Extra Door Seal/buffers

I don't agree its the air pressure. If it was drivers and passengers doors would be the same.
Well, the doors are actually different sizes. The right door has larger lower part, and in my reasoning the volume of forming (at closure) air pocket between inner and outer seals is much larger on the right door. Also the forming air pocket is on the far edge of the door thus amplifying the bouncing.

I think @Ozi could be right, if you had no puddles before fitting the seal the factory fit door seal was keeping the water out, now you have fitted the additional door seal maybe the original seal at the top isn’t working as well and the water is getting in

Jeez that is bad. Mine is just a wet step in comparison. Thats not normal, obviously. Have you identified where its from?
What @Skyliner33 said.

We seem to have strayed rather from @vegt ’s issue;

Re-siting the secondary seal may help to allow water out,
(my seal finishes 5mm from original curved one), but that amount getting in?

I remember one other similar instance where the seal had been fitted as yours.
The large volume of water was occurring when the van was parked on a slope, with the assumption rain was flowing in off the roof and, I believe, the door fit needed adjusting.

Maybe try testing the tightness of fit of the top of the door against the small seal the runs along the top of the door shut?

A strip of paper held in place, shut door and see if there is a slight resistance to pulling it out?
Try this all along the top of the door and down the slope adjacent windscreen.

Really hope a resolution can be found.

Andy

00949F00-8FE4-43F1-8EB8-E63CA644DCEF.jpeg

9F066F0D-1AFA-4402-BD50-22F7452104E2.jpeg

EF450E22-0589-409F-AAA5-974D7726A001.jpeg

Hope to get a chance to adjust the seals later today. For now, here’s a short clip of the water after the heavy rain last night!

If I’m understanding this properly, the problem is the way the extra seal is fitted. Water is entering (normally) at the top of the door where there isn’t a seal, running down the door but on the outside of the main seal, (so water isn’t entering the cab), and then pooling in the bottom between the extra door seal & the cill. You need to cut the additional seal back as shown on my pics, to allow water to drain. Ironically you’ve made too good a job of it. The additional seals aren’t to prevent water ingress, they are to stop dust & grime from dirtying the door reveals.
2 minutes with a Stanley knife will sort it.

Last edited:
My driver's door used to be a nightmare so I did this....closes fine now. Got to be air pressure stopping it from closing properly, that's why the high end model has the air vent built in

View attachment 135122
The high-end model has an air vent built in? That would make sense on my van as I put a Caravelle door on the passenger side but I'm not sure where this vent is?

Hi @Salty Spuds

There is another, original thin seal along the very top of the door shut area to keep water ingress.
It runs along the top above the sliding door, continues above the the front door and down to the base of the windscreen surround.
The problem may be that, depending on which aftermarket extra seals you buy, that the new seal is causing the door to not shut quite as close against the top seal as before.

My door seals from X8R seem to cause the driver’s door to stand out rather less than some others available and allow the very top seal to do it’s job.
I didn’t follow their install instructions though, as they show curving the seal along the bottom up at the front, as per OPs.

If I’m understanding this properly, the problem is the way the extra seal is fitted. Water is entering (normally) at the top of the door where there isn’t a seal, running down the door but on the outside of the main seal, (so water isn’t entering the cab), and then pooling in the bottom between the extra door seal & the cill. You need to cut the additional seal back as shown on my pics, to allow water to drain. Ironically you’ve made too good a job of it. The additional seals aren’t to prevent water ingress, they are to stop dust & grime from dirtying the door reveals.
2 minutes with a Stanley knife will sort it.
I haven’t needed to cut mine at all and the second seal is sealing perfectly without letting water in - all fitted as per instructions from THQ, including turning up the bottom of the door towards the front as they rise around the front wheel arches. So it has to be the original factory fitted seal at the top of door opening that isn’t sealing properly and letting water in.

If the issue has only arisen since the second seals were fitted, and nobody else seems to be having this issue with them, either the second seals aren’t quite positioned properly, or the new seals themselves are too thick (I know you can get them in different sizes) causing the doors to stand a little proud of the top factory fit seal.

