H4 Headlamp Bulb Upgrade

I had to modify the back of my headlight dust caps by drilling a hole with 40mm hole saw and then stuck on the black plastic top from an empty spray can using black pu adhesive.
Apparently you can get deeper dust caps on AliExpress as putting these deeper Led fan cooled lamps in various halogen headlamps is a "thing" these days.
That's a good modification, thanks! Happy with the led setup?

I had to modify the back of my headlight dust caps by drilling a hole with 40mm hole saw and then stuck on the black plastic top from an empty spray can using black pu adhesive.
Apparently you can get deeper dust caps on AliExpress as putting these deeper Led fan cooled lamps in various halogen headlamps is a "thing" these days.
Are these MOT compliant

I've had three MOTs passed since bunging mine in but I'm sure they wouldn't be road legal as they're far brighter than the stock MOT compliant 55 watt H4 Halogen lamp and that obviously can't be safe.
Fit them if you want brighter H4 headlights as anything other than the VW Led array headlight is going to be non MOT compliant eg. Hid or Led lamps in THQ Led array lookalikes.

I've had three MOTs passed since bunging mine in but I'm sure they wouldn't be road legal as they're far brighter than the stock MOT compliant 55 watt H4 Halogen lamp and that obviously can't be safe.
Fit them if you want brighter H4 headlights as anything other than the VW Led array headlight is going to be non MOT compliant eg. Hid or Led lamps in THQ Led array lookalikes.
Do you mean the Led headlights that Transporter HQ sell for around £600

Yarp, put halogen lamps in them and they're not going to be any better than the H7 type headlights, you might have a tidier beam pattern on dip with the projector lens over the H7 reflector but unless you code either light so that dip stays on when main beam is selected then they're a single 55 watt Halogen lamp each side and as underwhelming as the single 55 watt per side in the stock Halogen illuminated H4 headlight.
Now if you're asking me if the THQ headlights look better than the stock H4 or H7 headlight and would I want some?Then yes, along with 20" Judd wheels, arse dragging air suspension, the return of my youth and a driveway that enters from the eastward approach to my McMansion and exits west towards Laurel Canyon.

I've just fitted the Halfords own version, supposedly 200% brighter. Thrown an error and offside mainbeam not working, I'll take it out and get a replacement and check again. Definetely a brighter, whiter light but still not great driving on dipped lights.

I have just purchased H4s & they are too long . Can anybody give a heads up on this?
H4 what? Halogen bulbs? LED bulbs? Do you have a picture?

I’m assuming LED as CE marked halogen bulbs are built to a standard so won’t be too long. If LED there is info on the forum (try the threads linked above) about removing the shield and/or rear cover to allow them to fit. Worth noting LED H4 bulbs in the H4 lights are not MOT compliant.

Can anyone recommend a headlight bulb upgrade on my 2019 kombi with H4 headlamps. Got to be brighter than original factory fitted bulbs.They must also be road legal to pass mot and don’t throw up any errors on dash. Thank you all.

Can anyone recommend a headlight bulb upgrade on my 2019 kombi with H4 headlamps. Got to be brighter than original factory fitted bulbs.They must also be road legal to pass mot and don’t throw up any errors on dash. Thank you all.

There are MOT compliant H4 halogen lamps that will provide a very small improvement but in my experience, to get a significant improvement you'll have to change your headlights for H7 or proper LED units. There are many pages of content on this forum about both options.

I've read reams of posts on here many saying that they have successfully changed the standard halogen headlight H4s to LEDs but had to mess about with cutting holes in the rear light covers and adding resistors to stop flickering headlights. As LEDs are getting better all the time, are there now any updated direct replacement LEDs (H4) that fit without modification of the lamp cover and don't flicker or throw bulb errors? Any links to what people have bought that work well? I've put LEDs in other less picky cars without any issues with beam pattern and passed the mot fine.

There seems to be a growing wave against OEM LED lights - they are one of the major gripes of drivers. I’m sure aftermarket LEDs in normal lamp units cannot be any worse than some of the lights I get blinded by!

and passed the mot fine.
The rules regarding LED/HID bulbs were amended in mid-2021 so you may find it a bit different now depending how long back you are going. Having said that there are lots of retrofit ones on the road so you would be unlucky to get picked up!

My H4 were fitted with LED bulbs for 3 years and failed MoT last November
  • Nearside Headlamp light source and lamp not compatible (4.1.4 (c))
  • Offside Headlamp light source and lamp not compatible (4.1.4 (c))
Section 4.1. 4 of the current MOT inspection manuals for both motorcycles and cars and passenger vehicles states 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

Rushed out and found myself a set of H7, or go back to the candles!

Back