulbs.
I found the customer service excellent. These now feel like proper headlights for the first time!

Also fitted Travelin lite harness to allow main and dipped to come on together using a separate fused live feed from the battery controlled by two relays. 15 mins to fit, and no worries about overloading the main VW harness.
I think they are on special offer on eBay.....best to ring them to double check the one you order is compatible with standard VW headlights.
The H7 lights can also be coded using VCDS to have the main an dip on at the same time which is how the Caravelle is set up originally I believe.
Looks like a good way to get the H7's though.

The H7 lights can also be coded using VCDS to have the main an dip on at the same time which is how the Caravelle is set up originally I believe.
Looks like a good way to get the H7's though.

Yep, what @Farnorthsurfer said! :thumbsup:

Dont bother with an extra loom when the factory capability is already built in!

If you check the member map there's probably someone local to you who could code them in for less than the looms cost!

Just did the same headlight swap but am struggling to find a guy with VCDS near Peterborough to check the dipped and main box for me. Can it only be done on VCDS?

Now its getting darker what are the H7s like on dipped? (Never had an issue with H4s on main beam)

H7s for me are a game changer from the H4s. I am running night breaker bulbs too

I find them much better. With my H4s I often found myself driving in my own shadow if a car was behind me. Haven't noticed that at all since the upgrade.

I've not got the dipped and main option active yet so when the high beam is active the low beam shuts off and there is a large dark patch. Definitely not something I can live with so hopefully will get sorted.

I was in Thetford at the weekend. Not sure when I'll next be that way but if I've not got things sorted can I give you a shout? Happy to top up your beer fund.
Yes, if you’re still stuck and coming this way at some point. Give me a shout

H4 to H7 headlights swapped and a huge improvement. Definitely need the dip/high coding done.

I cant find the member map. I'm looking for a local VCDS wizard.

Also considering the OBDeleven. Has anyone used one of these and had any luck with re-coding?

Back