Extra Door Seal/buffers

Was going to purchase a set for the T6.1 and was pleasantly surprised that the van already has these installed on the doors (based in Australia)

Since installing these seals, I get water filling up between the door seal and the sill. Every time I open the door I get the equivalent of a small bucket of water poured over my feet if I’m not careful. :D

I’ve attached a picture showing how the water pools up and where I think it’s coming in from.

Has anyone else experienced this? I‘m thinking the extra seal prevents the door from closing tight against the seal that runs along the roofline.

8CD49778-1431-405F-8840-DC80C35611B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Since installing these seals, I get water filling up between the door seal and the sill. Every time I open the door I get the equivalent of a small bucket of water poured over my feet if I’m not careful.

I’ve attached a picture showing how the water pools up and where I think it’s coming in from.

Has anyone else experienced this? I‘m thinking the extra seal prevents the door from closing tight against the seal that runs along the roofline
Other than my drivers door needing a stronger pull to close I've not noticed any pooling

Hi @vegt.
As per quicker typist above, the seal should not turn up at the front.
Try following line as this pic from a California, which has them fitted at factory.
Same for driver’s side.
Cheers, Andy

BCD94304-DE3C-4D9D-83CE-6C8EE36632DD.jpeg

Since installing these seals, I get water filling up between the door seal and the sill. Every time I open the door I get the equivalent of a small bucket of water poured over my feet if I’m not careful.

Has anyone else experienced this? I‘m thinking the extra seal prevents the door from closing tight against the seal that runs along the roofline.

View attachment 135067
Interesting, I am on my drivers door, but I thought it was just from the aftermarket speakers. Now I need to do some investigation.

Reactions: CAB
Hi
Interesting, I am on my drivers door, but I thought it was just from the aftermarket speakers. Now I need to do some investigation.
Hi @Skyliner33,
I’m still learning to ‘drive’ using the forum.
Please see attached photos of the secondary seal siting on a friend’s California, which have them from new.
Cheers, Andy

DF784409-1664-49D3-BC60-816D5E1739B9.jpeg

7F764ADC-8AB7-44A5-955F-B259C9CA004B.jpeg

The seal should not turn up at the front.
Try following line as this pic from a California, which has them fitted at factory. Same for driver’s side.

Thanks! That’s worth a try - hope I can get it to stick again after removing it.

On the California, do you know if the top end of the seal finishes similar to the photo I posted?

Hi all. As per my 1st forum post in this thread in January, I think the problem with the driver’s door not closing as well as nearside may be down to the added vent in the California, Caravelle etc driver’s doors. These vehicles come with secondary door seals from the factory. The doors and seals are different in that the doors have holes punched in them for the seals, which have corresponding dimples moulded on. The seals are not affixed using double-sided tape. They also come with the vent in the lower rear area of the driver’s door.
My thoughts are that without this vent, when the door is shut, a high positive air pressure ‘bubble’ forms between the inner and outer seals.
I only recently learned how to advise certain members of a post. So hear goes;
I would be interested in the thoughts of @Loz @Pauly @Dellmassive @Insert Coin @The Bear78 and maybe any other owners of Caravelles or Californias.

Cheers all
Andy

Oops, @vegt In my excitement I missed your second question.
The answer would appear to be that it would really need to start slightly higher than yours, and indeed mine slightly.
I think the idea is for it to just touch the original seal at the top. They both actually seem to go ever so slightly above the small black round rubber ‘buffer’.
Whether this is to stop water ingress or only to further reduce wing noise I’m not sure.
I’ll dig out the best pic of my mate’s Cali.

Andy

071F79BF-B163-4B7C-9E4B-1D9D261F22C2.jpeg

Thanks! That’s worth a try - hope I can get it to stick again after removing it.

On the California, do you know if the top end of the seal finishes similar to the photo I posted?
Have you fitted after market speakers, these can cause water in the door problems apparently. I had the 'not closing easily on the drivers side problem' having fitted them on the drivers door as recommended by the supplier (travelling lite i think) so pulled it off and refitted the same as the passenger side and now its a lot better. Taking them off meant the would not stick back on so I bought the attached tape (5mm) which has worked perfectly, its just the right width,

Mine are better since my mod but still frequently bounce. It's the air pressure that does it. With any other door or window open it shuts fine. The passenger one doesn't have that trouble

Mine are better since my mod but still frequently bounce. It's the air pressure that does it. With any other door or window open it shuts fine. The passenger one doesn't have that trouble
Have you tried/left also small gaps (10-15 mm) at the both ends of the seal - for air to the esacpe. Especially at the top?

Have you tried/left also small gaps (10-15 mm) at the both ends of the seal - for air to the esacpe. Especially at the top?
I don't agree its the air pressure. If it was drivers and passengers doors would be the same. However It was just my drivers door and when I removed the 'upsweep' at the front of the drivers door and ran it horizontal the issue went away. I think the gap there must be smaller and the rubber is causing the door close bounce.

My drivers door also needs some extra shove by close since fitting the second seals. I’ve just got used to it though. Can’t say I’ve had an issue with water collection though, so maybe your factory fit top seal isn’t closing as well now you’ve put the second seals on.

My driver's door used to be a nightmare so I did this....closes fine now. Got to be air pressure stopping it from closing properly, that's why the high end model has the air vent built in

20211030_100353.jpg

Hope to get a chance to adjust the seals later today. For now, here’s a short clip of the water after the heavy rain last night!

Jeez that is bad. Mine is just a wet step in comparison. Thats not normal, obviously. Have you identified where its from?

Back