Strangely the auto stop/start now seems to be working. I assume that’s because the battery is now charged fully. For the last few weeks the stop/start has barely kicked in, I assumed because of the colder weather and I’d been mainly doing short trips in the van so rarely got up to full temp. But went on school run an hour ago and the stop/start was kicking in even though the engine wasn’t up to temp (I’d only driven about a mile). This is by far the most inconsistent vehicle I’ve ever owned or driven.

Strangely the auto stop/start now seems to be working. I assume that’s because the battery is now charged fully. For the last few weeks the stop/start has barely kicked in, I assumed because of the colder weather and I’d been mainly doing short trips in the van so rarely got up to full temp. But went on school run an hour ago and the stop/start was kicking in even though the engine wasn’t up to temp (I’d only driven about a mile). This is by far the most inconsistent vehicle I’ve ever owned or driven.

The auto stop start is a pain. I'd like the function to be default to off ...

After starting, it normally takes 10mins to put that draw back into the battery, but if you have lights, heater etc running on these cold mornings you can end up with a net loss on short daily trips.

I had driven the van from Wells 20 or so miles to my elderly dad’s house, another couple to the local town for his shopping, and parked up. On his return, bleh, bluh.....no battery. Dead. VW assist were great, and the AA were on their way. Did try it again over the next half hour, nothing.

Five minutes before the AA were due to arrive, tried it again, and started healthily!!!!
What the flipping heck was that about?

Do you have a Moll battery?

There is a known issue with them and the dealership should replace them without hassle.

Dodgy starter motor?

Loose battery cable?

Defective starter battery?

You didn't say what van and how old?

Dodgy starter motor?

Loose battery cable?

Defective starter battery?

You didn't say what van and how old?
2017 150 Highline man. Definitely not a loose cable, but your suggestions match my Dad’s, who also suggested a sticking bendix in the starter motor.

very good, lol, credit to your dad then.... thats old-skool mechanics line of thought.

we might need a bit more data.

how often does it happen,?

Cold or hot?

wet or dry?

before a drive or after a drive?

though either way on a 2017 you are well within warranty and that will store a fault code for a "failed start", for VW assist callout or booking it in yourself.

thinking back . . . . . . . i think the ECM stores a code saying that its fired the starter motor but failed to get a valid rpm signal from the engine (failed start) (i had a loose starter BAT+ cable on my old T5.1 and had the same symptoms and remember the fault being logged)(VW blew up the engine so it was in/out and a few cables and fixings were missed which had caused the loose starter cable)

The ECM fires the starter motor signal for ages until it registers the cam or crank rpm signal then disengages the starter supply.

have you got Carista or VCDS to do a code scan?

Carista . . . . . .
Carista - How I Done It -

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

very good, lol, credit to your dad then.... thats old-skool mechanics line of thought.

we might need a bit more data.

how often does it happen,?

Cold or hot?

wet or dry?

before a drive or after a drive?

though either way on a 2017 you are well within warranty and that will store a fault code for a "failed start", for VW assist callout or booking it in yourself.

thinking back . . . . . . . i think the ECM stores a code saying that its fired the starter motor but failed to get a valid rpm signal from the engine (failed start) (i had a loose starter BAT+ cable on my old T5.1 and had the same symptoms and remember the fault being logged)(VW blew up the engine so it was in/out and a few cables and fixings were missed which had caused the loose starter cable)

The ECM fires the starter motor signal for ages until it registers the cam or crank rpm signal then disengages the starter supply.

have you got Carista or VCDS to do a code scan?

Carista . . . . . .
Carista - How I Done It -

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

This is the first time that the engine failed to start, but on a few occasions it has sounded reluctant, usually first thing in the morning when cold and is not weather specific.
The engine had been turned off for twenty minutes while dad got his meat and papers (he insists on doing that himself at 89 to keep himself going!), but had had a good run just previously.
No engine warnings are flashing.
It goes in on Friday to VW Heritage in Bristol to fix the heater (see another post) so I will bring this up and show them your information, thank you for your help.

Cool. Ask them for the code read out. Slow starts will not be logged.

But total no starts will be..

Might just be a lazy battery so ask them to test the battery.

You could get a second opinion from Halfords. They do a free battery drop test Apparently.

Cool. Ask them for the code read out. Slow starts will not be logged.

But total no starts will be..

Might just be a lazy battery so ask them to test the battery.

You could get a second opinion from Halfords. They do a free battery drop test Apparently.
Thank you.

Same thing happened to my van. Faulty battery. If your battery is the MOLL type, VW will replace it with a better battery for free. Well, they did mine anyway.... As above, MOLL batteries are a VW known problem and are replaced under warranty.

Same thing happened to my van. Faulty battery. If your battery is the MOLL type, VW will replace it with a better battery for free. Well, they did mine anyway.... As above, MOLL batteries are a VW known problem and are replaced under warranty.

I wish! VW have to go through the protocol. I had to get recovered, AA guy said the battery was dead and needed replacing no question. It was so low I couldn't lock my tailgate. VW charged it for 12hrs, re-tested and stated that the battery was fine. The battery is 1yr old in a van with 15k miles. No doubt its going to happen again.

I wish! VW have to go through the protocol. I had to get recovered, AA guy said the battery was dead and needed replacing no question. It was so low I couldn't lock my tailgate. VW charged it for 12hrs, re-tested and stated that the battery was fine. The battery is 1yr old in a van with 15k miles. No doubt its going to happen again.

There's a VW recall code online. I will find it again for you. VW don't tell customers these things. But if you go onto the VW Van Centre service site online you will find all the recall notices....

There's a VW recall code online. I will find it again for you. VW don't tell customers these things. But if you go onto the VW Van Centre service site online you will find all the recall notices....
Thanks, but I have been in to heritage and asked about recalls, none for my reg. My van is covered under warranty & I refused to collect it until the battery was changed. They would not change it, after 5 days I had to collect. I can already feel that it will happen again shortly

***Thread moved***
***Title changed to improve search***

I’ve got a couple of these recently. My misses car was struggling to start and kept charging and it was fine again for a bit. Turns out the battery was dropping to below 50% when not being used and then struggling to provide enough grunt to turn over.

Works on Bluetooth, and stores the data so when you connect you get a historic readout. The misses car is now fine.

I have one on the leisure battery, going to get another one for the main van battery.

Might not help your issue but a good add on.

Wondered if @travelvolts could get them?

CTEK 40-149 Battery Sense https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0188TGF6W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UDjkCbTBRRBNZ

5A22974C-B27B-4C91-94C5-7B7ADE8049E3.png 50B560D6-2D0C-476B-A8B1-D312863E92CC.png

Thanks, but I have been in to heritage and asked about recalls, none for my reg. My van is covered under warranty & I refused to collect it until the battery was changed. They would not change it, after 5 days I had to collect. I can already feel that it will happen again shortly
Took it to Heritage Bristol who did the heater repair, and I cannot fault their customer service.
I mentioned the battery issue, and quoted our learned members ‘ advice, and they acknowledged the issue with some Moll batteries, BUT, VW had stopped paying the dealer for automatically replacing them, and insist that they would need to keep the van in, fully charge and test the battery, and only then if a fault showed would VW pay for the replacement battery.
I asked for my request to be logged on the system, because, like Timpo, I am sure that it will fail again, and I will invoice VW for loss of income while I take time away from my business to sort it.

Back