Almost completed my install...............has anyone had any success with trimming their original b pillar to fit the vents?

I may have some spare vent screws as i had to buy them in bags from my dealer if anyone is looking to do this.

I am also at the point of needing to trim the pillar. I have the vents but am going to have to cut my pillar cover to accept them. A little unsure of how to get the right position. Does anyone have a template?

Almost completed my install...............has anyone had any success with trimming their original b pillar to fit the vents?

I may have some spare vent screws as i had to buy them in bags from my dealer if anyone is looking to do this.
I am getting to the point where I need to install the heater, so interested in some bolts. You going to Busfest

Try some engineers blue on the foam sealing strip or water based felt tip pen applied liberally then push the cover into place against it, cut a hole in the middle and work back towards the lines checking as you go for fit.

I am also at the point of needing to trim the pillar. I have the vents but am going to have to cut my pillar cover to accept them. A little unsure of how to get the right position. Does anyone have a template?
Not sure what you mean here ?
The plastic cover ?
The plastic pillar trip does not need to be cot to accept the grilles, if they are the wrong size then you have bought the wrong combination

Try some engineers blue on the foam sealing strip or water based felt tip pen applied liberally then push the cover into place against it, cut a hole in the middle and work back towards the lines checking as you go for fit.
Probably what i'll do ......if all fails i'll just buy the right one.

I made a hole in my stock B pillar plastics to fit the VW outlets, one goes around the corner (be very careful when cutting this one as you don't want to make one leg too long) and one goes in the flat side towards the front. There were no markings showing where to cut on the inside like there are for the handles on the A pillar plastics.
IMG20190124122508.jpg

If I recall correctly, you need to lose one of the attachment points as it is in the way of the one that goes around the corner, the lower left white one in the picture above, you have to take all the plastic that forms the clip attachment off the B pillar plastic.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean here ?
The plastic cover ?
The plastic pillar trip does not need to be cot to accept the grilles, if they are the wrong size then you have bought the wrong combination
I mean the stock B Pillar plastic like the grim reaper is doing (although I am tempted to spend another £60 and get the propper part)

Screenshot_20220825-144834.pngThis is what I have. I have a Chinese desil heater fitted and working under the van but am going to have to move the heater forwad about 30-50mm to conect to the outlet.

Hoping that I can cut my standard B pillar covers but unsure how to get the correct position / measurements.
I have shuttle pillars but now Caravelle floor / rails / carpet so need to trim rear at the bottom also.

my b pillar cover had the template lines moulded into it so was an easy cut out. i bought the chinese 5kw heater because its the same external dimensions as the oem when using the vw brachets to mount

@dominic4 You need to fit the parts apart from the grilles first, then find some way of getting the foam around the Y shaped bit to leave an impression on the inside of the B pillar plastic when it is put back into place, the carefully cut the plastic so the grilles clip into the holes you make and line up with the centres of the foam edged openings.

Grim Reaper. Thanks for your post. The bit I am stressing about is getting the hole in the B pillar positioned correctly.

Finally got round to fitting the B pillar duct work. My approach:
Taped the cardboard template to the duct mouth.
Fitted the duct in place.
Drilled a few pilot / location holes in the B pillar and marked them on the template.
Removed the template and secured it to the B pillar using the location holes / marks.
Traced around the template.
Cut the shape out with a multi tool and plunger blade. One cut and no filing.
Painted the bare metal and fitted all the duct work.

pics out of sequence but they support the process I used.

View attachment 68437

View attachment 68438

View attachment 68444

View attachment 68445

View attachment 68446

View attachment 68447

View attachment 68448

View attachment 68449

View attachment 68450
I was worried about the B pillar cutting but if you use this method it really was easy. I got myself a cheap air saw that made light work of the cutting.

See post number #3 in this thread, that’s the area the duct will come up in. I drilled a big hole in the middle and then used a finger sander with an 80 grit belt on it to slowly grind away the metal back from the edge of the drilled hole until it matched the hole behind it in the end of the duct.

See post number #3 in this thread, that’s the area the duct will come up in. I drilled a big hole in the middle and then used a finger sander with an 80 grit belt on it to slowly grind away the metal back from the edge of the drilled hole until it matched the hole behind it in the end of the duct.
I think this is the way I will have to go. Make a hole then gradually work back from there.
Next weekend I have free I will have to put my big boy pants on and start cutting!

Back