H4 Headlamp Bulb Upgrade

Afternoon, this is my 1st post and enquiring about best (brighter) H4 bulb replacement in my T6, without replacing whole headlamp units. The lights are poor and just looking for a bulb upgrade, is the Philips range a good replacement?
Cheers
Glenn
Hi
I have had these on my van for 18 months now, a low cost improvement,(£17)
Nice white light and brighter.

C896CC82-0724-447C-A307-6130A9ADBA9C.png

Has any body fitted these? any good? any faults?
1588351948265.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The bulb part is really not why the T6 H4 lights are rubbish, some people have had perceived improvements over stock bulbs with unrated options but i personally just upgraded the complete headlights...night and day different!

best bet would be a read through this thread (and others) to get the options...

doesnt answer my question though, not every body can/wants to change the whole unit.
Yes I've seen/read the threads, in these times £500 for a headlight upgrade is a bit much, some of us haven't earnt any money for 6 weeks, but I've seen these bulbs for about £70 so wondered how they did.
so still wondering.

I've just realised something, what you guys should be saying is ask your question on that thread, don't start another one :confused:

I've just realised something, what you guys should be saying is ask your question on that thread, don't start another one..
You might find the answer to that question here.

:laugh: Only joking. Someone will be able to advise.

Hi,

Could some one advise me what bulbs I need for my headlights in the picture. I’m confused with side lights, drl’s, h4 and h7.

Thanks

658659D8-5125-4C91-9665-07304B845FB7.jpeg

You’ve got a H4 headlamp.

See here for help changing bulbs:

or here for general info:

Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my standard H4 headlights, which are dismally dim. I've a 2017 T6 campervan. From the forum, the Transporter HQ LED DRL V2 headlamp units look great but a bit too pricey. I see that the just changing the bulbs to Osram H4 Nightbreaker should give 150% light output at a fraction of the cost. Anyone got experience of this and would I have issues with warning lights on the dashboard, or not passing the MOT etc? If not, it looks like a viable alternative for about £25 instead of £450 ++ for new lamps?

Hello
I was just about to post a similar question. My other car is a Mazda MX5; I changed the headlight bulbs to Osram Nightbreakers some years ago and can recommend them. Sorry I can't answer your question about chaning bulbs in a T6 but I certain hope it's less complicated than on an MX5 - which entails pulling the front inner mudguards off!

Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my standard H4 headlights, which are dismally dim. I've a 2017 T6 campervan. From the forum, the Transporter HQ LED DRL V2 headlamp units look great but a bit too pricey. I see that the just changing the bulbs to Osram H4 Nightbreaker should give 150% light output at a fraction of the cost. Anyone got experience of this and would I have issues with warning lights on the dashboard, or not passing the MOT etc? If not, it looks like a viable alternative for about £25 instead of £450 ++ for new lamps?
I think the opportunities for improvement of the H4’s are very limited but there is a section on the Forum with a huge thread or two on head lamps. You’ll find many differing opinions and very likely the answers you are looking for.

I’ve got the H4 lamps with Ring Xenonmax bulbs (150+) from memory. They’re better but still awful. I’ve just ordered the Traveline-lite headlamps.

I have the Philips race vision at the moment and find them better than the osram nightbreaker.

I tried various options including Nightbreakers and even LED's, none were really satisfactory and I bit the bullet and following a ton of research on this forum I went for Transporter HQ V2 lights with 35W HID's in the H7 projectors and Nightbreakers in the H1 main beam. They're great, bright, well made and a great beam pattern and cutoff.
We shouldn't need to spend this sort of money to upgrade lights but I just want to be able to drive safely at night so I had to.

Changing to the osram or Phillips racing vision which I fitted will not give you any errors and will pass an mot. I think the brightness is ok and better than standard, obviously not as good as the swaps mentioned but try them first- bought mine from powerbulbs who always seem to be offering 25% off if you join their mail list

Many thanks for the helpful replies. Sounds as though the Philips Racer Vision are worth giving a go assuming I crack the rather fiddly fitting procedure.

Many thanks for the helpful replies. Sounds as though the Philips Racer Vision are worth giving a go assuming I crack the rather fiddly fitting procedure.
Easy to fit just find the post on here somewhere with a photo of the back of the housing, there’s also a video somewhere on you tube, once you work out how the clip works that holds the bulb in it’s easy especially if you have little hands !!

Well mine passed it's first MOT succesfully and without comment or advisories at our local VW main dealer despite having huge LED H4 lamps fitted.

Sadly the LEDs melted a hole in the workshop wall as they tested the beam alignment but otherwise all good.

On a more serious note the lamps at about £70 per pair from Amazon were a cheaper but less sophisticated alternative to the £500 upwards factory LED headlight clones.

Depending on your level of tolerance a decent LED (look for something at 50 watts plus with ridiculous lumens claims) H4 lampwill do a better job of lighting the road ahead than the stock feeble H4 halogen... additional plus is that you don't have to fork out for a separate main beam lamp although it also means you can only run main or dip not drive around with both beams on at the same time but then that's a bit antisocial around town.

Back