Extra Door Seal/buffers

Umm.... may be we should say....Sounds like a California......:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have had some seals delivered today but before I fit them I just want check where they go.

What I mean is I know they go down the leading edge and across the bottom but do they return up the front edge of the door where it's shaped for the wheel arch?
Finished mine like this Rob, door sounds more solid but needs some extra oomph to shut.

IMG_20200824_173310.jpg

I put the travelin lite seals on the front doors, wow, it really makes a difference. Doors sound much better but the window also doesn't reverberate when you close the door

Is there anything similar to make the sliding doors or tailgate sound similar?

I've just discovered this is not a factory fit option within the T6.1 PV & Kombi configurator, it is however standard on the Velle.

I had the same bounce problem with the seal from eBay: VW T5 T5.1 T6 Transporter Door Seal 16 x 17mm OEM specs - Sounds like a Golf UK6
I tried trimming the seal ears to make more space for the seal to compress but it didn't work so I moved it to the next step on the door and now it's working perfectly: (lefthand door is a factory fitted caravelle, right hand was ebay seal, then cut down for better compression)

20201122_175027-COLLAGE.jpg
PXL_20201122_170312016.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Guys’ n Gals,

After over a year gleaning seemingly endless useful information on this awesome forum this is my first post. Please treat me gently.

Like many I find the road noise and tinny, hollow sound on shutting the doors an annoyance, especially considering the cost of these vehicles.

I bought the x8r seals ready to fit to my Kombi and referred to their website instructions and video, other YouTube videos and t6f regarding fitting.
I discovered and read all of the four different threads on this site.

Many have had issues with closing the driver’s door after fitting the secondary seals, noting the door ‘bouncing’ open unless slammed shut. Some have suggested re-siting the seals. Some suppliers provide alternate siting instructions and pictures.

I spent some time looking around the door and ‘reveal’.
The way the door step curves up and in it would appear raising the seal siting from the very bottom of the door could allow the door to close more easily, but would not provide as good a water, grime, draught or road noise seal.

I also wonder whether siting the seal down the rear edge of the door onto the second step in could also be allowing a less airtight seal in order for the door to close more easily?

Owners of Californias or Caravelles have noted correct factory fitted siting of the seals and Insert Coin also mentioned a panel in the driver’s door.

I decided to check a friend’s California.
Please (hopefully) see the pics below.

These show not only factory siting of the driver’s door seal, but also, as per Insert Coin, a vent at the bottom rear of the door.

I also noticed Pauly’s post on the first page of this thread showing a line drawing of the parts of a Caravelle door. The vent appears (part no. 8), but strangely, on a left hand door that does not have the cutout for the fuel filler cap.

I’m wondering whether this vent is to release the build up of air pressure at the bottom and rear of the door between the inner and outer seals as the door is shut.

I would appreciate members thoughts and, if this could be the cause of the problem, whether it may be possible to retrofit the vent, or an alternative.

Thanks, Andy

IMG_0227.jpeg

IMG_0226.png

IMG_0228.jpeg

Hi, just got some and a windscreen rubber and come with instructions. Fitting is slightly differnt for left and right door. Left door outer edge, right door middle edge.

View attachment 45381
Just to say when I bought my seals last year, I read and followed the YouTube instructions, and had issues closing the driver's door.
I then looked in the bottom of the box the seals came in and found the instructions (as above).
Refitted in the "new position" and problem solved.

@Greybeard if you're concerned that the air pressure is affecting the closure simply try each door with the other side open.
This is quite possible as the two helicopters I look after at work are essentially identical yet one requires a real slam to get the cockpit doors shut. This is only apparent when the door on the other side is closed.

Hi folks. Has anyone used these door seals for their tailgate? I've scanned through this thread but can't see much to suggest it has been done. I completed the door seals this weekend and they went on a treat (with the heatgun in hand to ensure the 3M tape was tacky enough) and sound amazing, but its the tailgate that is probably the most noisy? Can you seal this area? Thanks in advance!

Hi folks. Has anyone used these door seals for their tailgate? I've scanned through this thread but can't see much to suggest it has been done. I completed the door seals this weekend and they went on a treat (with the heatgun in hand to ensure the 3M tape was tacky enough) and sound amazing, but its the tailgate that is probably the most noisy? Can you seal this area? Thanks in advance!
The OEM tailgate seal seems to be very susceptible to leaks around the hinge area in heavy rain. Any modification such as an extra seal may reduce the compression on the OEM seal and cause water ingress.

The OEM tailgate seal seems to be very susceptible to leaks around the hinge area in heavy rain. Any modification such as an extra seal may reduce the compression on the OEM seal and cause water ingress.
Thanks @DXX - that puts the brakes on that. I was tempted to give it a go, but your point makes a lot of sense.

Thanks @DXX - that puts the brakes on that. I was tempted to give it a go, but your point makes a lot of sense.
It maybe you are hearing noise entering from the vents located left and right hand side under the bumper behind the rear wheels.
Mine are effectively blocked by furniture and lining so I’m not sure just how crucial they really are. The plastic vent is easy enough to pop out if you have the bumper off.
Rear wheel arch road noise is probably the easiest fix, this is covered in the forum if you haven’t already done it.

It maybe you are hearing noise entering from the vents located left and right hand side under the bumper behind the rear wheels.
Mine are effectively blocked by furniture and lining so I’m not sure just how crucial they really are. The plastic vent is easy enough to pop out if you have the bumper off.
Rear wheel arch road noise is probably the easiest fix, this is covered in the forum if you haven’t already done it.
Thanks again mate - sound deadening and insulation is due between 14:00 - 15:00 today!!

Could anyone tell me where I can now buy the extra door seals for the front doors on my van please ?

I fitted mine today, definately make it sound better , but now one of my doors doesn’t close first time.

Back