My drivers door is driving me mad! Passenger door is absolutely fine. Never had an issue whether the other doors are open or not. I hate having to slam my door all the time and even then it’s very hit and miss. It annoys me no end.
Gonna have a play around and see if I can improve it somehow… I don’t mind removing some of it but I’m not keen on taking it off completely. The difference it makes to road noise is quite amazing.

My drivers door is driving me mad! Passenger door is absolutely fine. Never had an issue whether the other doors are open or not. I hate having to slam my door all the time and even then it’s very hit and miss. It annoys me no end.
Gonna have a play around and see if I can improve it somehow… I don’t mind removing some of it but I’m not keen on taking it off completely. The difference it makes to road noise is quite amazing.
You may already be doing this, but do you follow through with your hand, or just push the door to close whilst letting go of it?
I find that pushing it - as opposed to slamming / throwing it closed and letting go - and keeping my hand on the handle until it’s closed makes sure it doesn’t bounce open. Or leave the window down a crack and then close them via the fob once doors are shut.

You may already be doing this, but do you follow through with your hand, or just push the door to close whilst letting go of it?
I find that pushing it - as opposed to slamming / throwing it closed and letting go - and keeping my hand on the handle until it’s closed makes sure it doesn’t bounce open. Or leave the window down a crack and then close them via the fob once doors are shut.
Hi buddy. Thanks for this. Yes I’ve tried that with my hand and it works a lot of the time but I shouldn’t have to do it. Never had to with previous cars and never need to with my passenger.
Same with the window. I tried that for a while but never really did much. I’ve now deactivated the windows via my key. Never really worked properly and often came back to a van with slightly open windows!
I was having somework done on my van yesterday at Bognor and all windows and doors were open but it was still doing it :(
Think the guy removed it as a test and it stopped doing it but I asked him to put it back for now. I’ll have another look/play…

Hi buddy. Thanks for this. Yes I’ve tried that with my hand and it works a lot of the time but I shouldn’t have to do it. Never had to with previous cars and never need to with my passenger.
Same with the window. I tried that for a while but never really did much. I’ve now deactivated the windows via my key. Never really worked properly and often came back to a van with slightly open windows!
I was having somework done on my van yesterday at Bognor and all windows and doors were open but it was still doing it :(
Think the guy removed it as a test and it stopped doing it but I asked him to put it back for now. I’ll have another look/play…
It might need the striker plate adjusting for the door catch.

Any idea how I do that please and what is the part I need to adjust? cheers
This is the striker. You need to loosen the 2 spline head bolts. The striker will be stuck to the door pillar & needs “persuading” loose.
64A898A4-A357-4607-9F53-2BED7DD43EFF.jpeg

I haven’t needed to cut mine at all and the second seal is sealing perfectly without letting water in - all fitted as per instructions from THQ, including turning up the bottom of the door towards the front as they rise around the front wheel arches. So it has to be the original factory fitted seal at the top of door opening that isn’t sealing properly and letting water in.

If the issue has only arisen since the second seals were fitted, and nobody else seems to be having this issue with them, either the second seals aren’t quite positioned properly, or the new seals themselves are too thick (I know you can get them in different sizes) causing the doors to stand a little proud of the top factory fit seal.

I got mine from THQ this week. They didn’t come with any written instructions but looking on the website on the product page, the images that they have show the seals fitted along the bottom edge and not turned up at the bottom. Having read the many threads and watched the many videos, I followed their photos.

Sorry to dig this one up again but who supplies the best fitting version of these seals ?

Mine is the same and so was my T6

Wow....this subject seems to come up time and again! I've fitted them to my T5 and T6. I did a post some years ago and from memory went into detail about it. I did both mine the same way VW put them on the Caravelle...........never had an issue. I did initially buy some from a guy called Mr Resk or something similar, on another forum. I thought they were too big and didn't follow the lines of the door without wrinkling.........which completely messed up my chakra's!! I got mine from car builder solutions. Maybe I was lucky (twice) but I just don't understand what the drama is........it's the simplest most cost effective upgrade you can do. No need to slit anything or leave a ghastly gap between two pieces. Mine have been on nearly 6 years. I'm beginning to think I'm missing something here..........or the seals some people are using are just too plump for want of a better word????:thumbsup:

Back