H4 Headlamp Bulb Upgrade

H4 are the style/model of lights. H7 are a different style (better after reading this forum) and then LEDs.

Check which you have and then get bulbs to match. I think there is a guide on here which shows how to tell the difference between lights and what bulbs are required.

What lights do you have? H4’s H7’s?

I upgrade my dipped H7 beam to Phillips 130% and that has made a massive improvement. Would had gone for the 150% but wasn’t sure what the life would be like (the 130% versions I got are around 450 hours).

Not sure you want to go down the illegal route (assume you mean LEDs in a non-LED headlight) as if you are involved in a bump they could pick up on that and not pay or blame you.

Have a search on here as there have been many topics that discuss options.
2nd that for the Phillips :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi everybody.
Can anyone tell me the correct electrical connection of the front lights of this connector, or which wire corresponds to the bulb.
Thank you.

20200127_192841.jpg

Thank You for the answer:thumbsup:

But Download in not available .

I will try with a tester.

Last edited:
I'm a little underwhelmed with the power of my THQ headlights and thinking of refitting the H4s and playing around with different bulbs - I can't afford the H7s or the OE LED upgrade.

I've seen a few threads on here with much debate on LED 'bulbs' - I don't want to reopen that can of worms but can anyone recommend some higher output bulbs that don't set warning lights off on the dash?

Wanting to fit some WOW LED lightbars in the grill at some point with a 6000k colour temp so looking for a bulb and side light bulb to match.

Seen a few T5/T6 cans out on the road with LEDs fitted to the DRLs but every time I've tried his it just throws errors up.

Can anyone recommend me a good Hi/Low H4 bulb and darl bulk with matching colour temps and good output for lots of unlit backroads?

Cheers!

Last edited:
You will be playing an awful long time with the stock H4s to try and get better lighting than you have with the transporter HQ lights (any variant!), seems a backward step to go back - are you sure there isn't an issue with alignment/bulb fitment etc?

from my own testing along with reading other options i think the following is the fairest way of ranking T6 lights (others please feel free to amend/enhance etc)

stock bulbs in standard H4 lights
upgrade bulbs in standard H4 lights
standard bulbs in THQ/aftermarket lights
upgrade bulbs in THQ/aftermarket lights
LED upgrades in THQ aftermarket lights (not road legal, but give good beam pattern and will pass MOT)
OEM LEDs (either factory fit or all the self levelling gubbins that is required for retrofit)

Loads of threads already on H4 light options, I don't intend to go over all that, I just saw a Transporter HQ video on Youtube which suggests that they have a new LED "bulb" which works in their projector bulb, they say it will go through an MOT, but admit it is not legal on road. They say it'd very bright but does not dazzle other motorists.

I know from previous threads that this is a contentious issue, I'm just pointing out that THQ are offering it, make your own mind up!

Loads of threads already on H4 light options, I don't intend to go over all that, I just saw a Transporter HQ video on Youtube which suggests that they have a new LED "bulb" which works in their projector bulb, they say it will go through an MOT, but admit it is not legal on road. They say it'd very bright but does not dazzle other motorists.

I know from previous threads that this is a contentious issue, I'm just pointing out that THQ are offering it, make your own mind up!

Thanks guys, may look into the THQ upgrade after my first MOT!

Fit hid lamps to the dipped projectors on your THQ lights, Mikem posted some pictures from his conversion, not only work well but are cheap compared to the brightest LED lamp alternative.

Fit hid lamps to the dipped projectors on your THQ lights, Mikem posted some pictures from his conversion, not only work well but are cheap compared to the brightest LED lamp alternative.

dropped that in to the list..i forgot about HIDs!

stock bulbs in standard H4 lights
upgrade bulbs in standard H4 lights
standard bulbs in THQ/aftermarket lights
upgrade bulbs in THQ/aftermarket lights
HID upgrade in THQ/aftermarket lights (not road legal, but give good beam pattern due to projector lens and will pass MOT) cheaper than LED upgrade below
LED upgrades in THQ aftermarket lights (not road legal, but give good beam patterndue to projector lens and will pass MOT)
OEM LEDs (either factory fit or all the self levelling gubbins that is required for retrofit)

Personally I'd put them below the H4s..but mainly as they don't have the strip DLRs :whistle: I expect the light output will be similar as the aftermarket design probably used it as a base drsign...but it would be good if anyone of experience of both could confirm?

Afternoon, this is my 1st post and enquiring about best (brighter) H4 bulb replacement in my T6, without replacing whole headlamp units. The lights are poor and just looking for a bulb upgrade, is the Philips range a good replacement?
Cheers
Glenn

Back