Battery drain (sorry, another thread)

Normally means that there is no connection between the battery and the charging system (alternator) so a potentially serious fault.

Potentially evidence that you're not suffering from parasitic drain while parked but maybe low electrical supply while driving meaning the vehicle is drawing on the battery (and not the alternator) during times of high load.

Reactions: mmi
Yes, but it only happened once very briefly. What would red battery light while driving indicate?
It would indicate the alternator doesn't work - that is, doesn't charge the battery.
Have you checked engine's ground strap? What's the charging voltage at battery, engine running, all possible loads switched on.

It would indicate the alternator doesn't work - that is, doesn't charge the battery.
Have you checked engine's ground strap? What's the charging voltage at battery, engine running, all possible loads switched on.
I will need to get that checked.

I looked at the ground strap. The studs and nuts are very rusty. Is the corrosion issue with the actual earth cable itself or is it the fact the suds and nuts are corroded an issue?

The alternator obviously is charging as the day I picked the van up the battery was flat. It started on first attempt immediately after connecting jump leads and then was fine with several stops and starts over the next few weeks. It seems to be after a few short runs, that the battery was flat again. Can the alternator be 'weak' and be charging less than it should?

Regarding testing for voltages, I have friend that does diagnostics and offered to help me out. I have no doubt he will know what he is doing but is it possible someone could bullet point exactly the tests they wuold do to check the battery and the alternator - maybe transporter specific?

I am really appreciating the time people are taking to respond to my novice questions

Phil

The studs and nuts are very rusty. Is the corrosion issue with the actual earth cable itself or is it the fact the suds and nuts are corroded an issue?
Without having hands-on difficult to say. Certainly worth cleaning and checking the cable.

Regarding testing for voltages, I have friend that does diagnostics and offered to help me out. I have no doubt he will know what he is doing but is it possible someone could bullet point exactly the tests they wuold do to check the battery and the alternator - maybe transporter specific?
Any fault codes?

With proper diagnostics tool the alternator can be run up and down to verify it's actually charging.
E.g. as below
61-meas_values_gen.png

For testing the battery itself a dedicated tester should be used although the van's own battery management (above) can give an estimate of battery's condition, aging, etc. Beside the above e.g. these below

1694551049486.png

I took my van to Gates Tyres in Carlisle, the closest of many to offer a 'free battery test'.
It was hooked up for seconds and then a little receipt was printed out staring State of Health 32%.
They said the battery was cooked.
I am not sure what constitutes a 32% result but I am going to get a new starter battery.
No sure I can afford Lithium ones yet.
So, bearing in mind I also want to spec a leisure battery, can someone suggest a pair if batteries- starter and leisure- to order?

My start up has been noticeably sluggish over the last week so today I tested my battery and the result was 35% health/ needs replaced.

That was fine, however when I started the van to drive to get a battery the red coolant light came on almost immediately so I turned back and parked up.

The temperature gauge also goes up very quickly to 130° , even from idling on a cold engine. Can these two problems be related as I had no problems prior to testing the battery, the coolant level is fine.

I do notvwant to drive it with the red coolant warning light on.

20231128_162530.jpg

Isn’t the water pump electrically powered? If the battery is shot or the electrical system has issues, maybe the water pump isn’t working properly. Then again I could be wrong.

The van wouldn't even start this morning. I have a new battery coming tomorrow, hopefully that will sort the problem.

I thought the water pump was mechanically driven however I am a novice.

I will check the aux belt when I get home, needed a taxi to work today.

Thank you very much for the replies.

So a new battery fitted today, van started temp rose to 90 and settled, 6 faults on carista, cleared them then left van to idle.
5 minutes later the fan came on, I checked the dash and oil temp back up to 130. (I think that is a false reading)

However I am not willing to drive the van with any doubt in my mind so its off to get checked by the professionals.

The following fault had came back .

Screenshot_20231130_110625_Carista.jpg

So a new battery fitted today, van started temp rose to 90 and settled, 6 faults on carista, cleared them then left van to idle.
5 minutes later the fan came on, I checked the dash and oil temp back up to 130. (I think that is a false reading)

However I am not willing to drive the van with any doubt in my mind so its off to get checked by the professionals.

The following fault had came back .

Still ongoing, I asked the mechanic to look at the auxilary belt this morning after he said they thought it was a temp sensor as the fan was starting as soon as the engine fired up, but no faults were coming up.

Back