H4 To H7 Upgrade

Seasonal greetings from the Netherlands!

I did the H4 to H7 swap earlier this week and find it a big improvement of both dipped and main light (the latter by simulation as coding is yet to be done), it is much better now than I assumed it would be. I felt unsafe with the H4 but now it is totally adequate. B.t.w. I fitted Night Breaker Laser Next Gen.

Hi all,

Yes I ordered O/S & N/S early this morning aswell after the price drop (Eurowagens Ltd, Valeo H7 units £164.69 each). The same lady contacted me to ask the same questions. She seemed to have issue with an H4 single unit going to an H7 double unit. I respectfully informed her they were exactly the same size and dimension but she was rather insistent I knew what I was buying. I wonder if they have had a few issues with returns from purchase error? I thought it was a nice touch though.

I already had a good idea that they were plug and play from earlier posts and my own research but I told her I would do some more, go onto the T6 forum and ring her back tomorrow. From the way she responded they obviously hold the forum in high esteem as she said 'oh yes I'd definitely recommend the T6 forum'. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I've read the whole thread again and have drawn the same conclusion especially as I drive many country lanes in the dark, that the H7's are the way to go. I'll have them coded for twin-beam when I can at a later date. One question though, sorry didn't catch who posted the suggested upgrade - did the DRL Osram LED change throw any errors up or straight forward?

Thanks to all you avid T6'rs who do all the hard work in the background. I don't get on here too much at the moment but love it when I get chance. :D
Hi Monkster,
How did you get on? We’re they a straightforward swap ?
About to order a set myself.
Best
Mark

It is straightforward. Removing the bumper takes some time (specifically the ‘plugs’ may be a handful - my advice is to have a few spare ones available and cut the head of the old ones....). Changing the headlamps themselves is a matter of a few bolts, very simple.
That (and refitting the bumper apart and some minor VCDS coding) is all it takes.

Fitting the fog lights is definitely more involving. Changing the plastic bumper inserts is not difficult, but it takes quite a bit of time and careful manipulation. Fitting the fog lights in these is again simple.
Wiring was the most time consuming : first to feed the cables to the cabin, than fit thee wires in mto the BCM plugs (it is doable but tight under the dash...).

Activation of the fog lights takes some coding too. The final result makes the amount of work definitely worthwhile.
(See pictures with and without the fog lights)

After comparing LED bulbs for the fog lights to the Halogen ones (still on the workbench) I found the LED rather useless and fitted the appropriate 55 watt night breakers in them instead

11F4BB0F-9723-40AC-B30B-52B2E783831F.jpeg

27C945A5-5CC0-4721-A827-8530FE9348D8.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to reply!
Much appreciated.
If I just do a straight swap H7/H7 twin reflector instead of the H4 units, will I need to do any recoding?
(I’m not bothering to set it up so that main and dipped come on together).

Thank you for taking the time to reply!
Much appreciated.
If I just do a straight swap H7/H7 twin reflector instead of the H4 units, will I need to do any recoding?
(I’m not bothering to set it up so that main and dipped come on together).
The only coding needed is for main and dipped working together. Though that is just a 2 minute job, this coding makes a real big difference in the main light pattern and I therefore highly recommend to find someone local to you with access to VCDS to do it for you....

Once again thank you.
One final question if you have time:
My van does not have auto levelling headlights, but does have manual electric adjustment (roller type switch under the dash near steering wheel).
Do you know whether I need to order headlight units with or without motor?
Best
Mark

Once again thank you.
One final question if you have time:
My van does not have auto levelling headlights, but does have manual electric adjustment (roller type switch under the dash near steering wheel).
Do you know whether I need to order headlight units with or without motor?
Best
Mark
I've recently done the same conversion you are looking to do...assuming your sticking with halogen bulbs in your new lights, then you don't need auto levelling and will use the roller in the same way you always did.

Where did you buy your new headlights and can you remember which brand/ model number? Motor or no motor ?

Thank you. You’ve been really helpful.
Now to take the plunge and order them!
All the best
Mark
there is also a V2 available which has sequential indicators if that tickles your fancy and also a V3 coming out soon..which might result in the price ov V1/V2 dropping...maybe? i was hanging on until then myself then the 2nd hand ones came up.

On the old h4 headlights. What is the cover over the bulb ? CAn that be cut out? Looks like it just stops all light coming out

On the old h4 headlights. What is the cover over the bulb ? CAn that be cut out? Looks like it just stops all light coming out
It’s a mirror that directs the beam into the reflector. If that wasn’t there the light would be scattered, the beam not focused and you’d dazzle on coming traffic.

It’s a mirror that directs the beam into the reflector. If that wasn’t there the light would be scattered, the beam not focused and you’d dazzle on coming traffic.

why do other cars not have this? Iv looked at a few and you just see the bulb no beam reflector? Thanks.

Also just had a look on my work van Peugeot partner, it has no light pattern cage around the bulb also friends transit doesn’t have it. Surely it can’t be that bad when taken out?

Also just had a look on my work van Peugeot partner, it has no light pattern cage around the bulb also friends transit doesn’t have it. Surely it can’t be that bad when taken out?
Surely the point is that both of those manufacturers lights were designed from scratch to work without a light pattern cage around the bulb, whereas the T6 was designed as it is?

Surely the point is that both of those manufacturers lights were designed from scratch to work without a light pattern cage around the bulb, whereas the T6 was designed as it is?

Well it’s definitely not worked aye! I’m removing mines I’ll update the results

Well it’s definitely not worked aye! I’m removing mines I’ll update the results

I guarantee it will be worse. Instead of the light being focussed into a beam it will be going in all directions, leaving the beam less intense.

if your gonna do it...make sure you do some photos before and after to help document the differences for your own comparison and for the benefit of others - perhaps in a dark open space, a fixed distance from a wall and perhaps from another car at a set distance away?

Back