H4 Headlamp Bulb Upgrade

Has anyone tried the Osram nightbreaker 200 H4 bulbs as replacements for H4 headlamps? They seem to quite new, out here in Oz at least.

No, but just about to order some! Did you give them a go?
I tried them, they were a little bit better than the factory fitted ones (that's starting from a pretty low point!) but still not good enough in my opinion, so I upgraded the actual lights. I then used the Nightbreakers in my daughter's Peugeot and she said they were a huge improvement.

I tried them, they were a little bit better than the factory fitted ones (that's starting from a pretty low point!) but still not good enough in my opinion, so I upgraded the actual lights. I then used the Nightbreakers in my daughter's Peugeot and she said they were a huge improvement.
Cheers! I’m working on the basis that anything will be an improvement!

I did fit the Osram nightbreaker 200 H4 bulbs without problems and the wife is happy, she no longer has to walk in front waving a red lantern! :)

Actually there is a noticeable improvement, although nothing to get too excited over, but I can live with the headlights now.

As far as I can remember they are better than the 6V headlights I had on my 1965 T1 split screen! but that is not saying much.

Reactions: CAB
HI, I'm trying to find out what's the best led h4 headlight bulbs to fit to the original headlamps for better visibility at night, has anyone tried any with much success?

thanks

I DIY fitted some H7 units which is a bit involved removing the bumper. Programmed the dipped beam to stay on with main beam and they are brilliant compared to the H4s.

I paid £200 for the lights and I estimate it would take a paid mechanic no more than 2 hours to fit plus the coding.

For me this has been one of the best van modifications I’ve done and driving at night is much safer.

I DIY fitted some H7 units which is a bit involved removing the bumper. Programmed the dipped beam to stay on with main beam and they are brilliant compared to the H4s.

I paid £200 for the lights and I estimate it would take a paid mechanic no more than 2 hours to fit plus the coding.

For me this has been one of the best van modifications I’ve done and driving at night is much safer.
did you find them on eBay? Do all H7s replace H4 headlights without having to make modifications ?

did you find them on eBay? Do all H7s replace H4 headlights without having to make modifications ?
Yes, straight swap.

They will need coding for dipped and high beam together, but you can ask the forum for local help, or get Carista and do it yourself.

Make yourself comfortable and start here :

I'd look at the 9000s

I did fit the Osram nightbreaker 200 H4 bulbs without problems and the wife is happy, she no longer has to walk in front waving a red lantern! :)

Actually there is a noticeable improvement, although nothing to get too excited over, but I can live with the headlights now.

As far as I can remember they are better than the 6V headlights I had on my 1965 T1 split screen! but that is not saying much.
:cool:

View attachment 15638 View attachment 15639 View attachment 15641

@HHO @Bryn23 @Roadrunner @foggy3061 @PJfamilyguy @Andrew

Finally got round to fitting them today, it took 30-40 minutes to do all of them. I found removing the air-filter lid really helped accessing the drivers side.

View attachment 15642

View attachment 15643
Looks great!
I've got myself the Philips Ultinon Pro6000 H4-leds.
How did you manage the dust cover with the H4 bulbs? The Led bulbs are so much larger with the cooling fan. Thanks!

They don't fit. Some have modified the rear covers. If you'll do a search you'll find details about it. The same search will also bring up people's opinions of LED bulbs in reflector headlights.

Looks great!
I've got myself the Philips Ultinon Pro6000 H4-leds.
How did you manage the dust cover with the H4 bulbs? The Led bulbs are so much larger with the cooling fan. Thanks!
Did they need coding and can you get the dust caps back on to stop moisture

I had to modify the back of my headlight dust caps by drilling a hole with 40mm hole saw and then stuck on the black plastic top from an empty spray can using black pu adhesive.
Apparently you can get deeper dust caps on AliExpress as putting these deeper Led fan cooled lamps in various halogen headlamps is a "thing" these days.

Back