Just had the VW assist out as we have been away for one week and the battery on my van was dead as a dodo .

Tried to jump of another two batteries in parallel but would not even crank,also put on my other van and the same.
The battery fitted is a Varta not a Moll,VW assist engineer says that there is a small current draw on the van and the maximum allowed is only 0 .004 amps on full shut down (2 hrs)
I have to take it in to VW for an over nigh stay to check current drain.

Has any one else had to do this??

Did u leave anything plugged in the 12v sockets or obd2 port?

Any 3rd party kit fitted? Dash cam? Lights? Etc

no nothing plugged in i am an electrician and am very careful not to leave things plugged in,I was only away for a week and my wife's golf was standing the same amount of time and this fired up with out a fault.
I have a dash cam and rear camera (live when driving) but these were isolated.

The van was used up to the day we went (long trips) so the battery should have been at maximum.

the tech guy told me this was the 5th van over the Christmas period ?

Possible defective battery then.

Start battery is only kept at 80% charge any way.

Battery SOH/SOC testers are cheap now days £35 ish.

Most current draws under 35mA/50mA are classed as acceptable when the van is asleep.

Let us know what VW say with the overnight power test.

Makesure you haven’t knocked one of the interior rear lights to on, had this on a caddy once. Also test the existing battery as it should easily last three to four weeks without any problems unless you made loads of short journeys beforehand.

Mate of mine had this on his 17 plate 150 highline
vw assist said he was replacing 2 moll batteries a day with varta because of this problem.

UPDATE. Alright guys, just collected my van from the local VW dealership and they’ve sorted the auxiliary belt noise, and they’ve ordered a replacement battery which is also the cause of the auto stop/start never kicking in and -strangely- the rear door sometimes not unlocking on the first press of the key fob. Battery on back order and apparently VW are waiting for over 1000 to come in stock so it’s clearly a common issue. I’ll keep you posted with anymore info. Ta

Reactions: Loz
Ever since the weather turned cooler my July '17 Transporter has struggled starting and during December the battery went flat twice after the van stood unused for 2 days. This progressed to it failing to start outside a customer's house after standing for 8 hours.

My nearest Vw dealer is 8 miles from me but with Vw only allowing Vw van centre's to deal with commercial vehicle's - the nearest to me is 52 miles away :(

I phoned the van centre on the 19th of December explaining what was happening, mentioned that I was aware of there being an issue with the battery's which the service agent acknowleged - the earliest they could look at it was 3rd January but they needed the van a full day for diagnostics. So I drove the 1.5 hours to dealer, picked up courtesy van and headed back up road to get on with day's work. Just arrived home and phone went - diagnostics done, van ok, battery faulty (like I didn't know), battery needed ordered, battery on back order and won't be available for at least 5 days but they need courtesy van back for next day!!

Sure you can imagine how thoroughly unimpressed that made me, 6 hours of my working day lost, fuel in courtesy van, fuel in my own van and travelled 200 odd miles for no solution and need to do it all again when battery arrives.

Out the house at 7 this morning to catch up with jobs I hadn't got to and the van won't bloody start :mad::mad:

Rant over....

Last edited:
From what my dealer told me the system won’t let them order the replacement battery until it has been diagnosed, they can’t stock them because Volkswagen are holding them back for warranty replacements, and they won’t allow them to fit any other brand unless you pay for it

What Vw don't seem to appreciate is that the majority of the vans are bought for business use and every hour that they are off the road costs money. We don't all live 5 minutes from a dealership.
I guess this is the effect of dieselgate, cost cutting for vw which is coming back to bite them and their customers, poor show. Pay a premium price but the product doesn't appear to be a premium standard anymore.

If its a july 2017 van then you are still under warranty and able to use the "VW assist" service.

They will come out to you for the diagnostic and have 48hrs to action a fix.

if your van center is 52miles away then it might be best to start using the free service.

Volkswagen Roadside Assistance | VW Vans

For peace of mind whilst on the road, all our new vehicles come with comprehensive roadside assistance for the first three years – at no extra cost.

Our cover includes everything from flat tyres to battery problems and we’re only ever a phone call away: 0800 777 172

• Breakdown assistance
    In the event of a breakdown at home or place of work, Volkswagen Roadside Assistance will attend to either repair or recover the vehicle.
1. In the event of mechanical or electrical breakdown only, Volkswagen Roadside Assistance will arrange and pay for a replacement vehicle up to a maximum of two days. This excludes road traffic accidents.
2. Volkswagen Roadside Assistance will arrange alternative transport for the driver and up to seven passengers to the driver's destination, e.g. by taxi or train.
3. Overnight accommodation for the driver and up to seven passengers. (This does not include the cost of meals and drinks).

If its a july 2017 van then you are still under warranty and able to use the "VW assist" service.

I was just looking at the VW Assist site for cars and noticed that Assist is only availably free for a year. Do vans definately come with 3 years Assist? As mine is ex-lease 2nd hand, it didn't come with the usual paperwork and I'd hate to be caught out.

I was just looking at the VW Assist site for cars and noticed that Assist is only availably free for a year. Do vans definately come with 3 years Assist? As mine is ex-lease 2nd hand, it didn't come with the usual paperwork and I'd hate to be caught out.

3years from date of registration as far as im aware. =]

just call them and quote your reg number for 100% confirmation

3years from date of registration as far as im aware. =]

just call them and quote your reg number for 100% confirmation

Thanks Dellmassive.

I've just called them and yes, I do have the cover until Sept 20. Vans get 3 years cover but the cars only get a year. More reasons to buy a van!

Thanks Dellmassive, I would probably have been better going that route, I was still frustrated by the warranty process when I started the thread.

They will come out to you for the diagnostic and have 48hrs to action a fix.

if your van center is 52miles away then it might be best to start using the free service.

Volkswagen Roadside Assistance | VW Vans

For peace of mind whilst on the road, all our new vehicles come with comprehensive roadside assistance for the first three years – at no extra cost.

Our cover includes everything from flat tyres to battery problems and we’re only ever a phone call away: 0800 777 172

• Breakdown assistance
    In the event of a breakdown at home or place of work, Volkswagen Roadside Assistance will attend to either repair or recover the vehicle.
1. In the event of mechanical or electrical breakdown only, Volkswagen Roadside Assistance will arrange and pay for a replacement vehicle up to a maximum of two days. This excludes road traffic accidents.
2. Volkswagen Roadside Assistance will arrange alternative transport for the driver and up to seven passengers to the driver's destination, e.g. by taxi or train.
3. Overnight accommodation for the driver and up to seven passengers. (This does not include the cost of meals and drinks).

Ok, just called VW Assist because van won't start, gave all the details and lady advised AA would come out and start the van. I said that battery has tested faulty and is approved for replacement so will they just come and fit a battery?
No battery's available, van will be started and I should take it to Vw van centre!! I explained that they are 52 miles away and don't have a battery so I would be as well going to local motor factors and buying a new battery - Vw Assist lady said I need to speak to dealer as fitting non Vw battery is likely to void warranty!!

So, do I void the warranty so that I can go to work this week or do I sit in the house looking at a van that's no use losing money and customers??

One solution is to get a battery, dont tell them and when they come replace it under warranty swap the OEM battery and they will never know.

Does your insurance cover a replacement vehicle if yours is off the road?

Yeah, my own insurance covered the courtesy van but my van is kitted out with all my kit and spare parts etc, it's a toolbox on wheels so working out anything else is a pita.

Back