Not sure if this has been posted, but if you're looking to buy the Planar heater, this company can also supply the ducting, vents and a template for the B pillar holes for an extra £165

Last edited:
alternatively, Insurefit can supply just the ducting and vents for £170 + £15 postage

Anybody fancy cutting my van to fit these as I definitely don’t have the patience for it:fast rofl:

Hmm....I've actually just booked to have my heater fitted at Exploria using the OEM B pillar ducting.
So does this mean a serious insurance implication?
I’ve fitted the b pillar vent kit in my van, I considered the following; the b pillar is a 3 layered section, the cut I made was in 1 section slightly less in size than factory, I am fitting a D2 size heater which has a lesser air throughput than the factory D3. The measurements of the hole = the size of the ducting supplied with the heater. I haven’t done the step yet and again I believe the actual hole in the metal can be smaller than factory to allow the same air input as the ducting that is supplied with the heater? In term of structural integrity, unless the factory fit a stronger piece to the lower inner B post for heaters and weaker version for non heaters, which is possible, there is no significant loss of strength. The forces to rip the seat belt anchorage out would probably be such that you would be already killed. For a side impact to be caused to be more devastating by the heater vent hole would prevent VW doing it. So after much thinking I got on with it.

Hi all, looking at doing the same as everyone else. I've seen this on ebay and wondering as its a oem vw part, would I have to remove the motherboard from the heater and fit a generic one so that I get the 3 plugs for control, pump and power?

Cheers

Screenshot_20211026-060415_eBay.jpg

Don't know if that would work, at least without some fiddling with the settings on the new controller/board to get it to run correctly as I believe the VW supplied unit is neither a 2kW or 5kW which is the usual choice for chinese replacements.
If you can get just the cradle then a chinese heater will fit, 5kW version with no problem, a 2kW needs some spacers and some suitably sized hoses to connect up to the VW ductwwork. This is a 2kW heater in the VW cradle.
heater2a.jpg

Cheers Grim Reaper, I was thinking that would be the case, I'll try locate the part number for the oem bracket, any idea on cost?

Hi all, looking at doing the same as everyone else. I've seen this on ebay and wondering as its a oem vw part, would I have to remove the motherboard from the heater and fit a generic one so that I get the 3 plugs for control, pump and power?

Cheers

View attachment 134773

If that is the Airtronic S2/M2 it will be 4Kw diesel, 3.8Kw petrol. A new ecu will cost you in the region of £400 - not cost effective!
I can make a Webasto Air Top Evo 3900 3.9Kw diesel kit like this petrol one For Sale - TSI owners - Petrol Webasto Air Top 3900 Evo 3.9Kw heater I don't have any oem ducting left though.

I can't remember how much I paid for my cradle and ductwork, it wasn't cheap, like £250 iirc . Got it from Cotswold T5 off eBay.
Be aware that the duct outlet off the California will not fit a regular Transporter, you need a different bit to connect the outlet on the B pillar to the grille on the cover.
See earlier in this thread for part numbers and differences

Back