Stripy

T6 Pro
Hi peeps
I haven't used the t6 for a month except for moving it on the drive a fortnight ago to wash it, jumped in it today and the battery was flat only showing 10.6v.

It's a full camper with a solar panel, the leisure battery had 12.9 v, I take it the split charge only works one way?

Do you think the starter battery should hold a charge longer than a month or am I being a bit optimistic.

Cheers john

Hi @Stripy I've only got a standard Kombi with single battery, but I've had mine go flat twice now when not used for about three weeks. The AA guy couldn't find what was draining it and seemed to think it should have held a large longer than that. It's on my list next time the van goes to the dealer. There has been a recall/update for something related to battery drain, which mine has had but it made no difference.

Hi @Stripy I've only got a standard Kombi with single battery, but I've had mine go flat twice now when not used for about three weeks. The AA guy couldn't find what was draining it and seemed to think it should have held a large longer than that. It's on my list next time the van goes to the dealer. There has been a recall/update for something related to battery drain, which mine has had but it made no difference.
Whilst this is not your answer, it will get you out of jail. I never leave home without one, and it will probably start you van 10 times without recharging. These things are amazing
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LZB0JR5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
61XjQc+6ZML._SL1000_.jpg
or this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/jp3/1800...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E9PZ8YBSZ67HD64GH5KJ

Cheers guys
That's interesting about a recall surf, I am charging the battery and will keep an eye on it.

Hi guys
I've also got the same problem but have a question about charging the battery.
The T6 handbook says if you have Stop/Start technology that the negative lead should not attach to the battery but a metal part of the engine (this applies when jump starting) Is this the same for when charging?
I've tried charging the battery with the positive lead to the positive terminal of the battery and the negitive lead to a metal part of the engine and after 12hours I still have a flat battery!!
Am I doing something wrong?
Cheers

I found out last Cali the battery would run down if left for about three weeks and go flat, worse I the winter. I always took it for a run around once a week. The Beach I have been using it most weeks to make sure the battery is kept charged

Hi guys
I've also got the same problem but have a question about charging the battery.
The T6 handbook says if you have Stop/Start technology that the negative lead should not attach to the battery but a metal part of the engine (this applies when jump starting) Is this the same for when charging?
I've tried charging the battery with the positive lead to the positive terminal of the battery and the negitive lead to a metal part of the engine and after 12hours I still have a flat battery!!
Am I doing something wrong?
Cheers
Good question and unfortunately I don't know @Boardbabe I only jumped mine

I'd give VW assist a call @Boardbabe, they will either come out and get you going, also plug in and check any faults, or advise you on the charging method over the phone.. Sorry best I can do at the moment.

Personally I would connect charger direct to battery.
I have had a few discussions about the reasoning for not jump starting directly from neg terminal of battery and think it's to stop the flat battery from dragging down the jump battery so much when trying to start, connecting directly to the engine block allows the jump to go directly to starter (path of least resistance) and keeps it away from flat battery to some extent, there's also the current monitor attached to negative terminal to consider as VW may want to keep us away from it in case of damage or confusing the vehicle with jump power ??
@travelvolts any contribution ??

The shunt on the battery terminal is so that the computer can judge how charged the battery is, so that it turns off the components properly when sat idle. If you do any type of charging or discharging directly off the battery negative terminal the computer does not know that you have taken or added this charge and it messes up the battery monitoring system.

Last edited:
I charged mine in the normal way using a C-tek charger , don't know if I was wrong doing it this way,
But it charged the battery fine and I haven't had any problems.

Charger was connected for around 24 hours

So what is wrong with taking the cables off the battery then charging it in the normal way then reconnect the cables? is that a no no as well

Hi Stripy.
When you say you charged the battery in the normal way - did you remove the battery and charge it or leave it connected to the van and charge it??
The manual to the battery charger recommends to remove the battery and charge but I don't really want to do that.

I forgot to say that mine is a full camper with a split charger for the leisure battery,
When I first connected my c-tex charger I noticed it was charging both battery's so I disconnected the leisure battery so that the starter battery could take all the charge.

Don't forget that when you park up and leave your van the battery will most likely already be 20% discharged. Add in all the sleeping components that need a bit of power to keep them updated and you can see why the battery will go flat over a three week period. A good many vehicles come with instructions to disconnect the battery if the vehicle is going to be left unused for three weeks or more.

Battery went flat on me today which had suspicions on why draining so quickly as used it for a long drive a week ago so thought balls i”ll call roadside assistance as people on here have been saying could be a drain fault. I've had the van from new for just over a year now and was getting suspicious about the charge on the battery. Roadside assistance came and said there has been a fault with the Batteries and put me a brand new one on. Still exactly the same one an EFB + but made from a different company. Can’t be bothered to pop the bonnet now to get make of new one but the batteries at fault are the ones made by MLA MOLL.

I’d certainly check lads if havin problems.

I've had continuing drain issues on my 9 month old T6 since March - VW have eventually replaced the battery under warranty, although their initial dealership test said the battery was 'good'! obviously n0t..

With a view to what info I have picked up on this forum and the 80% battery charge malarky I top up my main battery charge every now and then with a Ctek charger as currently I am only using my campervan once or twice a week for short journeys. The vehicle has a Tracker and Sigma alarm fitted so I guess these are both continuously using a small amount of energy in the background. When charging I connect the negative lead of the charger to an earth point on the vehicle.

I noticed that Ctek market a Connect Cig Plug lead which allows charging through the cigarette lighter plug. This would be much more convenient during the winter months. Do any members have a view on the suitability of charging this way and the likelihood of it messing up the battery monitoring system?

Great forum by the way!

Back