Just wondering on members opinions on inverters. Who has them and do you use it? Worth the money spent?

Just wondering on members opinions on inverters. Who has them and do you use it? Worth the money spent?
Hardly use mine. Bit of tv but more than not use 12v. Think it can do up to 150w, hardly any use really and quite pointless

Have to agree with @paulscryer Hardly use mine, most things for camping are 12v but saying that, I wouldn’t be without it and mine is 300w but wish I’d got 1000w as that will run more options. So to answer your question. Yes I think you’re better with than without.

Similar to above, bought but never use it any more. I bought a cheap “3000W” modified sine wave jobbie as I knew nothing about them at the time and just assumed I would need one. Within a week it had wrecked my coffee maker, which was the main reason for buying it. I thought about getting a true sine wave one but I’ve given up on the idea of electric coffee machines in the van and now I have 12v chargers for my camera batteries and laptop, and everything else runs on USB I don’t have a use for one. The only thing I can think of would be if there is a female that can’t live without a hairdryer, but I can imagine it would have to be one hairy @rsed inverter and battery that could cope with that current draw

Thanks for the replies. I think if I do go for one then it would have to be victron's 12/1200. Like @andys the main idea would be for morning capsule coffee/latte machine etc or even a kettle when on day trips with kids.

I haven't needed one thus-far but due to work load etc we havent used the bus to full potential, something I am keen to change after Busfest.

Mine is there just for the kettle on day trips, and the laptop.
Much more battery efficient to get a 12v to 19v (or whatever voltage your laptop takes) charger that plugs into a 12v socket for your laptop

Alittle more work, but managing to keep the oem moulded line above the new pocket..
Drilled out speaker grille for access to Ctek kit behind. Will have to find away of re-attaching it with access,maybe strong magnets glued to inside of panel? (Deaky suggestion).

IMG-20180820-WA0023.jpg

Totally unique mate. That's why it's so good. Never been done before. Modding at it's best :cool:

Send me a diary of your vw weekends next year Fish, so i know where not to take my van. Poor thing would have some very serious jealousy issues. I fitted some wind deflectors last week and thought i was pushing the boat out. It looks the dogs b****ocks

Thought I would set my own little thread for Bert.

Next phase was today..

Sorting Dash out.. been builting up the currage for a while now..

But..
For weeks now I have been driving round in a stripped out van.. image 1.

It took 3 hrs to get the dash out.. and 3 hours to get in back in and driving..

View attachment 21479

View attachment 21480

View attachment 21481

View attachment 21482

View attachment 21483

View attachment 21485

View attachment 21486

View attachment 21487

That's a very large pair your carrying there mate, I would not even know where to start. mind you I'm a wood butcher.

So,the story behind this...
Basically a lack of space! With subs under the seat and O/S rear quarter full of I.C.E the only option was to get some small batteries(4) and all Ctek kit into the N/S rear quarter. (See previous photo's).

The plan has always been to upgrade the interior to Velle spec... this in itself has challenges as I have a LWB and many Gen6 parts are not available for LWB.

So now time to cut up a perfectly good (expensive) panel and try to make it end up as a respectable mod that meets the needs and requirements.

The difficulty with this is that I need access to the Ctek / CBE kit and any modifications need to be removable for access.

The rear battery (2/4) is to the rear of the wheel arch and have access to that via 'spare wheel jack access'.. so thats one headache done.

Next was the RCD and front battery (1/4).. this is a challenge and no easy task.

View attachment 26708
Exactly how many batteries do you have in your van?

I would still have issues with this amount.
@Deaky if all batteries are AGM the Ctek should charge them all?.

I would still ha e issues with this amount.
@Deaky if all batteries are AGM the Ctek should charge them all?.
Yes mate, but they all need to be the same amp hour. Ideally they should all be the same make and age too.

Back